New Build - Top Soil & Turf Quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Build - Top Soil & Turf Quality

Hi, I purchased a new build property with the view that i'd live in it for 18 months, clear the usual snags then let it out and move back into my old house or re-mortgage, equity release and buy another one and so on...

Pretty much everything is business as usual and the builder is repairing most teething items as expected. However, during the purchase negotiations part of the deal was to have turf fitted to the garden, they did this in February prior to me moving in but could not finish it all because the garden was pretty much a swamp. Since the garden has dried out the whole garden has collapsed and is now full of divots, troughs, lumps etc. What i've also found and is a contributory factor to the sinkage is that the ground is also full of debris such as bricks, concrete, rubble, glass, plastic bags. The house comes with an LABC warranty, i've contacted them to ask about the rules for top soil. I note the NHBC is pretty clear that it must be free of rubble and hazards to a defined depth. I've also contacted the local council but not hearing back from either.

Is anyone aware of any building regulation or law that states new build gardens should be debris free? I can't imagine it's right that children playing in gardens should be cutting themselves on glass or tripping over bricks that appear up through the turf? The issue also boils down to me then being liable for tenants who injure themselves in the garden after i've let it. Doesn't feel right that I have to get the area made safe on a brand new property.

Many Thanks,

I have only ever lived in one new build property and the lawn was laid over what was essentially builders rubble.
    I'd say it was standard practice.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
      I'd say it was standard practice.
      Yep. Had friends who's new lawn was laid on top of an old carpark.

Comment

I worked on building sites for many years and when the government introduce the Landfill Tax in circa '95 we went from filling skips with debris to just burying it. On one occasion I had to bury 4 very large lampposts which were surplus and spanned 3 gardens. God help anybody that tried digging them out, especially the house in the middle!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X