Chimney pot gas compliance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chimney pot gas compliance

Out home is a Leasehold ‘house’ jutting out from a refurbished Grade2* building comprising 55 apartments. Ours is the only one with gas supply to the C19th chimney. We had a gas fire recently installed, but the chimney pot did not comply with the gas fire. According to the freeholder the existing one was ‘slid in for aesthetic purposes only’. We got planning permission to change the pot to comply, but the Leasehold Advisory Service informs me the freeholder is responsible for fitting the new pot. The freeholder says it’s ours.

who is right and how do I proceed?

What does it say in your lease about walls, roofs and structures outside the confines of your 'house' - that is where the answer lies. Ask the Freeholder to explain why he thinks it is not his responsibility. Usually it is the freeholder's responsibility.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

I wouldn't argue IIWY. Plenty of freeholders not only charge lessees for doing the job, but bung on hundreds in fees also. Sounds like you have consent to do it yourself, doesn't it?

Comment

Is this the first gas fire in this spot -- why does it have a gas supply?
        If you plan to make some amendment to your flat why do you feel other lessees should pay the cost?

In this whole thread I think we need to be careful of words -- "responsibility" versus "rights" -- and need to distinguish between responsibility to do and responsibility to pay. If the pot falls on someone's head -that will be within the responsibility of the FH so it is crazy to have you do the work -- that does not mean you should not pay for it however.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Planning for house to flat conversion
          by Hold1234
          I am interested in a property which has two flats with separate tenants already in place. The property is being sold by the family of the previous Landlord who has sadly passed. I have however been advised that there was never any planning permission to convert this property form a house to two seperate...
          23-11-2020, 15:45 PM
        • Reply to Planning for house to flat conversion
          by pilman
          That cannot be taken into account for an application for a Lawful Use Certificate.
          The evidence of 4 years use as two separate dwellings is all that is needed, because it is not a planning application and does not need to comply with an planning requirements, as mentioned in posting #7....
          26-11-2020, 14:50 PM
          by Aboosimbel
          Dear Hold 1234,
          In general you need to prove that the place was converted and in continuous use as such for at least 4 years to get retrospective planning and 10 years for building control. The main pieces of evidence are four years continuous and separate council tax, water, gas and electricity...
          25-11-2020, 18:42 PM
        • Secure Shed on Land Between Buildings
          by Gusrus
          I own and live in a leasehold flat. I’m looking at getting a new motorbike and although I can use bike covers and stuff but I would like something more substantial to protect it. Between the building my flat is a part of and the building next door is a section of land which is gated off at one end...
          25-11-2020, 08:38 AM
        • Reply to Secure Shed on Land Between Buildings
          by andybenw
          Not answering your question, but just to say I have 2 Asgard sheds and also advised purchase of one for a local sports club. They are great sheds. They go together easily, they are very secure, and they can be taken down, moved and rebuilt in an hour (at least the cycle sheds can).

So...
          25-11-2020, 18:42 PM
          by pilman
          After 4 years the change of use from a house to two flats became immune from enforcement by the local planning authority so that the current use is lawful.

An application for a Lawful Use Certificate will require a planning application although this is not a matter of gaining planning permission,...
          25-11-2020, 18:39 PM
        • Reply to Secure Shed on Land Between Buildings
          by pilman
          When you contact the freeholder ask if you can have a license to use the land and locate a small bike storage shed on it, That may be something that can be settled quite quickly if you agree to pays a small sum of money for a licence.
          Asking that this land be added to an existing Lease agreement...
          25-11-2020, 18:30 PM
        • Build rear extension to adjoining neighbours extension
          by gomo
          Hi,

I am hoping the very knowledgeable members of this forum could clarify the following;

My friend is proposing to build a single story rear extension to extend the existing kitchen and incorporate the side return of his mid Victorian terrace.

Both the adjoining...
          25-11-2020, 14:30 PM
        • Reply to Build rear extension to adjoining neighbours extension
          by pilman
          Only if there is a prior agreement to link that back wall into the existing brickwork that belongs to each of the neighbours.

You may be able to persuade the neighbours to allow that to happen since their external wall will become an internal wall kept free of weather and will not need...
          25-11-2020, 18:19 PM
        • Accesses on private driveway and planning permission
          by Fraction5
          If I have granted a right of access to a neighbours garage from my driveway, could I apply for planning permission for 5 new dwellings all with accesses from the private road which would not be adopted? I’m really asking if there can be 6 accesses or whether the garage counts as a dwelling?...
          21-11-2020, 13:32 PM
        Working...
        X