Question on Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)

I realise its not the best time to consider a development project given that the world is about to shut down and maybe end, but it helps distract me, from our impending doom.

So to my question:

Am I right in thinking that there is no CIL payable.....IF.... you are converting an office to residential, ie change of use in terms of planning categories, AND the the office has been used for at least 6 months in the three 3 years prior to planning permission being granted, AND, no additional floor space is being created, just rejigging the space into flats (property is a house anyway, just currently set up as an office).

I'm very new to CIL, and I find it very strange from a policy point of view. It seems to penalize development and house creation, at a time of a housing shortage? And it passes to developers the cost of providing what local govt should be providing (parks, schools etc). And why exempt if the office has been in use recently? That seems to penalize the development of vacant property which again, I can't understand the logic of that policy. isn't the development of vacant property something to encourage, not penalize?

Or am I missing something? !!

Look forward to being enlightened / corrected, if there's anyone out who knows about this stuff and who isn't busy toilet roll shopping ...

CIL payments depend on which local authority you are in. In my area of work and having a Neighbourhood Plan in place 25% of CIL did go to the plan area for use in the community but suddenly our new Unitary Authority banned this so CIL goes into one big pot to be bid for. This does not please me and others on my NP team.

Most developments end up with an increase in property value for the developer so someone came up with CIL to claw some of this back for the community. I have taken out a Section 106 Agreement on one of my conversions so will have to pay up when/if I sell the development.

So to answer your question Clulass - ask at your local planning department, check planning policies that might prevent your conversion and see if there is a Neighbourhood Plan in place.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Planning for house to flat conversion
      by Hold1234
      I am interested in a property which has two flats with separate tenants already in place. The property is being sold by the family of the previous Landlord who has sadly passed. I have however been advised that there was never any planning permission to convert this property form a house to two seperate...
      23-11-2020, 15:45 PM
    • Reply to Planning for house to flat conversion
      by pilman
      That cannot be taken into account for an application for a Lawful Use Certificate.
      The evidence of 4 years use as two separate dwellings is all that is needed, because it is not a planning application and does not need to comply with an planning requirements, as mentioned in posting #7....
      26-11-2020, 14:50 PM
      by Aboosimbel
      Dear Hold 1234,
      In general you need to prove that the place was converted and in continuous use as such for at least 4 years to get retrospective planning and 10 years for building control. The main pieces of evidence are four years continuous and separate council tax, water, gas and electricity...
      25-11-2020, 18:42 PM
    • Secure Shed on Land Between Buildings
      by Gusrus
      I own and live in a leasehold flat. I’m looking at getting a new motorbike and although I can use bike covers and stuff but I would like something more substantial to protect it. Between the building my flat is a part of and the building next door is a section of land which is gated off at one end...
      25-11-2020, 08:38 AM
    • Reply to Secure Shed on Land Between Buildings
      by andybenw
      Not answering your question, but just to say I have 2 Asgard sheds and also advised purchase of one for a local sports club. They are great sheds. They go together easily, they are very secure, and they can be taken down, moved and rebuilt in an hour (at least the cycle sheds can).

So...
      25-11-2020, 18:42 PM
      by pilman
      After 4 years the change of use from a house to two flats became immune from enforcement by the local planning authority so that the current use is lawful.

An application for a Lawful Use Certificate will require a planning application although this is not a matter of gaining planning permission,...
      25-11-2020, 18:39 PM
    • Reply to Secure Shed on Land Between Buildings
      by pilman
      When you contact the freeholder ask if you can have a license to use the land and locate a small bike storage shed on it, That may be something that can be settled quite quickly if you agree to pays a small sum of money for a licence.
      Asking that this land be added to an existing Lease agreement...
      25-11-2020, 18:30 PM
    • Build rear extension to adjoining neighbours extension
      by gomo
      Hi,

I am hoping the very knowledgeable members of this forum could clarify the following;

My friend is proposing to build a single story rear extension to extend the existing kitchen and incorporate the side return of his mid Victorian terrace.

Both the adjoining...
      25-11-2020, 14:30 PM
    • Reply to Build rear extension to adjoining neighbours extension
      by pilman
      Only if there is a prior agreement to link that back wall into the existing brickwork that belongs to each of the neighbours.

You may be able to persuade the neighbours to allow that to happen since their external wall will become an internal wall kept free of weather and will not need...
      25-11-2020, 18:19 PM
    • Accesses on private driveway and planning permission
      by Fraction5
      If I have granted a right of access to a neighbours garage from my driveway, could I apply for planning permission for 5 new dwellings all with accesses from the private road which would not be adopted? I’m really asking if there can be 6 accesses or whether the garage counts as a dwelling?...
      21-11-2020, 13:32 PM
    Working...
    X