Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 bed to 2 bed conversion

Hi all

First time poster here after lurking on these forums for the past week. I've just put an offer on a large 800+ sqft 1 bedroom flat and was hoping to get your input with regards to the Building Regulations. For a moment, I am assuming the landlord / freeholder may refuse consent under the lease but since these changes are an "improvement", they can't unreasonably deny consent. Even if they do, tribunal / court appeal will likely approve if the plans meet the Building Regs.

In essence, I'm looking to divide the open-plan living area into a bedroom with a permanent wall put up. Furthermore, I am looking to install a shower in the second bathroom (which may mean I would need to turn the toilet to meet the 750mm threshold). The living + kitchen space is expected to be 26sqm+ and bedroom 12sqm+ so no real concerns with regards to min building size requirements (as far as I'm aware). My only concern would be fire safety concerning doc B which is the main reason for me seeking advice here.

The floorplan of the flat is attached with outlines in red for the proposed partition. Also a link to it here: https://imgur.com/a/ytU3aDy

Reading the approved doc B, it goes into some detail about loft conversions being permitted with certain conditions being met around having a sprinkler system and fire resisting partition. However, there's less specificity around open-plan living conversions. Also, I'm not sure whether this would create an "inner room" given the various access points.

As part of my build, I am planning to use a fire resisting partition. Furthermore, the kitchen has a fire sprinkler in place and a fire alarm. The area proposed for bedroom #2 also has a fire sprinkler installed. There is an alternative exit out of the flat through the wrap-around balcony, going through the first bedroom.

Is there any way my plan would pass mustard?

Thanks

Hello

Sorry, thought I'd bump this! I'd be very keen to get any input on this.

Thanks,
    Simon

Comment

I think there may already have been an unsafe modification, in that the kitchen door seems to have been removed. I'd expect that to be a fire door.

If this is on the 27th floor, I'd say you were definitely creating an unsafe inner room, as the escape root passes through two high risk areas.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to 5 Year Private Property Licence Ended After One Year
        by Always Problems
        I made a complaint to the ombudsman which was successful. My council was really annoyed as they had refused to show me a copy of a document and the Ombudsman forced them to send her a copy which she forwarded to me.
        09-07-2020, 16:07 PM
      • 5 Year Private Property Licence Ended After One Year
        by AKRS
        Hi All, I could really use some guidance in a matter relating to the above. We were told by our agency handling our property that we needed to obtain a licence through the council. I did my research and asked all the relevant questions and found out that the licence will cost 650 for five years. Sounds...
        29-06-2020, 10:03 AM
      • Reply to Planning permission
        by Always Problems
        In this case I would ask a Chartered Town Planner, Don't contact the council apart from looking on their Planning Portal
        09-07-2020, 16:03 PM
      • Planning permission
        by dizzymill
        I am wondering if anyone can answer my question please?

There is a plot for sale in my area that has planning permission granted on it. The thing is, this was granted when the site was larger than it now is as the vendor has fenced a section of it off and built himself a log cabin style...
        07-07-2020, 18:58 PM
        by pilman
        The plans provided with the planning application will show the position and size of the house granted planning permission, as well as showing the extent of the land identified on the site plan.

The planning permission would have taken into account the area available for garden, and parking...
        08-07-2020, 12:27 PM
        by dizzymill
        Hi Tipper. It was granted for one dwelling but vendor has since built the cabin and fenced off the plot he is selling saying it has planning. But the planning was granted for the original whole site before he built his cabin that he lives in .
        08-07-2020, 10:01 AM
        by Tipper
        It probably depends on what the permission was for and how many dwellings, etc.
        Also when pp was achieved as they run out after 3 years in most if not all cases.

You can check on the local planning online to see the details, drawings, dates, etc.
        08-07-2020, 09:35 AM
      • Building Regulations Certificate
        by kennyj52
        Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but what are the circumstances to obtain a Buildings Regulations Certificate? For example building a house, an extension, fitting a new boiler, installing a new light fitting, replacing a light bulb etc?
        I currently rent out 2 properties and own
        01-05-2020, 12:27 PM
      • Reply to Building Regulations Certificate
        by Tipper
        No not too late. We had the same situation for our three holiday lets.

We pressed the installer to register the new boilers with Gas Safe who in turn send certification to the local Building Regs which is what they are supposed to do upon installation, assuming they are qualified and 'Gas...
        06-07-2020, 18:35 PM
      • Reply to Building Regulations Certificate
        by kennyj52
        Thanks for the advice all. I've had 2 boilers replaced by different installers over the last 6 years, but not received a Building Regulations Certificate from either one. I didn't ask the installers about it at the time as I was unaware of the need. Although they did provide Gas Safe Reports as requested,...
        05-07-2020, 12:27 PM
      Working...
      X