When to apply for tree felling permission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to apply for tree felling permission

We are considering demolishing our 1970's bungalow and replacing it with a self build detached. Currently we have two very large conifers (leylandii?) in the back garden and would like advice on how we can get permission to remove them. We applied to do this in 2013 but didnt carry out the works within the approved 2 year time limit. We have therefore to submit a new application.

We are wondering whether we should apply now, before we put in a planning application, and take our chances. If approved, we shan't have the worry of getting approval when the full planning application is submitted (conservation area).

Would we need to have a tree survey if we are only applying for felling - I assume we shall require a survey if felling is contained with house planning application.

I know the rules have changed since 2013 and applications to fell have to go to the Tree Commission - I'm wondering whether they are protective of leylandii.

I would appreciate any advice. Thank you

Why did you need consent to remove the trees in 2013? Are you in a conservation area? Do the trees have a TPO? You can guarantee that neighbours will miss the trees but unless they have a TPO (Tree Preservation Order) you can remove them - not exactly and endangered species. Your local council planning department is the place to ask not the Tree Commission!

I thought the time limit was 3 years on full planning consent.

You don't necessarily need consent to demolish but you have to apply to the local planning authority first but presumably you will put plans for the new dwelling in at same time. 2 birds, 1 stone.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Cutting down a tree in a garden does not require planning permission unless there is Tree Protection Order in place.

It is most unlikely that a Leylandii, which is not an indigenous species will have a TPO on it, but a visit to the local council offices to see the Register of TPO's, which are available for public view will confirm the matter.

Better to make the visit and ask to see the register rather than phone to enquire about the two trees, in case the phone call brings about an immediate Order if the council's Arborcultural Officer decided that a TPO was immediately needed to prevent the trees from being cut down.

When I was a full time property developer, the visit to see the Register was one of the first things to do after buying land for development. Then the next thing was to hire the tree surgeon to remove any trees that prevented development.

The removal of 72 Leylandii that had reached a height of over 10 metres around the whole boundary of one particular parcel of land was the most expensive task I was ever charged for, but the new detached house on the plot soon made that cost a sensible option.

Comment

Originally posted by pilman View Post
        Cutting down a tree in a garden does not require planning permission unless there is Tree Protection Order in place.
        No. Also requires approval if in a Conservation Area and includes permission to remove any trees not just those with TPO in that area including non-native species, ie leylandii.

Comment

Two Irish lumberjacks were walking past a timber yard. There was a sign outside saying 'Tree Fellers Wanted'. Paddy turns to Mick and says: 'It's a shame des only de two of us'.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X