Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planning help

Hi all

I just want to get some help on some planning issues. An architect mentioned that planning wasn’t required for an outbuilding and would come under permitted development. I had some friend of friend builders who helped with the build and lets say took it upon themselves to add water/toilet facilities and they went slightly above 2.5 meters to around 2.7. It was too late to do anything about this once we had seen what had happened. In the meantime neighbours had complained and we finally had a visit from planning well over a year ago. Due to not staying at the property we asked them to email us their findings. We did not hear from them in any way so we took that as no news is good news. Recently we received a letter stating that due to their findings it does not adhere to deemed planning permission and we would need to apply for retrospective planning permission but it does not give any reasons as to why it falls short of the rules or their findings. My question is why have they taken 15 months to write this letter after inspection with no reasons on the breach and secondly do we have any recourse? Also can we take the bathroom out and not need to apply for planning permission? What would you do in such a situation? They mention they will seek enforcement action if planning is rejected or no planning application is submitted. I’m worried this will turn into a longwinded and stressful process especially if neighbours reject the retrospective application.
    Thank you

1. What was the neighbours complaint ?
    2. Was it that you just had an outbuilding ?
    3. Was it that it was a few millimetres over size ?
    4. Was it that you had put a residential building up that was clearly residential, as it had water/toilet facilities AND a bathroom.
    Certainly not an outbuilding if it has a bathroom, etc.

Also friends / builders don't take it upon themselves to add water/toilet facilities/bathroom unless you ask them to.
    Seems like you have built a one story house, which is not acceptable.

Comment

I'd certainly expect this to sound the "beds in sheds rogue landlord" alarm with the council.

Do you live in the main property? If so, why did you not notice the water supply being laid?

If not, the beds in sheds alarm probably just increased in volume.

Amongst other things, such outbuildings tend not to have adequate insulation.

Comment

Originally posted by bubble View Post
        Why have they taken 15 months to write this letter after inspection with no reasons on the breach
        No one can answer about the delay and they don't need to give any reasons, You've built something that exceeds what you can build under permitted development and need planning permission.
        Secondly do we have any recourse
        What does that mean?
        Can we take the bathroom out and not need to apply for planning permission?
        To get it back under permitted development rules, you'd also have to reduce the height (and maybe address other breaches if there are any.

Originally posted by bubble View Post
        I’m worried this will turn into a longwinded and stressful process especially if neighbours reject the retrospective application.
        It has already become a long winded process and it will possibly be stressful going forward. This isn't something that might happen in the future, it is happening now.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I would apply for planning consent and if refused, and be prepared to accept any decision take out whatever does not comply to the rules.

There is probably new rules to stop garages being offered online for short stay or B&B.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X