Listed building consents: how to prove works (probably) took place prior to listing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Listed building consents: how to prove works (probably) took place prior to listing?

I'm looking at buying a listed building which has had obvious internal works done to it, all of which would have required listed buildings consent. No consents have been granted. However, the seller (who's owned the building for around 10 years) says that they pre-date his ownership, and that he thinks they are likely to pre-date the listing of the building in 1995. From my examination, I would say that that is a credible hypothesis.

However, is there any way of ensuring that -- given that no one seems able to prove that these works took place prior to the listing -- the council doesn't attempt to enforce reinstatement? What evidence can I ask for from the seller? Is there a listed buildings consent version of a CLEUD? (I suspect not)

I will be applying for further listed buildings consents if the purchase proceeds, so there is no option simply to keep quiet and hope the council doesn't come poking around.

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X