Planning rules for canopies - help please

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Planning rules for canopies - help please

    We want to install a patio canopy above a patio door leading to our garden. We have been looking at different options including verandas. To clarify the structure will only have a roof (glass as we believe polycarbonate roofs create too much noise when it rains) and posts to support it. We've discarded thoughts about a cantilever canopy as we do not feel the structure is as robust as those supported by posts. The freeholder has given permission but we are concerned as to whether we need planning permission. It appears we would for a veranda but have read other types of canopies (considered temporary structures) do not require planning consent. We occupy, as leaseholders, a ground floor flat in a purpose built block thus there are no PD Rights. Our canopy will not affect neighbours in the block or others.

    Any advice appreciated.

    Thank you.

    You have already answered your own question by acknowledging that there is no permitted development rights for a flat.

    That means all development needs to be granted planning permission by the local planning authority.

    The only concession is that a householder application costs less than a general planning application, although a full set of plans will be required to support the application. i.e Location Plan, Site plan and a plan showing how this structure is to look once it was erected.


      Thank you for your reply.


        I think that a canopy, open on two sides, may be acceptable.

        But if its just a roof sort of canopy, just to keep the rain off you while fumbling for your keys, just fit it.
        No one will know, from the council.
        Or have it free standing, therefore is a temporary detachable cover, then no problem. Just secure it to the outside brickwork, an into thee flags.


          Hi Ram

          Thank you. Could you explain a bit more about the freestanding structure - I am not quite clear what you mean by a detachable cover. If secured to the brickwork, would it be considered temporary?

          Thank you again.



            By a canopy, I was envisaging just a small one over the door, but think you want to cover almost all the patio ?
            Your development rights as a leaseholder is limited to walls, fences and gates. Anything else you will not be allowed to do. but once you ask the question, from your address, then they know where to look for infringements of the rules - in future !
            I only know what I have read recently, for my own project.

            I forget the link I visited, as most Gov. sites leant towards private houses, and it was not a gov. site.

            I think you are on a no-brainer on this one.

            So are you wishing to cover the whole of the patio ? If so, I think thats not possible, but check with council, saying you are just checking before you buy a ground floor flat ( no address given ) and see what they say.


              Originally posted by ram View Post
              Your development rights as a leaseholder is limited to walls, fences and gates. Anything else you will not be allowed to do.
              These are limitations on flats, not on leasehold properties.


                Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
                These are limitations on flats, not on leasehold properties.
                As I said, most Gov. sites leant towards private houses, and it was not a gov. site.
                Information is scarce on leasehold flats. So best to do as post number 6 - - "check with council"


                  Thank you for your replies.

                  The canopy we are looking to fit is a canopy over the width of the patio door.


                    Originally posted by vmart View Post
                    The canopy we are looking to fit is a canopy over the width of the patio door.
                    If similar to this---


                    Just fit one. -- Job done.

                    If the council DO trespass onto the property looking for something to do because they have no work to do in their under staffed, under funded department ( which they wont be doing ) then the worst is they will ask, is you to take it down, which could be in 10 or 20 years time.

                    I do not recommend violating laws, but for goodnesses sake - a canopy.
                    Just fit one. - as it's not impeding anyone.

                    I would have no problem in fitting a canopy tomorrow.


                      Thank you for further responses.


                      Latest Activity


                      • Dispute over boundary land
                        by cazamoran
                        This might take a while, you may want to grab a cup of tea!
                        Ill try to condense things. A friend persuaded us to sell part of our garden upon which he obtained permission and built a house. After failing to sell the house, his son now lives there. I started noticing that along the boundary wall,...
                        09-07-2020, 19:09 PM
                      • 5 Year Private Property Licence Ended After One Year
                        by AKRS
                        Hi All, I could really use some guidance in a matter relating to the above. We were told by our agency handling our property that we needed to obtain a licence through the council. I did my research and asked all the relevant questions and found out that the licence will cost 650 for five years. Sounds...
                        29-06-2020, 10:03 AM
                      • Reply to 5 Year Private Property Licence Ended After One Year
                        by Always Problems
                        I made a complaint to the ombudsman which was successful. My council was really annoyed as they had refused to show me a copy of a document and the Ombudsman forced them to send her a copy which she forwarded to me.
                        09-07-2020, 16:07 PM
                      • Planning permission
                        by dizzymill
                        I am wondering if anyone can answer my question please?

                        There is a plot for sale in my area that has planning permission granted on it. The thing is, this was granted when the site was larger than it now is as the vendor has fenced a section of it off and built himself a log cabin style...
                        07-07-2020, 18:58 PM
                      • Reply to Planning permission
                        by Always Problems
                        In this case I would ask a Chartered Town Planner, Don't contact the council apart from looking on their Planning Portal
                        09-07-2020, 16:03 PM
                      • Reply to Planning permission
                        by pilman
                        The plans provided with the planning application will show the position and size of the house granted planning permission, as well as showing the extent of the land identified on the site plan.

                        The planning permission would have taken into account the area available for garden, and parking...
                        08-07-2020, 12:27 PM
                      • Reply to Planning permission
                        by dizzymill
                        Hi Tipper. It was granted for one dwelling but vendor has since built the cabin and fenced off the plot he is selling saying it has planning. But the planning was granted for the original whole site before he built his cabin that he lives in .
                        08-07-2020, 10:01 AM
                      • Reply to Planning permission
                        by Tipper
                        It probably depends on what the permission was for and how many dwellings, etc.
                        Also when pp was achieved as they run out after 3 years in most if not all cases.

                        You can check on the local planning online to see the details, drawings, dates, etc.
                        08-07-2020, 09:35 AM
                      • Reply to Building Regulations Certificate
                        by Tipper
                        No not too late. We had the same situation for our three holiday lets.

                        We pressed the installer to register the new boilers with Gas Safe who in turn send certification to the local Building Regs which is what they are supposed to do upon installation, assuming they are qualified and 'Gas...
                        06-07-2020, 18:35 PM
                      • Building Regulations Certificate
                        by kennyj52
                        Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but what are the circumstances to obtain a Buildings Regulations Certificate? For example building a house, an extension, fitting a new boiler, installing a new light fitting, replacing a light bulb etc?
                        I currently rent out 2 properties and own
                        01-05-2020, 12:27 PM