Planning rules for canopies - help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planning rules for canopies - help please

We want to install a patio canopy above a patio door leading to our garden. We have been looking at different options including verandas. To clarify the structure will only have a roof (glass as we believe polycarbonate roofs create too much noise when it rains) and posts to support it. We've discarded thoughts about a cantilever canopy as we do not feel the structure is as robust as those supported by posts. The freeholder has given permission but we are concerned as to whether we need planning permission. It appears we would for a veranda but have read other types of canopies (considered temporary structures) do not require planning consent. We occupy, as leaseholders, a ground floor flat in a purpose built block thus there are no PD Rights. Our canopy will not affect neighbours in the block or others.

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you.

You have already answered your own question by acknowledging that there is no permitted development rights for a flat.

That means all development needs to be granted planning permission by the local planning authority.

The only concession is that a householder application costs less than a general planning application, although a full set of plans will be required to support the application. i.e Location Plan, Site plan and a plan showing how this structure is to look once it was erected.

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

Comment

I think that a canopy, open on two sides, may be acceptable.

But if its just a roof sort of canopy, just to keep the rain off you while fumbling for your keys, just fit it.
        No one will know, from the council.
        Or have it free standing, therefore is a temporary detachable cover, then no problem. Just secure it to the outside brickwork, an into thee flags.

Comment

Hi Ram

Thank you. Could you explain a bit more about the freestanding structure - I am not quite clear what you mean by a detachable cover. If secured to the brickwork, would it be considered temporary?

Thank you again.

Comment

By a canopy, I was envisaging just a small one over the door, but think you want to cover almost all the patio ?
            Your development rights as a leaseholder is limited to walls, fences and gates. Anything else you will not be allowed to do. but once you ask the question, from your address, then they know where to look for infringements of the rules - in future !
            I only know what I have read recently, for my own project.

I forget the link I visited, as most Gov. sites leant towards private houses, and it was not a gov. site.

I think you are on a no-brainer on this one.

So are you wishing to cover the whole of the patio ? If so, I think thats not possible, but check with council, saying you are just checking before you buy a ground floor flat ( no address given ) and see what they say.

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
              Your development rights as a leaseholder is limited to walls, fences and gates. Anything else you will not be allowed to do.
              These are limitations on flats, not on leasehold properties.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
                These are limitations on flats, not on leasehold properties.
                As I said, most Gov. sites leant towards private houses, and it was not a gov. site.
                Information is scarce on leasehold flats. So best to do as post number 6 - - "check with council"

Comment

Thank you for your replies.

The canopy we are looking to fit is a canopy over the width of the patio door.

Comment

Originally posted by vmart View Post
                    The canopy we are looking to fit is a canopy over the width of the patio door.
                    If similar to this---

canopy.jpg

Just fit one. -- Job done.

If the council DO trespass onto the property looking for something to do because they have no work to do in their under staffed, under funded department ( which they wont be doing ) then the worst is they will ask, is you to take it down, which could be in 10 or 20 years time.

I do not recommend violating laws, but for goodnesses sake - a canopy.
                    Just fit one. - as it's not impeding anyone.

I would have no problem in fitting a canopy tomorrow.

Comment

Thank you for further responses.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Planning help
                        by bubble
                        Hi all

I just want to get some help on some planning issues. An architect mentioned that planning wasn’t required for an outbuilding and would come under permitted development. I had some friend of friend builders who helped with the build and lets say took it upon themselves to add water/toilet...
                        18-11-2019, 22:23 PM
                      • Reply to Planning help
                        by leaseholder64
                        I'd certainly expect this to sound the "beds in sheds rogue landlord" alarm with the council.

Do you live in the main property? If so, why did you not notice the water supply being laid?

If not, the beds in sheds alarm probably just increased in volume.
                        19-11-2019, 15:19 PM
                      • Reply to Planning help
                        by ram
                        1. What was the neighbours complaint ?
                        2. Was it that you just had an outbuilding ?
                        3. Was it that it was a few millimetres over size ?
                        4. Was it that you had put a residential building up that was clearly residential, as it had water/toilet facilities AND a bathroom.
                        Certainly not an outbuilding if it...
                        19-11-2019, 12:36 PM
                      • Blocked from doing a loft conversion by the co-freeholder
                        by LondonResident
                        I’m a first time poster on the site and couldn’t see anything that relates specifically to this topic, although various forums around the subject.

I would like to do a loft conversion on our flat and the co-freehold owner has refused consent so we want to see if there is anything we...
                        04-11-2018, 10:26 AM
                      • Reply to Blocked from doing a loft conversion by the co-freeholder
                        by ram
                        LondonResident has not logged on exactly a year ago tomorrow, so don't expect a reply.

Any new questions on lofts should start a new thread, as not all leases and circumstances are the same.
                        14-11-2019, 19:05 PM
                      • Reply to Blocked from doing a loft conversion by the co-freeholder
                        by kennyj52
                        Did your co-freeholder give you any grounds for refusing consent? I am also a co-freeholder and have refused consent for a loft conversion which was requested by my other co-freeholders. My main ground for refusing is that I don't trust one of the co-freeholders - is that unreasonable?
                        10-11-2019, 18:33 PM
                      • Splitting detached house into 2 residencies
                        by keentobuild
                        Hi all,

My father-in-law is currently considering splitting his house into 2 flats, either to rent one to help with income during retirement or sell to release capital from his property.

He is sadly suffering with Alzheimer's disease and doesn't really know the implications...
                        19-10-2019, 18:04 PM
                      • Reply to Splitting detached house into 2 residencies
                        by keentobuild
                        Thanks,

I know its a lousy plan, I was just hoping I could have some knowledge behind me in helping inform him that it is exactly that.

Thanks for the info on planning time frames, this should steady him down.
                        31-10-2019, 10:57 AM
                      • Laying services over unowned road
                        by Charles Smith 007
                        I have a planning permission to build some houses. The lower section of the road that they are on has no registered owners and our checks against the title deeds for the properties it goes past, the council land ownership and historic manorial ownerships have confirmed no record of ownership. The solicitor...
                        18-09-2019, 19:52 PM
                      • Reply to Laying services over unowned road
                        by pilman
                        The rebuttable legal presumption " ad medium filum viae" is that an owner with land adjoining a road owns up to the mid point of the road unless it is a public highway maintainable at the public expense when the Highway Authority will own the surface and a short distance below the surface....
                        29-10-2019, 15:27 PM
                      Working...
                      X