converting care home to apartments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

converting care home to apartments

looking to buy an old care home and convert to flats. Do you need planning or is it permitted development as both are residential? What about change of use?

Whilst both are residential they are different use classes: C3 dwelling houses and C2 residential care homes. What changes of use are permitted without to apply for planning permission is quite involved as you will see if you look here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...chedule/2/made I have scanned the schedule and if there is a provision which allows change of use from C2 to C3 I missed it. None of the online summaries I looked at said it is allowed.

Whatever the position under change of use, I think you are probably going to need planning permission anyway as the conversion will involve more than minor building works.

Given the sort of expense you are going to incur you need to take advice from a planning expert.

Comment

You will need full planning permission as you are creating 'dwellings'.

Oh and full Building Regs approval especially those provisions for sound proofing between flats and fire escape amongst many other requirements.

Comment

thanks Tipper

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X