Obtaining permission from freeholder for internal alterations to GF maisionette

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Obtaining permission from freeholder for internal alterations to GF maisionette

    Hi there,

    This is a bit of an odd set of questions but I am trying to understand my position before I plunge headlong into spending money and time on a proposal which might not be accepted. And if it is possible, an understanding of the cost involved - I have a budget of around £5,000. Any guidance would be appreciated.

    Subject to getting an agreement in principle mortgage offer I am hoping to buy a ex housing association maisonette (one of a block of four).

    My intention is to a remove a corner section of wall between the kitchen and hallway, of which I believe the kitchen section might be load bearing, I aim to replace with a small section RSJ and rebuild a c. 2500mm length of the non load bearing wall 500mm to the left. Further to this (non-essential, but desirable) I am also considering knocking into the outside shed to make an en-suite to the main bedroom, which would require, plumbing, drains and a soil pipe to be run through the bedroom floor from existing bathroom and into outside sewer.

    I understand that I will need:

    Permission from the freeholder - Orbit
    Party Wall Agreement - Orbit / Upstairs Tenant
    Structural Survey and drawings showing existing / proposed
    Builder to do the works
    Building Regs
    Update land registry docs
    Solicitor to alter the deeds and negotiate with Orbit to achieve permission??

    I have read Orbits 'Home Improvement' terms and there is nothing that says they will not give consent, but they hold all of the cards and could easily say no, as the freeholder they will have the last word. I have also asked whether Orbit would be able to provide advice before the sale and the answer is no, not until after the sale.

    If I am able to provide all of the correct information to Orbit following the sale, does anyone know whether this would be acceptable to them? And what if any other information would they want to see.

    Thanks in advance.

Latest Activity


  • Dispute over boundary land
    by cazamoran
    This might take a while, you may want to grab a cup of tea!
    Ill try to condense things. A friend persuaded us to sell part of our garden upon which he obtained permission and built a house. After failing to sell the house, his son now lives there. I started noticing that along the boundary wall,...
    09-07-2020, 19:09 PM
  • Reply to 5 Year Private Property Licence Ended After One Year
    by Always Problems
    I made a complaint to the ombudsman which was successful. My council was really annoyed as they had refused to show me a copy of a document and the Ombudsman forced them to send her a copy which she forwarded to me.
    09-07-2020, 16:07 PM
  • 5 Year Private Property Licence Ended After One Year
    by AKRS
    Hi All, I could really use some guidance in a matter relating to the above. We were told by our agency handling our property that we needed to obtain a licence through the council. I did my research and asked all the relevant questions and found out that the licence will cost 650 for five years. Sounds...
    29-06-2020, 10:03 AM
  • Reply to Planning permission
    by Always Problems
    In this case I would ask a Chartered Town Planner, Don't contact the council apart from looking on their Planning Portal
    09-07-2020, 16:03 PM
  • Planning permission
    by dizzymill
    I am wondering if anyone can answer my question please?

    There is a plot for sale in my area that has planning permission granted on it. The thing is, this was granted when the site was larger than it now is as the vendor has fenced a section of it off and built himself a log cabin style...
    07-07-2020, 18:58 PM
  • Reply to Planning permission
    by pilman
    The plans provided with the planning application will show the position and size of the house granted planning permission, as well as showing the extent of the land identified on the site plan.

    The planning permission would have taken into account the area available for garden, and parking...
    08-07-2020, 12:27 PM
  • Reply to Planning permission
    by dizzymill
    Hi Tipper. It was granted for one dwelling but vendor has since built the cabin and fenced off the plot he is selling saying it has planning. But the planning was granted for the original whole site before he built his cabin that he lives in .
    08-07-2020, 10:01 AM
  • Reply to Planning permission
    by Tipper
    It probably depends on what the permission was for and how many dwellings, etc.
    Also when pp was achieved as they run out after 3 years in most if not all cases.

    You can check on the local planning online to see the details, drawings, dates, etc.
    08-07-2020, 09:35 AM
  • Reply to Building Regulations Certificate
    by Tipper
    No not too late. We had the same situation for our three holiday lets.

    We pressed the installer to register the new boilers with Gas Safe who in turn send certification to the local Building Regs which is what they are supposed to do upon installation, assuming they are qualified and 'Gas...
    06-07-2020, 18:35 PM
  • Building Regulations Certificate
    by kennyj52
    Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but what are the circumstances to obtain a Buildings Regulations Certificate? For example building a house, an extension, fitting a new boiler, installing a new light fitting, replacing a light bulb etc?
    I currently rent out 2 properties and own
    01-05-2020, 12:27 PM