Chimney Removal from the roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chimney Removal from the roof

As a part of roof renovation works we want to remove external part of the chimney (above the roof line). The house is semi detached, the chimney is located in the outer part of the house and is not part of any party wall.
    The condition of the chimney is quite bad and we prefer to remove everything above the roof line before it collapse, make it good and cover with one roof. The chimney has been decommissioned years ago, and we do not want to touch any structural parts of the chimney from the inside of the house.
    The house is not within any conservation area and we are not aware about any restrictions.
    Do we need any form of permission, or to inform the local authority?
    We want to avoid any application. We want to avoid applying for Certificate of Lawful Development because it will cost money to prepare architectural drawings but may not be needed if it's not a conservation area?
    Many thanks for your help.

I would have a word with building control Demolition work tends to be notifiable and the change in weight distribution may affect the structure.

I'm not sure about planning permission, but I don't recognize it as being a permitted development.

You may well find that a photograph will satisfy the before plans, and they might even accept a retouched photograph for after, but mark it clearly as manipulated.

Lawful development certificates tend to be for borderline permitted developments, or where a breach is time limited. Obviously the latter doesn't apply in your case.

Comment

Building Control definitely needs to be notified, see, for example, https://www.tendringdc.gov.uk/sites/...20PDF%20V2.pdf

Comment

Well reading that document I see no reason to talk to Building Control at all! All that is being proposed is removal of the top of the chimney to below the roof line. As long as suitable ventilation is provided at the new 'top' then just get on with it.

I say this from having researched the subject and advised my daughter on removing the fireplace and flue below her party wall external shared chimney stack. She has had a structural engineer in to design the necessary party wall brackets, etc, which will of course be notified to Building Control before work commences.

Comment

That's right!
          We are only removing the part above the roof line, and the example recommendation from leaseholder64 might be more applicable when some parts of the chimney would be removed from inside of the house, which is not the case.
          Many thanks you both for a prompt reply!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X