Planning permission to rent parts of a yard for parking "out of hours"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planning permission to rent parts of a yard for parking "out of hours"

I'm trying to establish whether there may be any planning breach in my neighbour renting part of his yard for parking.

My neighbour owns a "skip yard". I put it in inverted commas because he does not manage waste at the site but parks his two trucks and a number of skips there. A truck leaves at about 6am and the second at about 730. They come and go a couple of times a day and then pack up about 4pm. There are also old single storey sheds on the site which are used as a site office, as a mechanics and as a storage unit for an electrical contractor - their hours are not regular but roughly fit in to 9-5.30 Mon-Fri. Sometimes Saturday.

The site is an old site (my building - home - used to be part of it, as was the house on the other side) and does not have any planning conditions or filed history.

Recently the owner has started letting parking space to a motorcyclist. He's concreted in a metal D frame to which the chap chains his bike. No big deal except that this chap likes to drop and collect his bike at all hours. Regularly 1230-1 am in the week. Sometimes before 6am on a Sunday. He has been given 24hr access. The huge double padlocked steel gates are noisy enough but he also has a security chain with which you could lift a skip. Just handling the chain causes a racket by itself but when he pulls it through the hollow metal D frame it rings so loudly I am sure you can hear it a mile away. It can't help but wake you up. Then there are the piercing alarm beeps, random banging about etc.. which goes on for up to 15 minutes. I've had a chat to him and suggested putting a better damper on the chain for starters but his view is that he pays for the parking and can use it as he likes. There's not much scope to chat with the owner - he's been stealing utilities from his neighbours and became violent when found out so is in court in a couple of weeks.

The planning guidance regarding letting parking spaces seems terribly vague. And I'm not sure whether it applies to letting existing parking spaces or to the use of any piece of land for parking. Or indeed whether there would be any change of use implicit in this particular site being used for parking. Or the change of hours ... My local authority will not discuss matters like this - you have to submit a complaint to enforcement and if you are lucky you get a decision some months later. I'd like to have some sort of idea about the legals before I do so.

Does anyone have any planning experience with this?

The .gov.uk guidance is:
    Is planning permission required to rent out a parking space?

The government’s view is that it should be possible to rent parking spaces without planning permission, provided there are no substantive planning concerns such as public nuisance to neighbours.

There is a public interest from such renting, by providing more cheap and flexible parking spaces for people to park their car and taking pressure away from on-street parking.

The decision on whether renting out a parking space requires planning permission will depend on 2 principal factors:
    1. The first is whether renting out a parking space results in a material change in the use of the space. Determining whether there has been a material change of use will depend on whether a space is used in a significantly different way to how a parking space would normally be used (irrespective of the identity of the driver). For example, if by renting out spaces, it causes a notable public or neighbour nuisance. A local planning authority will make this decision based on relevant facts and on a case by case basis.
    2. The second is whether there are any other relevant planning considerations, such as planning conditions, which impose restrictions that prevent parking spaces being rented out.

If renting out parking spaces does not amount to a material change of use and if there are no other planning considerations that prevent parking spaces from being rented out then it would not require planning permission.
    Assume I know nothing.

It seems to me that your concern is about noise rather than any planning issue.

But with regard to planning then your own quote says clearly:
    The government’s view is that it should be possible to rent parking spaces without planning permission, provided there are no substantive planning concerns such as public nuisance to neighbours.
    So you would have to show that any (extra) noise from this motorcyclist is a 'material change' and a 'public nuisance'.

As there are already two skip loaders parking there, and comming and going all day, then I doubt that a 'material change' would hold water.
    Similarly I would have thought any noise from the motorcyclist would be much less than the truck engines, whining hydraulic pumps for the lift arms, and banging skips about.

OK it's at different hours which you consider unsociable, but how long can it last? Minutes at most before he's off on his bike.

TBH I think you are wasting your time.

If the yard owner is already in court in a couple of weeks I'd hold my water and see what comes of that.

Comment

I'd have thought noise caused by a change in use of the site would be a planning issue. Practically any commercial development in a residential area is conditioned these days with hours of operation, delivery times, types of vehicles used, even types of gates and goods trolleys, etc. wholly for the purpose of avoiding noise disturbance or protecting amenity.

I don't know whether commercially letting parking spaces constitutes a change of use at all in this case - it is such a hotch potch of uses already. It seems to me that hours might be materially relevant to planning. There seems to be a huge difference between a business making intermittent noise in the daytime and making intermittent noise at night in a residential area. But then I don't really know. Maybe it is just down to who you get as a planning officer?

I don't imagine that the court outcome will make much difference. The owner either gets a criminal record for assualt in two weeks or he doesn't. He won't be put away and even if he were it doesn't make much difference to the use of the yard. The point being that he's a thief with a history of violence, rather than someone I would happily sit down with and sort things out with over a pint!
      Assume I know nothing.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Chimney Removal from the roof
        Tomasz
        As a part of roof renovation works we want to remove external part of the chimney (above the roof line). The house is semi detached, the chimney is located in the outer part of the house and is not part of any party wall.
        The condition of the chimney is quite bad and we prefer to remove everything...
        05-07-2019, 09:11 AM
      • Reply to Chimney Removal from the roof
        Tomasz
        That's right!
        We are only removing the part above the roof line, and the example recommendation from leaseholder64 might be more applicable when some parts of the chimney would be removed from inside of the house, which is not the case.
        Many thanks you both for a prompt reply!
        05-07-2019, 14:59 PM
        Tipper
        Well reading that document I see no reason to talk to Building Control at all! All that is being proposed is removal of the top of the chimney to below the roof line. As long as suitable ventilation is provided at the new 'top' then just get on with it.

I say this from having researched...
        05-07-2019, 14:26 PM
        leaseholder64
        Building Control definitely needs to be notified, see, for example, https://www.tendringdc.gov.uk/sites/...20PDF%20V2.pdf
        05-07-2019, 11:10 AM
        leaseholder64
        I would have a word with building control Demolition work tends to be notifiable and the change in weight distribution may affect the structure.

I'm not sure about planning permission, but I don't recognize it as being a permitted development.

You may well find that a photograph...
        05-07-2019, 11:02 AM
      • property access issue?
        legepe
        Hi all
        Couple of questions, Im looking to make a planning application to change a commercial B1 property to residential (property build around 1820)
        The building has had historically (I think an original door) and still physically has in place the doorway but which leads out to a neighbors...
        04-07-2019, 19:09 PM
      • Reply to property access issue?
        buzzard1994
        First thing you need to find out is whether the property has any right of access over either the driveway or the pub car park. Presumably it has a right of access from somewhere?
        04-07-2019, 19:44 PM
      • listed building consent
        Stacker
        Damp Proof Course what have been your experiences with applying for planning and listed building consent for a modern damp proof course where there is not one already and the groundfloor flat is damp?
        22-06-2019, 16:25 PM
      • Reply to listed building consent
        Stacker
        Yes agree with you leaseholder 64 however the leaseholder was told by his surveyor that a DPC would do the trick so to speak however this advice can not be followed as listed building consent is required which would not be given as a modern DPC for a listed building would be a BIG no no and seen as...
        23-06-2019, 19:58 PM
      • Reply to listed building consent
        leaseholder64
        Is the lower part of the wall at least 150mm above ground level? If not a DPC is not really an option. (I'm not quite clear about the ground is higher sentence, but it sounds like it means that the damp wall is below ground level.)

In any case, my feeling would be that, on an old building,...
        23-06-2019, 19:12 PM
      Working...
      X