Building in someones garden

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building in someones garden

I have found a house in Islington with a side garden which would make a good building plot. I plan to approach the freeholder for their agreement to sell me a portion at the bottom of the garden which they have actually fenced off and decided not to tend. The building is split into 4 flats and it appears they have bought the freehold. It looks like the lease states the garden is (in whole) leased to the ground floor flat.

I plan to send a letter to the building for the attention of the freeholders to the flats and I'm just wondering would all 4 freeholders have to agree not just the leaseholder who appears to have the garden (garden flat)? I'm guessing only the ground floor flat with said lease would need to inform their bank (if they have a mortgage) of their intention to sell or would it affect the value of all 4 flats to sell? Or does the fact they all own the freehold mean they also would all need to inform their mortgager regardless if it is leased only to the ground floor flat?

Thanks all and hopefully this makes sense. The potential building plot also spans across another garden ha but thankfully there is only one freeholder there so I'm planning to get something agreed with the above ones first (presumably the most difficult) and hopefully something in writing to compel them to sell to me for x if I get PP. I'll then approach the other garden owner (who happens to be a property developer) and will no doubt prick his interest into contacting his neighbours himself!! Although he too as fenced off the bottom of the garden and left it.

Any help is much appreciated.

There will almost certainly be a leasehold covenant forbidding parting with possession of part only of the demise, in which case you will need the freeholder will need to waive that term of the lease. It sounds like the freehold is held by the leaseholders as tenants in common, so they will all need to agree to that waiver.

Comment

Thank you for that I thought all freeholders would have to agree.

Comment

As post number 2 states. "they will all need to agree to that waiver".
        If I lived there, I would say no to any sale of land.

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
          If I lived there, I would say no to any sale of land.
          Even if you were offered some serious £££ in return for your agreement?

Comment

Originally posted by JamesHopeful View Post
            Even if you were offered some serious £££ in return for your agreement?
            Correct. Don't want a house at the bottom of the garden.

ONLY the freeholder can sell a garden, with the full agreement of all leaseholders / shareholders.

Don't expect any reply from the leaseholders / freeholders, as it my be too much legal work for them to bother replying.

Comment

The freeholders and leaseholders are the same people in this case as all 4 flats bought the freehold. The portion I want to buy no one uses. It's fenced off so no one has to tend to it and has been for years. The ground floor flat has sole use of what's left of the garden. I imagine any of the other flats would take 10k each in exchange for something they have never used but we will see.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Chimney Removal from the roof
                Tomasz
                As a part of roof renovation works we want to remove external part of the chimney (above the roof line). The house is semi detached, the chimney is located in the outer part of the house and is not part of any party wall.
                The condition of the chimney is quite bad and we prefer to remove everything...
                05-07-2019, 09:11 AM
              • Reply to Chimney Removal from the roof
                Tomasz
                That's right!
                We are only removing the part above the roof line, and the example recommendation from leaseholder64 might be more applicable when some parts of the chimney would be removed from inside of the house, which is not the case.
                Many thanks you both for a prompt reply!
                05-07-2019, 14:59 PM
                Tipper
                Well reading that document I see no reason to talk to Building Control at all! All that is being proposed is removal of the top of the chimney to below the roof line. As long as suitable ventilation is provided at the new 'top' then just get on with it.

I say this from having researched...
                05-07-2019, 14:26 PM
                leaseholder64
                Building Control definitely needs to be notified, see, for example, https://www.tendringdc.gov.uk/sites/...20PDF%20V2.pdf
                05-07-2019, 11:10 AM
                leaseholder64
                I would have a word with building control Demolition work tends to be notifiable and the change in weight distribution may affect the structure.

I'm not sure about planning permission, but I don't recognize it as being a permitted development.

You may well find that a photograph...
                05-07-2019, 11:02 AM
              • property access issue?
                legepe
                Hi all
                Couple of questions, Im looking to make a planning application to change a commercial B1 property to residential (property build around 1820)
                The building has had historically (I think an original door) and still physically has in place the doorway but which leads out to a neighbors...
                04-07-2019, 19:09 PM
              • Reply to property access issue?
                buzzard1994
                First thing you need to find out is whether the property has any right of access over either the driveway or the pub car park. Presumably it has a right of access from somewhere?
                04-07-2019, 19:44 PM
              • listed building consent
                Stacker
                Damp Proof Course what have been your experiences with applying for planning and listed building consent for a modern damp proof course where there is not one already and the groundfloor flat is damp?
                22-06-2019, 16:25 PM
              • Reply to listed building consent
                Stacker
                Yes agree with you leaseholder 64 however the leaseholder was told by his surveyor that a DPC would do the trick so to speak however this advice can not be followed as listed building consent is required which would not be given as a modern DPC for a listed building would be a BIG no no and seen as...
                23-06-2019, 19:58 PM
              • Reply to listed building consent
                leaseholder64
                Is the lower part of the wall at least 150mm above ground level? If not a DPC is not really an option. (I'm not quite clear about the ground is higher sentence, but it sounds like it means that the damp wall is below ground level.)

In any case, my feeling would be that, on an old building,...
                23-06-2019, 19:12 PM
              Working...
              X