Buying a single room from another property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a single room from another property

This is probably a slightly unusual suggestion and I wondered if anyone has any experience of anything similar.

I live in a ground floor flat and have an idea of how I can extend our flat further (we have already built a rear extension and there is no further opportunity to extend on the ground floor) utilising a single room from the 1 bedroom flat above us.

Do to the configuration of the flat I have I worked out that this can be done very easily leaving the flat above to function as a studio flat, it is currently rented out by the owner, so if they are able to maintain a rental income this may be amenable to them as an idea.

I wondered if anyone had any experience of buying part (not all) of an adjoining flat and adding it to their demise.

We think we might be able to approach the owner on basis of ascertaining the difference in rental income between a small one bed flat and a studio flat and offering the owner a sum of money to purchase the room that means they can still retain a healthy but reduced rental income and receive a large lump sum payment for the sale.

I was wondering how to approach the owner, whether a simple offer would be too simple and seen as flippant or too chancing or whether this should be backed up by a simple feasibility report with some solid rental/valuation information and calculations that would seem more serious?

Thanks for any advice anyone can give me!

What incentive would the owner of the flat have to go along with your proposed scheme?

Unless he's strapped for cash then why should he accept a lump sum now and reduce his future rental income?

Why not offer to buy the whole flat, then if you want to you can split off a studio and rent it out?
    If you think it should work for him then it should equally work for you.

Oh, don't forget all the issues surrounding planning permission, freeholder permissions, etc.

Comment

And building regulations, and fire safety, if you are thinking of putting stairs, or a lift, between the levels.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
        And building regulations, and fire safety, if you are thinking of putting stairs, or a lift, between the levels.
        Thanks for these notes, I am aware of these issues and will bear them in mind

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
          What incentive would the owner of the flat have to go along with your proposed scheme?

Unless he's strapped for cash then why should he accept a lump sum now and reduce his future rental income?

Why not offer to buy the whole flat, then if you want to you can split off a studio and rent it out?
          If you think it should work for him then it should equally work for you.

Oh, don't forget all the issues surrounding planning permission, freeholder permissions, etc.
          Thanks for the advice, I think it is the right approach to offer to buy the whole flat and split it if required, I guess the question is whether to ask them what they want now or whether to make an offer, and in that case it's trying to work out what its value is.

Comment

Do you own the freehold? If not you will have to have permission from the freeholder, and he/she/it will likely want payment as well. They would normally ask for a percentage of the uplift in value of your flat.

Comment

The idea has too many complications. If you want a larger flat it will be cheaper and easier to move to a bigger one.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
                The idea has too many complications. If you want a larger flat it will be cheaper and easier to move to a bigger one.
                I am able to deal with most of these complications, we don't want to move as we love where we live and what we have already done to our flat, it is our home and if possible we'd like to stay.

Comment

Originally posted by HazeltonLane View Post
                  Do you own the freehold? If not you will have to have permission from the freeholder, and he/she/it will likely want payment as well. They would normally ask for a percentage of the uplift in value of your flat.
                  I am aware of this as we previously paid a fee for the extension we have built

Comment

Originally posted by jazzythumper View Post

I am able to deal with most of these complications, we don't want to move as we love where we live and what we have already done to our flat, it is our home and if possible we'd like to stay.
                    The complications I refer to are legal ones. Most long leases prohibit assignment of part. If the landlord allows such an assignment the split needs to be done carefully so that the rent, service charge and obligations are apportioned correctly. If the other leaseholder agrees but the price is insufficient to pay off any mortgage, he may have difficulty persuading the lender to release the part to be sold.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Adverse possession
                      michael8626
                      Hi

If somebody was occupying land in adverse possession for a period of say 2005 to 2015 but never made a claim and then the land owner used the land for some time in 2016, then the original person in AP occupied from 2017 to date could they still claim AP with the Land Registry?
                      11-10-2019, 13:38 PM
                    • Reply to Adverse possession
                      Jon66
                      There are transitional rules, it's in a practice direction. The dates are v important. Just google it....
                      14-10-2019, 02:02 AM
                      michael8626
                      Also Jon, I think I might have my dates wrong and this relates to just before this act was passed, so I might be under the old AP rules, did they differ much under the new system?...
                      13-10-2019, 23:20 PM
                      michael8626
                      That’s great Jon, thanks. I will have a read. Am I right in thinking the law changed regarding AP around 2002/2003 or was that just for unregistered land?...
                      13-10-2019, 23:12 PM
                      Jon66
                      Perhaps your solicitor should respond to the other side drawing their attention to the additional requirements the applicant will have to fulfil under the LRA 2002 Schedule 6 paragraph 5, because any application under para 1 will be vigorously defended as neither do they fulfil that criteria either....
                      13-10-2019, 21:40 PM
                      michael8626
                      Yes, I think that’s where we are at. Bring the situation to a head or hopefully to a close....
                      13-10-2019, 21:22 PM
                      Jon66
                      Read in full the land registry practice notes on adverse possession of registered land post 2002, and pay particular attention to point 7, which is a good starting point. You might find a direct access barrister of more use, Liz England or Rowena George are two good ones, or instruct your solicitor...
                      13-10-2019, 20:58 PM
                      michael8626
                      Thank you for all the replies. I have employed a solicitor as this originated from a land dispute. It just seems difficult to get a definitive answer. We just seem to keep writing letters ‘referring to comments from my previous letter’ and going round in circles. The only winners at present are...
                      13-10-2019, 12:00 PM
                      jpkeates
                      I agree that you need an expert, but there's a substantial difference between 10 years non-contiguous year's of possession and 10 years with a gap during which the actual owner had possession. The owner's possession would seem to end the previous period of adverse possession and a new period begins...
                      13-10-2019, 09:13 AM
                      nukecad
                      I wouldn't think so.

AFAIK they servre the AP, you contest it as the legal owner who has used the land and that's it.
                      You are still the legal owner, you still have an interest in using the land, a trespasser can't just claim it now, although they might have been able to earlier...
                      12-10-2019, 19:23 PM
                    Working...
                    X