Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please Give Your Advice...

Hi,

I have a problem with my current builder, he promised to complete the work before Christmas but failed to complete, since the new year he has given me many broken promises and up to 2 weeks ago I paid him in full of the budget excluding the 2% retention which I do not have to pay 6 months after. He promised me the work would be completed in one week and asked to use the retention money for that week and I agreed because I just wanted the house back, after the week pass there were still outstanding work and I refused to pay any more and demanded him to complete all the work before I make another payment. he now refused to do any more work and demanded the following, could someone kindly help what I have to do as I have small children in the house and really want the remaining work to be completed asap:

1) My builder asked/agreed to take some payments in cash (no vat) and some payments through bank transfer with vat. Some of the cash payments paid more than 6 months ago and now he wants me to pay vat for those cash payments. I am happy pay him vat for those cash but because those payments do not appear on his company bank account how would I know that he would declare vat on those payments or just a way for him to make more money without paying vat on the amount paid in cash.

2) He now wants an independent valuer to estimate the remaining work. Can I appoint someone swiftly or have to be a company which is agreed by him as well considering he has broken may promises to complete the work. Please note that he has made many broken promises and I have small children and I do want him to drag on to cause me more stress.

Thanks in advance for any of your advice.

Maybe best to tell HMRC about the VAT.

What does the contract say about arbitration by a surveyor (more professional contracts would include ongoing supervision by one).

Comment

Hi leaseholder64, obviously I like to let the hmrc know but I will find out how, About the builder, we do not have a contract (sorry but I trusted him at first because he did some work for me before) the only thing we have is the excel spreadsheet of the break down, also every time I paid him in cash I did ask for his signature. So we do not have any formal agreement in place.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Adverse possession
        michael8626
        Hi

If somebody was occupying land in adverse possession for a period of say 2005 to 2015 but never made a claim and then the land owner used the land for some time in 2016, then the original person in AP occupied from 2017 to date could they still claim AP with the Land Registry?
        11-10-2019, 13:38 PM
      • Reply to Adverse possession
        Jon66
        There are transitional rules, it's in a practice direction. The dates are v important. Just google it....
        14-10-2019, 02:02 AM
        michael8626
        Also Jon, I think I might have my dates wrong and this relates to just before this act was passed, so I might be under the old AP rules, did they differ much under the new system?...
        13-10-2019, 23:20 PM
        michael8626
        That’s great Jon, thanks. I will have a read. Am I right in thinking the law changed regarding AP around 2002/2003 or was that just for unregistered land?...
        13-10-2019, 23:12 PM
        Jon66
        Perhaps your solicitor should respond to the other side drawing their attention to the additional requirements the applicant will have to fulfil under the LRA 2002 Schedule 6 paragraph 5, because any application under para 1 will be vigorously defended as neither do they fulfil that criteria either....
        13-10-2019, 21:40 PM
        michael8626
        Yes, I think that’s where we are at. Bring the situation to a head or hopefully to a close....
        13-10-2019, 21:22 PM
        Jon66
        Read in full the land registry practice notes on adverse possession of registered land post 2002, and pay particular attention to point 7, which is a good starting point. You might find a direct access barrister of more use, Liz England or Rowena George are two good ones, or instruct your solicitor...
        13-10-2019, 20:58 PM
        michael8626
        Thank you for all the replies. I have employed a solicitor as this originated from a land dispute. It just seems difficult to get a definitive answer. We just seem to keep writing letters ‘referring to comments from my previous letter’ and going round in circles. The only winners at present are...
        13-10-2019, 12:00 PM
        jpkeates
        I agree that you need an expert, but there's a substantial difference between 10 years non-contiguous year's of possession and 10 years with a gap during which the actual owner had possession. The owner's possession would seem to end the previous period of adverse possession and a new period begins...
        13-10-2019, 09:13 AM
        nukecad
        I wouldn't think so.

AFAIK they servre the AP, you contest it as the legal owner who has used the land and that's it.
        You are still the legal owner, you still have an interest in using the land, a trespasser can't just claim it now, although they might have been able to earlier...
        12-10-2019, 19:23 PM
      Working...
      X