Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please Give Your Advice...

Hi,

I have a problem with my current builder, he promised to complete the work before Christmas but failed to complete, since the new year he has given me many broken promises and up to 2 weeks ago I paid him in full of the budget excluding the 2% retention which I do not have to pay 6 months after. He promised me the work would be completed in one week and asked to use the retention money for that week and I agreed because I just wanted the house back, after the week pass there were still outstanding work and I refused to pay any more and demanded him to complete all the work before I make another payment. he now refused to do any more work and demanded the following, could someone kindly help what I have to do as I have small children in the house and really want the remaining work to be completed asap:

1) My builder asked/agreed to take some payments in cash (no vat) and some payments through bank transfer with vat. Some of the cash payments paid more than 6 months ago and now he wants me to pay vat for those cash payments. I am happy pay him vat for those cash but because those payments do not appear on his company bank account how would I know that he would declare vat on those payments or just a way for him to make more money without paying vat on the amount paid in cash.

2) He now wants an independent valuer to estimate the remaining work. Can I appoint someone swiftly or have to be a company which is agreed by him as well considering he has broken may promises to complete the work. Please note that he has made many broken promises and I have small children and I do want him to drag on to cause me more stress.

Thanks in advance for any of your advice.

Maybe best to tell HMRC about the VAT.

What does the contract say about arbitration by a surveyor (more professional contracts would include ongoing supervision by one).

Comment

Hi leaseholder64, obviously I like to let the hmrc know but I will find out how, About the builder, we do not have a contract (sorry but I trusted him at first because he did some work for me before) the only thing we have is the excel spreadsheet of the break down, also every time I paid him in cash I did ask for his signature. So we do not have any formal agreement in place.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X