when do i need Quantity surveyor and/or construction plan?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when do i need Quantity surveyor and/or construction plan?

Hello all,

I'm planning to fully renovate a house, turning it to a 4 bedroom HMO
    The renovation will include fully refurbishment of the house internally and externally, upgrading the kitchen and WC's, wiring, heating system etc.
    The building costs will be around 30-35K.
    Currently my builder based his costs using the detailed plans used for building reg control, but i'm worry that calculating building cost only by visiting the site and using the detailed architect plans won't be accurate.
    Should i need a construction plan from the architect for this scale of work?
    Should i need a Quantity surveyor or it is too simple project for that?
    Should i use JCT contract with dated work millstones with Liquidated Damages clause or it's a bit overstretch ?

Is the project's size o determine if i need Quantity surveyor and construction plan? are there any other considerations?

Thank you,

In my view everything you mention would be overkill for what sounds like a fairly simple and (comparatively) low-cost refurb. I suggest you simply agree a clear scope of works and staged payment plan with your builder.

Are you (/your builder) sure that you even need building regs approval for this project? Even if you do, most builders would probably just use a building notice rather than full plans approval for a project of this size.

I don't mean to be patronising if you've already covered this, but I would check your council's HMO standards and also get advice from a professional fire risk assessor before the renovations start if I were you, in order to ensure your spec meets the requirements of both.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Adverse possession
      michael8626
      Hi

If somebody was occupying land in adverse possession for a period of say 2005 to 2015 but never made a claim and then the land owner used the land for some time in 2016, then the original person in AP occupied from 2017 to date could they still claim AP with the Land Registry?
      11-10-2019, 13:38 PM
    • Reply to Adverse possession
      Jon66
      There are transitional rules, it's in a practice direction. The dates are v important. Just google it....
      14-10-2019, 02:02 AM
      michael8626
      Also Jon, I think I might have my dates wrong and this relates to just before this act was passed, so I might be under the old AP rules, did they differ much under the new system?...
      13-10-2019, 23:20 PM
      michael8626
      That’s great Jon, thanks. I will have a read. Am I right in thinking the law changed regarding AP around 2002/2003 or was that just for unregistered land?...
      13-10-2019, 23:12 PM
      Jon66
      Perhaps your solicitor should respond to the other side drawing their attention to the additional requirements the applicant will have to fulfil under the LRA 2002 Schedule 6 paragraph 5, because any application under para 1 will be vigorously defended as neither do they fulfil that criteria either....
      13-10-2019, 21:40 PM
      michael8626
      Yes, I think that’s where we are at. Bring the situation to a head or hopefully to a close....
      13-10-2019, 21:22 PM
      Jon66
      Read in full the land registry practice notes on adverse possession of registered land post 2002, and pay particular attention to point 7, which is a good starting point. You might find a direct access barrister of more use, Liz England or Rowena George are two good ones, or instruct your solicitor...
      13-10-2019, 20:58 PM
      michael8626
      Thank you for all the replies. I have employed a solicitor as this originated from a land dispute. It just seems difficult to get a definitive answer. We just seem to keep writing letters ‘referring to comments from my previous letter’ and going round in circles. The only winners at present are...
      13-10-2019, 12:00 PM
      jpkeates
      I agree that you need an expert, but there's a substantial difference between 10 years non-contiguous year's of possession and 10 years with a gap during which the actual owner had possession. The owner's possession would seem to end the previous period of adverse possession and a new period begins...
      13-10-2019, 09:13 AM
      nukecad
      I wouldn't think so.

AFAIK they servre the AP, you contest it as the legal owner who has used the land and that's it.
      You are still the legal owner, you still have an interest in using the land, a trespasser can't just claim it now, although they might have been able to earlier...
      12-10-2019, 19:23 PM
    Working...
    X