Loft conversion and wooden flooring

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • createroom
    Loft Conversion is the most suitable for small loft conversions where there is limited space. It creates additional headroom for the new room(s) and affords additional space for the loft conversion stairs. The increased height created by the Dormer allows for more straightforward installation of bathroom fittings.

    There are different types of dormer loft conversion:
    • Gable fronted Dormer – these are sometimes called a dog house dormer
    • Hipped roof dormer – a dormer with a hipped roof
    • Flat roof dormer – you guessed it – it has a flat roof!
    • Shed Dormer – a single planed roof that is pitched at a shallow angle to the main roof

    Leave a comment:

  • leaseholder64
    They would need a deed of variation for the lease, not a licence to alter. It is the need for the deed of variation which triggers the possibility of the the freeholder charging a premium.

    Recent discussion on the forum seems to be against relaxing carpeting rules.

    Leave a comment:

  • Sveti Jakov
    started a topic Loft conversion and wooden flooring

    Loft conversion and wooden flooring

    I am co-freeholder in an Edwardian house converted into 3 flats. I live in Flat 2, the middle flat. The top flat (Flat 3) has been sold to new buyers who will become co-freeholders in our management company. They have proposed various building works and I would like to clarify the position of other freeholders in regard to our lease and granting consent to these works.

    1) The attic space above the top flat is not demised to Flat 3 and is co-owned by all 3 freeholders. The access to this space is in Flat 3 so it is not practical to be used by others. The new buyers have indicated that they would like to do a loft conversion in future. My basic understanding is that they would have to cover the cost of an independent surveyors valuation to establish value of roof space and premium payable to co-freeholders. They would also be responsible for covering costs of amending lease to reflect change in layout eg licence to alter. There is also the issue of future roof responsibility - does this remain the responsibility of all 3 freeholders as it is at present, how is this usually negotiated? In the event that I don't wish to give consent to this proposal can I be outvoted 2 to 1 by the other 2 co-freeholders including the interested party should they have a vote? Does consent have to be unanimous?

    2) The new buyers would like to replace the carpeted floors with wooden floorboards. Our lease currently requires flats to have carpets with underlay but I'm aware that a variety of soundproof/fireproof options for floor insulation have become available since it was drawn up. For that reason I would be open to discussing their proposal. However they have suggested that if their floor joists are found to be damp or rotten and in need of replacement before they can lay a new wooden floor that this would be classed as a common parts repair. They have also suggested that this repair would include propping up from below ie from within my flat, again as a common parts repair. This would certainly lead to my ceiling having to be replaced. I have looked at what I think is the relevant part of my lease relating to the demised premises and this doesn't appear to be the case.

    Extract from lease of Flat 2 relating to the demised premises

    ALL THAT the flat known or intended to be known as No. 2, (address removed) comprising that part of the first floor of the Property shown and edged red on the plan annexed hereto TOGETHER WITH the ceilings and floors of the said flat and the joists and beams on which the floors are laid but not the joists or beams to which the ceilings are attached and the windows of the said flat AND TOGETHER ALSO WITH all cisterns, tanks, sewers, drains and conduits used solely for the purpose of the said flat but no other EXCEPTING from the demise the main structural parts of the property including the roof foundation and external parts thereof.

    What I understand by this is that Flat 3 would be responsible for repair/replacement of joists and beams under their floors. If removal/repairs to my ceiling are deemed necessary in order for Flat 3 to lay new wooden floors should Flat 3 be liable to cover this cost. Also if there is any dispute about this matter am I within my rights to refuse consent to wooden floors as per the original lease?

    Apologies for long posting but I would really appreciate your help.

Latest Activity


  • Dispute over boundary land
    by cazamoran
    This might take a while, you may want to grab a cup of tea!
    Ill try to condense things. A friend persuaded us to sell part of our garden upon which he obtained permission and built a house. After failing to sell the house, his son now lives there. I started noticing that along the boundary wall,...
    09-07-2020, 19:09 PM
  • Reply to 5 Year Private Property Licence Ended After One Year
    by Always Problems
    I made a complaint to the ombudsman which was successful. My council was really annoyed as they had refused to show me a copy of a document and the Ombudsman forced them to send her a copy which she forwarded to me.
    09-07-2020, 16:07 PM
  • 5 Year Private Property Licence Ended After One Year
    by AKRS
    Hi All, I could really use some guidance in a matter relating to the above. We were told by our agency handling our property that we needed to obtain a licence through the council. I did my research and asked all the relevant questions and found out that the licence will cost 650 for five years. Sounds...
    29-06-2020, 10:03 AM
  • Planning permission
    by dizzymill
    I am wondering if anyone can answer my question please?

    There is a plot for sale in my area that has planning permission granted on it. The thing is, this was granted when the site was larger than it now is as the vendor has fenced a section of it off and built himself a log cabin style...
    07-07-2020, 18:58 PM
  • Reply to Planning permission
    by Always Problems
    In this case I would ask a Chartered Town Planner, Don't contact the council apart from looking on their Planning Portal
    09-07-2020, 16:03 PM
  • Reply to Planning permission
    by pilman
    The plans provided with the planning application will show the position and size of the house granted planning permission, as well as showing the extent of the land identified on the site plan.

    The planning permission would have taken into account the area available for garden, and parking...
    08-07-2020, 12:27 PM
  • Reply to Planning permission
    by dizzymill
    Hi Tipper. It was granted for one dwelling but vendor has since built the cabin and fenced off the plot he is selling saying it has planning. But the planning was granted for the original whole site before he built his cabin that he lives in .
    08-07-2020, 10:01 AM
  • Reply to Planning permission
    by Tipper
    It probably depends on what the permission was for and how many dwellings, etc.
    Also when pp was achieved as they run out after 3 years in most if not all cases.

    You can check on the local planning online to see the details, drawings, dates, etc.
    08-07-2020, 09:35 AM
  • Reply to Building Regulations Certificate
    by Tipper
    No not too late. We had the same situation for our three holiday lets.

    We pressed the installer to register the new boilers with Gas Safe who in turn send certification to the local Building Regs which is what they are supposed to do upon installation, assuming they are qualified and 'Gas...
    06-07-2020, 18:35 PM
  • Building Regulations Certificate
    by kennyj52
    Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but what are the circumstances to obtain a Buildings Regulations Certificate? For example building a house, an extension, fitting a new boiler, installing a new light fitting, replacing a light bulb etc?
    I currently rent out 2 properties and own
    01-05-2020, 12:27 PM