Does a residential certificate of lawfulness override the original planning?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does a residential certificate of lawfulness override the original planning?

Hi, a few years ago we bought a live/work unit. In order to get a residential mortgage, we had the original owner organise a certificate of lawfulness for residential use (in fact, it was always used residentially).

My understanding has always been that the Certificate of Lawfulness was pretty narrow in meaning and only states specifically that the unit cannot be held in violation of planning if used for residential purposes only (drawing on the fact it had already been used that way for four years), and did not amount to actually permanently changing the planning designation from live/work to C3.

We’re selling now and have a buyer who is particularly interested in retaining the right to commercial use under the live/work distinction, so they’re a bit concerned about how far the meaning of the Certificate of Lawfulness extends.

Does anyone have some insight on this, or anything I can quote?

I think this might answer your question. I come across C of L mainly in HMO properties or flat conversions that never applied for consent and they seem to sell on without issue.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...FN7zzuCGjIPh0U

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X