Building on Common Gardens or forecourts to Flats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building on Common Gardens or forecourts to Flats

We are 11 freeholders and 1 leaseholder who own a building of 12 flats withn common access road, gardens, and garages and forecourt. the freeholders own this through a Ltd Company. If we all agree can we build (get planning permission to build) on part of the garden and/or garage and forecourt area? We potentially have large costs for work on the buildings and are looking to see if we might be able to use the sale of a neww building to offset these costs?

You can't have more than four freeholders, beyond that there has to be one freeholder, that is a company, owned by the 11. It seem likely to me that you have 12 leaseholders, 11 of which are members of a company that owns the freehold.

Assuming that arrangement, if all the 12 leaseholders and more than half the members of the freehold company agree, you can change the leases.

Councils, however, don't like developments in front yards, so you may well not get planning permission.

Comment

Thanks for correcting my explanation of our structure and you are quite correct in your comments. I very much appreciate our helpful response as I am searching for options right now.

We actually have 8 garages with a forecourt in front of them at the back of the main building which I believe might be the best option to place a new building. The garages back onto school playing fields could this be an issue?. The flats are in a long block with a service road and small gardens on one side and a large communal garden on the other side so I was thinking that a small house might also fit in th corner of this garden area and would as you say face the road.

Comment

Where will the vehicles that use the 8 garages park. Off street parking for your exisiting building and the new build will be a prime consideration. What about refuse collection and emergency vehicle access?
        Check out your local planning website as to it's guidelines on this and other planning norms.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X