X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trishd
    started a topic Front garden decking

Front garden decking

This is the front garden of a groundfloor garden flat. I have decked an area with level ground wooden decking. Should I have applied for planning permission.It a house which was converted into 2 flats some time ago

• Tipper
    replied
    When we added a 'raised' deck we were told it needed pp due to the impact on neighbouring properties, ie looking into their gardens/windows.

Presumably if it is at ground level then it is just the change of surface treatment so pp not necessary.

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    Although the flooding issue is the one that has resulted in changes in the permitted development rules (ignored by the cowboy front yard concreters) there is another concern about destroying wildlife corridors.

You should also check the original planning consent for conditions. Even for houses, it is becoming more and more common that a condition is imposed that a certain part of the front yard should be soft landscaped when consent is given for extensions or garage conversions.

To some extent, removing vegetation also increases CO2 levels and prevents evaporative cooling (which also contributes to flooding).

Leave a comment:

• MisterB
    replied
    i agree with the previous comment.
    so long as water can drain onto and into the ground below, I don't see it as an issue. there has been lots of concern over the last few years re turning front gardens into non permeable surfaces and resulting in rain water being directed into sewers which are already at capacity. this 'apparently' has led to flooding ..... nothing to do with additional building on flood plains, rivers being diverted of course ...

Leave a comment:

• Hollywood
    replied
    I do not think PP is required, I see this as a free standing temporary structure.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X