Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visit from council to a fence which is too high

Good evening everyone.
    So in the last 6 months I have been busy refurbishing a flat.

i even had a nice new garden. I wanted a fence as well for privacy. So that was made in December.

on the 2nd of Jan a council planning officer came by stating my fence was over 1m and too high from the pavement/road.

i honestly did not know. And i told him my reasons as well. Anyway he was a very nice person and reaosnable. He said he would have a talk with his colleagues and email me back.

He was back in contact the other day to let me know i could go about it 2 ways.

one i submit a planning permission for it and cost is £234.

or i can do it under permitted development but have to reduce the fence by 300mm including the concrete posts etc. I have been quoted already £250 for the work.

i wanted to have a go at planning permission as that way there will be no screwing up my nice fence or posts breaking etc..

do i really need an architect just for a fence? Its already there. I am capable of making a drawing with dimensions.

what do you guys think?
    thanks

The 1m rule is for the front fence fronting onto a public highway, and it is basically there for crime prevention, probably originally to ensure that intruders were visible from the road, but, these days it also protects the road from fly tipping.

Are you sure that you will actually get planning consent, if you do apply?

Comment

You don't need an architect. You often see amateur drawings of all types accompanying simple planning permission applications, and the council only seems to object if it is not clear what is being proposed. You can include photos as well.

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
      Are you sure that you will actually get planning consent, if you do apply?
      It's definitely worth getting an informal view on this from the person from the council.

Comment

Does this apply to wire fences too as I've just added a 1.8m security fence inboard of the 2.5m high hedge that forms the boundary that borders the road?

Comment

Ok i have spoken to the council. We shall just be reducing by 300mm and he said to call him once done so he can come out and see it.
          he will then close the case. And that will be the end of it.

he did mention he couldnt guarantee if the planning application would go through. Also the price was £346 as fence was put up already.

so permitted development is the best way to go.

Comment

Tip- get the posts cut nice and flat then get a plastic post cap screwed to the top on a bed of gripfill or similar. This will look nice and protect the steel rods which will be exposed from rusting and the issues that causes.
            (Hubby advice btw)

Comment

Originally posted by Moy View Post
              Tip- get the posts cut nice and flat then get a plastic post cap screwed to the top on a bed of gripfill or similar. This will look nice and protect the steel rods which will be exposed from rusting and the issues that causes.
              (Hubby advice btw)
              Sounds absolutely dreadful and Gripfill is not suitable for outside use.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Licence to alter
                Affinity
                Hello,

I would like your view.
                In a licence to alter, is the following timeline pretty standard?
                - for the works must be started within six months from completion of the licence
                - to be completed within 12 months from completion of the licence

12 months...
                20-01-2019, 08:28 AM
              • Reply to Licence to alter
                flyingfreehold
                the key thing is that the usual buildings insurer will not cover the works in progress and the contractor must have cover for work in progress
                23-01-2019, 00:25 AM
                Affinity
                Much appreciated. Thank you, Lawcruncher
                20-01-2019, 13:44 PM
                Lawcruncher
                Definitely not. The time limit is not too long for a conversion. It allows for all the sort of delays that can occur. If I were acting for a leaseholder I would go for belt and braces and be looking for a bit longer. In fact I am not sure a time limit is really needed. More important is to provide that...
                20-01-2019, 12:54 PM
                Affinity
                Thank you, Lawcruncher.
                Do you consider converting the loft into a second bedroom and bathroom something minor?

Your view is appreciated. Many thanks
                20-01-2019, 12:36 PM
                Lawcruncher
                Depends on the nature of the works, but I would not say it is too long for anything other than something very minor.
                20-01-2019, 10:15 AM
              • Front garden decking
                trishd
                This is the front garden of a groundfloor garden flat. I have decked an area with level ground wooden decking. Should I have applied for planning permission.It a house which was converted into 2 flats some time ago
                16-01-2019, 18:52 PM
              • Reply to Front garden decking
                Tipper
                When we added a 'raised' deck we were told it needed pp due to the impact on neighbouring properties, ie looking into their gardens/windows.

Presumably if it is at ground level then it is just the change of surface treatment so pp not necessary.
                18-01-2019, 14:28 PM
                leaseholder64
                Although the flooding issue is the one that has resulted in changes in the permitted development rules (ignored by the cowboy front yard concreters) there is another concern about destroying wildlife corridors.

You should also check the original planning consent for conditions. Even for...
                18-01-2019, 10:47 AM
                MisterB
                i agree with the previous comment.
                so long as water can drain onto and into the ground below, I don't see it as an issue. there has been lots of concern over the last few years re turning front gardens into non permeable surfaces and resulting in rain water being directed into sewers which are...
                18-01-2019, 09:29 AM
              Working...
              X