New Postal Address query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Postal Address query

Is it possible to apply to the Council for a new postal address without having Title registered at Land Registry?

For clarity behind this question - I have created an annexe out of a FH property - originally access through the main property, but now want to rent it out and thus need a postal address.
    Or is there a different way of getting an address for the annexe?

Originally posted by HP mum View Post
    Is it possible to apply to the Council for a new postal address without having Title registered at Land Registry?
    Yes it is.

(I suspect what you mean is: The whole property is already registered; do I need to get the annexe registered under a separate title? The answer to that question is "Definitely not". There is no limit to the number of houses or units which can be registered under a single title.)

Comment

OH wow - a simple answer to something I thought was really complex!! Thank you.

So the annexe becomes a kind of sub-lease you mean?
      I apply for Planning Permission so that the annexe can be independent and can have a new access door?
      Then with the PP I contact the local Council and ask for a new postal address? (There are easy address options which used to exist but got demolished like 70y ago... so would kind of be reinstating)
      Is that it?

Comment

So the annexe becomes a kind of sub-lease you mean?
        No. You say the property is freehold. There will be no lease or tenancy of any kind until you grant one. You can only have a sub-lease if there is first a lease, e.g. A grants a lease to B and B grants a lease (whether of part or whole) to C. The lease granted by A is a head lease (or just simply a lease if there is no sub-lease) and the lease granted by B is a sub-lease.

Land Registry titles do not have regard to occupations as such. You can have a row of houses all registered under the same title. Equally, a single house may be registered under two or more titles. If you sub-divide land but not ownership there is no need to do anything at the Land Registry. It is only when part of a title is sold or otherwise dealt with that a new title is created with the land disposed of being removed from the existing title.

I apply for Planning Permission so that the annexe can be independent and can have a new access door?
        Then with the PP I contact the local Council and ask for a new postal address? (There are easy address options which used to exist but got demolished like 70y ago... so would kind of be reinstating)
        Is that it?
        I think you need to run that past your local authority.

Comment

Always had a lease. Then bought the FH - which is held separately.
          Lawyers have created 2 new leases for the purposes of dealing with the 2 parts separately - but nothing has been done with them yet.

Comment

I did. I ran two business on a site which was not registered with the land registry,, each business had its own building, I rented both buildings out to two separate tenants and both businesses then received a brand new address, and at the same time the council created a new postcode.
            I would be inclined to telephone the Road Naming and Numbering department of the council for advice.

Comment

Speak to the Council first, who will then allocate an address, providing you have planning permission. I think you'll find that Royal Mail issues postcodes, at the request of the local authority.

Won't you need to separate the utilities for the two separate dwellings?

Comment

As stated above, it is the planning department that will create a new postal address once the development has been completed and a separate dwelling comes into existence.
                It is then that notices are served on the utilities companies and Post Office after the appropriate fee is paid to the council planning department.

The Land Registry do not need to be involved, unless you actually agree to grant a long lease to the separate dwelling, which would then result in a separate leasehold title being registered.

Other than that the original Register of title remains in existence, even if more than one dwelling is then located on the land identified by the red line drawn on the title plan.

That is what happened when I built a new house in the garden of an existing plot that had an original house on it.
                Since neither house has been sold, the original title plan just shows one house and its original garden.

The latest Ordnance Survey plan does now show two houses on the plot with two entirely different postal addresses, because the new house is accessed from the side road that runs at 90 degrees to the original road.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X