Partial sign off

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partial sign off

Newbie alert, so any advice gratefully received.

I've been renovating a property conversion from offices to three x one bedroom flats. Two of the flats are now ready for tenants, but funds have run very low on finishing the third, which still needs a bathroom and kitchen fitted. I have tenants lined up for September for the two finished flats, the income from which will enable me to complete the whole project.

Is it possible to get planning to sign off the job whilst the ground floor flat is not finished? Or is it possible to have a partial sign off so I can rent the top two flats?

I'm in the process of trying to arrange electrical inspection certificates and fire safety certificates.

I was intending paying council tax for the whole building myself, same with water, but splitting their electricity supplies to their own meters.

Is there anything I may not have thought of that's going to trip me up before I can rent the flats out? It suddenly all seems a bit daunting and I'm not sure what to do first.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I don't think you have discretion on who pays the council tax. If they are self contained flats and let in their entirety, the tenant pays. In fact, tenants would be advised that they probably have a rogue landlord if the property should be registered for individual council tax, but is not.

A typical reason for requiring sign off for planning is that there is a condition (e.g. landscaping gardens) that the owner is likely to consider disadvantageous to them. In such cases, I can't see the council signing off any part before that condition is met.

Comment

I wasn't aware of that regarding the council tax, I thought it would make the flat more appealing with less bills to pay, but thank you for your advice, I'll arrange it the proper way.

Do you mean extra conditions detailed when the application was granted? There weren't any in our case. It's purely a cash flow issue that we can't complete the third flat. Does this mean they probably wont sign anything at all off until all three flats are finished, so no-one can move in? That's complete disaster for me if it is

Comment

Sounds like you are confusing two different departments, Planning and Building Control.
        There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

You're right I probably am getting mixed up

We were told we didn't need building control permission, it was a planning change of use and no structural alterations have taken place.

Just had a conversation with the local planning department who have advised we can rent two of the flats out whilst the third is being fitted out, without any inspection on their part.

So am I right in thinking then, as long as I get fire safety certificates, electrical safety certificates (no gas in the building) and inform the valuations office that we're now three separate dwellings, we can get on with renting them out? I should point out that my two sons are renting them, so the normal bond / contract stuff isn't required. I'm just nervous that we will get something horribly wrong unintentionally.

Thanks so much for your input I feel like my head about to go pop at the moment!

Comment

Who advised you that there was no requirement for Building Regs approval? Hhhmmm. I hope they have PI cover
            There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

So, have you not complied with the building regs on such things as thermal insulation, acoustic insulation, sound test, fire escapes, fire protection and detection, etc, etc? You could be in for a very large bill to complete your conversion! I think you have been badly advised. Failure to meet the building regs is a criminal offence by the way.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X