New Sash Windows and wooden frames

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    New Sash Windows and wooden frames

    Hi All,

    New to this site and hoping someone can advise. Have purchased a property in Greenwich which I'm fully renovating inside out pending planning perm. It is part of a conservation area therefore will need new sash Windows and wood frames. I have had a 3-4 quotes ranging from £12k - £24k for the same specs. The lowest end company build and transport their sash and frames from Poland. And seems they are not Fensa registered. Would this matter when I go to sell the place. New Windows and doors throughout the house is needed.
    I spoke to one medium priced company who have warned not to go with non-Fensa companies as there is no guarentee nor Fensa reg.
    many thanks

    Quite likely to cause an issue when you come to sell.

    A conservation area order will be specific about what kind of replacement windows and doors are acceptable. Hardwood replacements likely to be required for windows/doors visible from public places; some London boroughs permit UPVC doors or frames for windows round the back. Fensa registered installers know the rules for each area, which is why any potential buyer will want to see the certificate.

    I think, but may be wrong, that you can opt for building regs compliance instead of a Fensa cert. Phone Greenwich building control to find out, and if this is the case your Polish contractors could go via that route as long as they are very clear about the requirements.

    Contractors can of course issue their own guarantee, but only you can judge whether that's worth the paper it's written on.


      If the installer is non-FENSA then you can go through Building Control to gain approval for the windows. However, this will mean the installer providing information to you for submission and the installation being approved. I would suspect that the non-FENSA installer is unlikely to be able to provide the required information. You could ask them to prove that their work has been approved by Building Control on other, recent jobs.

      May be simpler just to go with a FENSA company.

      Who's dealing with your Conservation Area Consent with the Plannning Department?

      Although the specialist firms may charge more, they may also deal with the statutory paperwork as part of the price, or at least have the information already available for you.

      Not far from me in Lewisham.
      There is always scope for misinterpretation.

      If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

      Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.


        I had some replacement timber windows made for a renovation ten years ago. I had them made identical to the originals, so no-one cottoned on!


        Latest Activity