New Sash Windows and wooden frames

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Londondev
    started a topic New Sash Windows and wooden frames

    New Sash Windows and wooden frames

    Hi All,

    New to this site and hoping someone can advise. Have purchased a property in Greenwich which I'm fully renovating inside out pending planning perm. It is part of a conservation area therefore will need new sash Windows and wood frames. I have had a 3-4 quotes ranging from £12k - £24k for the same specs. The lowest end company build and transport their sash and frames from Poland. And seems they are not Fensa registered. Would this matter when I go to sell the place. New Windows and doors throughout the house is needed.
    I spoke to one medium priced company who have warned not to go with non-Fensa companies as there is no guarentee nor Fensa reg.
    many thanks

  • JK0
    I had some replacement timber windows made for a renovation ten years ago. I had them made identical to the originals, so no-one cottoned on!

    Leave a comment:

  • mk1fan
    If the installer is non-FENSA then you can go through Building Control to gain approval for the windows. However, this will mean the installer providing information to you for submission and the installation being approved. I would suspect that the non-FENSA installer is unlikely to be able to provide the required information. You could ask them to prove that their work has been approved by Building Control on other, recent jobs.

    May be simpler just to go with a FENSA company.

    Who's dealing with your Conservation Area Consent with the Plannning Department?

    Although the specialist firms may charge more, they may also deal with the statutory paperwork as part of the price, or at least have the information already available for you.

    Not far from me in Lewisham.

    Leave a comment:

  • bluebonnie
    Quite likely to cause an issue when you come to sell.

    A conservation area order will be specific about what kind of replacement windows and doors are acceptable. Hardwood replacements likely to be required for windows/doors visible from public places; some London boroughs permit UPVC doors or frames for windows round the back. Fensa registered installers know the rules for each area, which is why any potential buyer will want to see the certificate.

    I think, but may be wrong, that you can opt for building regs compliance instead of a Fensa cert. Phone Greenwich building control to find out, and if this is the case your Polish contractors could go via that route as long as they are very clear about the requirements.

    Contractors can of course issue their own guarantee, but only you can judge whether that's worth the paper it's written on.

    Leave a comment:

Latest Activity


  • Chimney Removal from the roof
    As a part of roof renovation works we want to remove external part of the chimney (above the roof line). The house is semi detached, the chimney is located in the outer part of the house and is not part of any party wall.
    The condition of the chimney is quite bad and we prefer to remove everything...
    05-07-2019, 09:11 AM
  • Reply to Chimney Removal from the roof
    That's right!
    We are only removing the part above the roof line, and the example recommendation from leaseholder64 might be more applicable when some parts of the chimney would be removed from inside of the house, which is not the case.
    Many thanks you both for a prompt reply!
    05-07-2019, 14:59 PM
  • Reply to Chimney Removal from the roof
    Well reading that document I see no reason to talk to Building Control at all! All that is being proposed is removal of the top of the chimney to below the roof line. As long as suitable ventilation is provided at the new 'top' then just get on with it.

    I say this from having researched...
    05-07-2019, 14:26 PM
  • Reply to Chimney Removal from the roof
    Building Control definitely needs to be notified, see, for example,
    05-07-2019, 11:10 AM
  • Reply to Chimney Removal from the roof
    I would have a word with building control Demolition work tends to be notifiable and the change in weight distribution may affect the structure.

    I'm not sure about planning permission, but I don't recognize it as being a permitted development.

    You may well find that a photograph...
    05-07-2019, 11:02 AM
  • property access issue?
    Hi all
    Couple of questions, Im looking to make a planning application to change a commercial B1 property to residential (property build around 1820)
    The building has had historically (I think an original door) and still physically has in place the doorway but which leads out to a neighbors...
    04-07-2019, 19:09 PM
  • Reply to property access issue?
    First thing you need to find out is whether the property has any right of access over either the driveway or the pub car park. Presumably it has a right of access from somewhere?
    04-07-2019, 19:44 PM
  • listed building consent
    Damp Proof Course what have been your experiences with applying for planning and listed building consent for a modern damp proof course where there is not one already and the groundfloor flat is damp?
    22-06-2019, 16:25 PM
  • Reply to listed building consent
    Yes agree with you leaseholder 64 however the leaseholder was told by his surveyor that a DPC would do the trick so to speak however this advice can not be followed as listed building consent is required which would not be given as a modern DPC for a listed building would be a BIG no no and seen as...
    23-06-2019, 19:58 PM
  • Reply to listed building consent
    Is the lower part of the wall at least 150mm above ground level? If not a DPC is not really an option. (I'm not quite clear about the ground is higher sentence, but it sounds like it means that the damp wall is below ground level.)

    In any case, my feeling would be that, on an old building,...
    23-06-2019, 19:12 PM