New Sash Windows and wooden frames

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    New Sash Windows and wooden frames

    Hi All,

    New to this site and hoping someone can advise. Have purchased a property in Greenwich which I'm fully renovating inside out pending planning perm. It is part of a conservation area therefore will need new sash Windows and wood frames. I have had a 3-4 quotes ranging from £12k - £24k for the same specs. The lowest end company build and transport their sash and frames from Poland. And seems they are not Fensa registered. Would this matter when I go to sell the place. New Windows and doors throughout the house is needed.
    I spoke to one medium priced company who have warned not to go with non-Fensa companies as there is no guarentee nor Fensa reg.
    many thanks

    Quite likely to cause an issue when you come to sell.

    A conservation area order will be specific about what kind of replacement windows and doors are acceptable. Hardwood replacements likely to be required for windows/doors visible from public places; some London boroughs permit UPVC doors or frames for windows round the back. Fensa registered installers know the rules for each area, which is why any potential buyer will want to see the certificate.

    I think, but may be wrong, that you can opt for building regs compliance instead of a Fensa cert. Phone Greenwich building control to find out, and if this is the case your Polish contractors could go via that route as long as they are very clear about the requirements.

    Contractors can of course issue their own guarantee, but only you can judge whether that's worth the paper it's written on.


      If the installer is non-FENSA then you can go through Building Control to gain approval for the windows. However, this will mean the installer providing information to you for submission and the installation being approved. I would suspect that the non-FENSA installer is unlikely to be able to provide the required information. You could ask them to prove that their work has been approved by Building Control on other, recent jobs.

      May be simpler just to go with a FENSA company.

      Who's dealing with your Conservation Area Consent with the Plannning Department?

      Although the specialist firms may charge more, they may also deal with the statutory paperwork as part of the price, or at least have the information already available for you.

      Not far from me in Lewisham.
      There is always scope for misinterpretation.

      If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

      Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.


        I had some replacement timber windows made for a renovation ten years ago. I had them made identical to the originals, so no-one cottoned on!


        Latest Activity


        • Licence to alter

          I would like your view.
          In a licence to alter, is the following timeline pretty standard?
          - for the works must be started within six months from completion of the licence
          - to be completed within 12 months from completion of the licence

          12 months...
          20-01-2019, 08:28 AM
        • Reply to Licence to alter
          Much appreciated. Thank you, Lawcruncher
          20-01-2019, 13:44 PM
        • Reply to Licence to alter
          Definitely not. The time limit is not too long for a conversion. It allows for all the sort of delays that can occur. If I were acting for a leaseholder I would go for belt and braces and be looking for a bit longer. In fact I am not sure a time limit is really needed. More important is to provide that...
          20-01-2019, 12:54 PM
        • Reply to Licence to alter
          Thank you, Lawcruncher.
          Do you consider converting the loft into a second bedroom and bathroom something minor?

          Your view is appreciated. Many thanks
          20-01-2019, 12:36 PM
        • Reply to Licence to alter
          Depends on the nature of the works, but I would not say it is too long for anything other than something very minor.
          20-01-2019, 10:15 AM
        • Front garden decking
          This is the front garden of a groundfloor garden flat. I have decked an area with level ground wooden decking. Should I have applied for planning permission.It a house which was converted into 2 flats some time ago
          16-01-2019, 18:52 PM
        • Reply to Front garden decking
          When we added a 'raised' deck we were told it needed pp due to the impact on neighbouring properties, ie looking into their gardens/windows.

          Presumably if it is at ground level then it is just the change of surface treatment so pp not necessary.
          18-01-2019, 14:28 PM
        • Reply to Front garden decking
          Although the flooding issue is the one that has resulted in changes in the permitted development rules (ignored by the cowboy front yard concreters) there is another concern about destroying wildlife corridors.

          You should also check the original planning consent for conditions. Even for...
          18-01-2019, 10:47 AM
        • Reply to Front garden decking
          i agree with the previous comment.
          so long as water can drain onto and into the ground below, I don't see it as an issue. there has been lots of concern over the last few years re turning front gardens into non permeable surfaces and resulting in rain water being directed into sewers which are...
          18-01-2019, 09:29 AM
        • Reply to Front garden decking
          I do not think PP is required, I see this as a free standing temporary structure.
          17-01-2019, 18:50 PM