Covenant refers to not using the property in a way that would become a nuisance...?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Covenant refers to not using the property in a way that would become a nuisance...?

Hi I am in the process of buying a shop with a house over it. The shop has been there in excess of 90 years.

Once we takeover the plan is to (subject to planning) knock through to the house to extend the shop and turn the upstairs into a flat and possibly extend that slightly above the shop.

In the covenant dated 1905 there is this :

You must not use the Property for any purpose which will become a nuisance for any other Property owners.

What sort of things do they mean? Could this mean extending the shop could be a nuisance, even though there is already a shop?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/statutor...ith-complaints

I don't think you would get enforcement if the council wouldn't act. If it wanted to cover more it would have said annoyance.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• digging basement under FH house
      HP mum
      I own a FH property and am planning to renovate it. It is a 3 floor property with garages at ground level. One of the garages is held on a Lease by s/o else - but I own the FH. I want to create a basement dig under the whole FH, including the leasehold garage. Initial talks with my lawyer suggests...
      09-02-2018, 12:36 PM
    • Reply to digging basement under FH house
      HP mum
      I'd quite like to go up and down - if finances allow. Especially as the foundations would need to be strengthened/ under-pinned - so whilst down there, I might as well dig out a basement??...
      21-02-2018, 14:19 PM
    • Suing freehold for apartment loss of value & rent
      Nought
      8 flats & 8 company shareholders and 8 shares.
      5/8 want to allow permission someone to buy the roof space, above my flat, to make an independent apartment. I was told my flat would suffer a loss of 20% if an apartment was built above mine. Can I sue the freehold company or the shareholders...
      21-02-2018, 10:57 AM
    • Reply to Suing freehold for apartment loss of value & rent
      mk1fan
      I agree. Loss of value is nonsense. Unless you have just bought and then sell right after the works are done. Even then market as a whole may have changed.
      21-02-2018, 12:40 PM
    • Reply to Suing freehold for apartment loss of value & rent
      JK0
      I guess the loss of rent is easy enough to prove. I think you might struggle in court with the loss of value. Best thing to do is to negotiate a fee for the whole thing, (for the loss of value, loss of rent and for being helpful with access etc).
      21-02-2018, 11:34 AM
      mk1fan
      Adding two storeys onto an existing property may elliviate the 'scurge' of basement conversions but it is more than likely that the existing structure will require strengthening. So underpinning and buttressing. Basement would be cheap by comparrison.
      20-02-2018, 15:04 PM
      HP mum
      Thanks - yes I have asked regularly but the leaseholder isn't interested. Shame.
      They may change their mind eventually. But for the moment I am exploring the idea of digging below it rather than incorporating it.
      20-02-2018, 10:39 AM
      Lorimer
      Just a thought. As the leasehold garage at ground floor level has not been used in years, how about buying it? That way, you won't need to excavate a basement to get the additional living space that you want. You could just incorporate the ground floor level garage space into your house or convert it...
      20-02-2018, 06:59 AM
      HP mum
      Thanks MK1. Ironically I have been put through almost 5 years of building work (noise/ disruption) by the same neighbour. They didnt live in it but we had to 'endure' builders all this time.
      This is still a little dream I want to explore.
      Also of interest is Sajid Javid - Secretary...
      20-02-2018, 00:10 AM
    • Easement rights
      Neil2011
      Hello all,

I own a freehold end of terrace circa 1917 house. The rear of the property ( a garden with a garage at the end) backs onto a un-tarmacked narrow lane with no drainage. Mine and other property deeds state I have unhindered access for a horse and cart. The lane is shared with a...
      13-02-2018, 22:54 PM
    Working...
    X