Share of Freehold (House converted into 2 Flats) - looking to add a basement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Share of Freehold (House converted into 2 Flats) - looking to add a basement

Hi,

I have share of freehold and a long lease over the ground floor flat and the front garden.
    The Freehold covers 2 leases - the ground floor and the upstairs flat.
    The lease for the flat upstairs covers the complete 1st floor.

I'm looking to build a basement extension to my ground floor flat. I'm aware I need to get a "licence to alter" from the upstairs because of the share of freehold.
    Would I have to compensate the owner of the upstairs flat to build a basement which is an extension to my lease?

She hasn't mentioned it yet but is looking to get a solicitor involved.

Edit: Another questions.
    The upstairs flat is rented out. The works are only allowed to occur during 9-5 during the week in the local area.
    Would she be entitled to compensation for any loss of rent?

Any advise would be welcome.

Last edited by kmac110; 03-01-2018, 14:45 PM. Reason: Adding 2nd questions

Loss of rent ? probably if tenant moves out because of the disruption / noise, or works nights and can't sleep during the day.

But what type of house is it ? detached, semi, terraced ?
    I would not bother, as the original foundations wont be 7 foot below ground.
    Chance of house collapsing if not done right.

Where is the water table ? 20 foot below, or 7 foot below foundations ?

31BA6E7600000578-0-image-a-18_1456826752474.jpg

see http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...pensation.html

Comment

Its a semi detached house.
      It has already been approved by the council and the a structural engineer has confirmed its doable.

There has already been a few basements built on my street so I'm confident it can be done.

My concerns are regarding what compensation the upstairs flat may request. They haven't asked for anything yet but are going to seek legal advice. I would assume a solicitor would be keen to look after their client and advise them on what options are available.

Comment

You could suggest that in return for their agreement to your basement they could extend into the roof space.

Is the freehold held by two individuals or in a company? (although I don't suppose that really makes a difference as you're dealing with one other person be they a joint freeholder or director of the company)

Comment

Originally posted by Tipper View Post
          You could suggest that in return for their agreement to your basement they could extend into the roof space.
          and if they agree IN WRITING then make sure your building engineered calculations include additional weight due to potential loft conversion

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X