Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lease extension and Loft extension - Demise/Rights/Premium

Hi All,

I own a leasehold first floor 1 bedroom flat.

I am planning on carrying out a L shaped loft conversion.- dormer extension and extension over the outrigger - adding an additional 2 rooms.

Having read the lease it appears that the loft space/roof is demised - a second opinion would be appriciated -

'all that first floor flat for the purpose and identifacation only and not of limitaiton or grant delineated on the plan ennexed hereto including for the prupose of obligation as well as grant

d- the roof and any part or parts of the building lying above the ceiling of the first floor flat.

f - all fixture and fittings in or about the flat and not hereafter expressly excluded from this demise but not inlcuding:

i- any of the main timbers and joist of the building or any of the external walls of the flat except such of the plastered surfaces thereof and the door frame fitted therin as are expressly included in this demise

ii - any pipes wires or conduits in the building which do not serve the flat exclusively
    '
    However the air space isnt specifically stated as demised - is this going to be an issue?can the freeholder demand a premium for this right as the dormer and outrigger extension will enrouch upon the air rights?

I will be required to carry out structural works to the party walls- inserting beams/ and also running waste pipes extenally throught he exterior walls - is this going to be an issue?- can the freeholder demand a premium for such rights for the above works?

In terms of being able to make the alterations the lease permits alteraitons as per the extract below

;
    not at any time during the said term to make any alterations in or additions to the demised premises or any part thereof or to cut maim alter or injure any of the walls or timbers thereof or to alter the landlords fixtures and fitting therein without first having made a written application (accompanied by all plans and specifications) in respect thereof to the lessor and secondly having recieved the written consent of the lessor thereto.
    - however it omits the 'Not to be unreasonably witheld' wording - is this going to be a problem.

My biggest concern is having to pay a premium to the freeholder.

Secondly to complicate matters there is 67 years remaining on the lease and i intend to extend the lease - in terms of strategy what would be the best option
    1. pay the premium based on a 1 bed flat extend the lease and then apply for a licence to alter to carry out the loft extension to convert into 3 bed.
    2. carry out the lease extension based on a 1 bed flat and vary the lease terms to make the licence to alter process easier - ie freehodler consent not to be unreasonably witheld and include airpace within the demise - then apply for the licence to alter therfore reducing the risk of a premium being due to the freehodler.
    3. wrap up the proposed licence to alter with the the lease extension

If i was to go with option 3 and apply for the licence to alter whilst still negotiating the premium - what impact does this have on the premium? - am in a weaker negotiating position which will increase the premium for the lease extension ?.

your thoughts/advice would be much welcomed.

many thanks

I'm going to assume the moderator will merge the threads, so this is an answer to the question about the licence.

A licence is simply a permission to do something that would otherwise not be allowed. As such, I would say the letter was a licence. Do you mean one executed as a deed, which is easy to do yourself, or maybe one written in legalise and considering all the fine details? As you have to submit plans, I would have thought most of your professional costs would go into them and the licence would simply say you must fully conform with the plans, to the satisfaction of their surveyor, whose fees you will pay, and obtain building control and planning consent, together with any consideration required for the increase in value.

As you seem to be extending, your real professional cost is likely to be in the lease variation.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Freeholder running business in common areas?
      Benzo
      Hi guys

I live in a small block of flats. We have some common land in front of the block which used to be gardens when the flats were originally built, but which were converted into a car park about 15 years ago. This was done at residents expense as it was intended for residents sole...
      30-12-2017, 10:44 AM
    • Reply to Freeholder running business in common areas?
      Benzo
      I've finally got through to the council who told me that residential car park to commercial car park does not constitute a planning breach as the land use (parking cars) has not changed.

They did suggest that the freeholders should have consulted us on this change (which they did not) before...
      17-01-2018, 12:07 PM
    • Demise of the loft
      Affinity
      We are three leaseholders sharing the freehold of a property (which is divided into three flats).
      The recent buyer of the top flat asked for the loft to be demised to her (in exchange for her being responsible for the repairs of the roof/gutters). We have amended the lease and demised the loft...
      19-12-2017, 21:33 PM
    • Reply to Demise of the loft
      ram
      This thread is about getting nothing for the loft and nothing for the roof, and the concequences of giving everything away for free, and having only one person / leasholder having sole responsibility for the roof, and being unable to afford a new roof when the time comes.
      Your arguments have validity,
      15-01-2018, 18:47 PM
    • Reply to Demise of the loft
      Vassena
      I believe what RAM says is incorrect.

For residential properties, if the lease of the upstairs flat now includes the loft space and roof (owning the roof de facto means you own the airspace above as per Davies v Yadegar 1990), then the Freeholders have no right to ask for a premium for...
      15-01-2018, 10:37 AM
    • another roof terrace dilema
      boss1234
      Hi there,

I know there have been several posts on this before but each case poses a new problem.

I puchased a flat 4 months ago with share of freehold with 3 other flats. It is on the first floor of a house conversion, with the main bedroom stepped down at the rear of the property...
      12-01-2018, 14:21 PM
    • Reply to another roof terrace dilema
      leaseholder64
      Planning permission usually has about a two year time limit, although you need to look at the actual decision to find this out.

If you believe the roof is now overloaded, you could raise a building control violation report with the council.

The entity (company or tenants in...
      12-01-2018, 14:40 PM
    • Share of Freehold (House converted into 2 Flats) - looking to add a basement
      kmac110
      Hi,

I have share of freehold and a long lease over the ground floor flat and the front garden.
      The Freehold covers 2 leases - the ground floor and the upstairs flat.
      The lease for the flat upstairs covers the complete 1st floor.

I'm looking to build a basement extension...
      03-01-2018, 15:31 PM
    • Reply to Share of Freehold (House converted into 2 Flats) - looking to add a basement
      MisterB
      and if they agree IN WRITING then make sure your building engineered calculations include additional weight due to potential loft conversion...
      10-01-2018, 07:56 AM
    • Boundary wall question
      Neil2011
      Hi
      I own an end of terrace house. The pervious owners had put an extension onto the side which sits right on the boundary line with the house next door. This is a semi detached property. The house next door had attached a basic lean to garage/shed onto the extension wall. The house is undergoing...
      08-01-2018, 10:59 AM
    Working...
    X