Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting a 2 bedroom maisonette to 2 x Studio / 1 Beds - Brighton

Hi

We currently have the freehold to the building that contains a maisonette 2 bed flat and a ground floor 1 bed flat

We are wanting to convert the maisonette into 2 separate flats as we do holiday lets and are trying to maximise the income.

We have had a friend draft some plans to give us an idea. the floor space is 39 m2 per flat (he estimated at 33 m2)

Is there enough space for us to do this, I'm worried if we do a pre planning application it will be a waste of money and time if it does not meet the minimum requirements.

I have attached the plans of the existing layout and the proposed layout.

do the local council have a 'pre-planning' consultation process. you might be able to visit and discuss your ideas prior to application. i would use the phrase 'creating affordable and good standard living accomodation' as opposed to maximising the income in any discussions. is there a lot of one bed properties available in the area? do the council have a list of people desperate for accommodation (but YOU would be the one saying yes or no to anyone!)? all those things might help if you could evidence them beforehand - there might even be grants available?

of course if you stick to the holiday lets there may be less restrictions though i don't really know anything about that process

ps, have you considered a loft conversion aswell if you own that aswell?? if its not currently viable, just making sure you can in the future could save a lot of money further down the line. even making one of the 2nd floor flats into a two storey mezzanine flat could extend your profits ,,,,

if youre undertaking extensive works then the cost of 'future proofing' might be well worth considering? putting in steels/increasing joist sizes might be worth doing while the place is being revamped and it might allow you to remove walls that currently exist.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Freeholder running business in common areas?
      Benzo
      Hi guys

I live in a small block of flats. We have some common land in front of the block which used to be gardens when the flats were originally built, but which were converted into a car park about 15 years ago. This was done at residents expense as it was intended for residents sole...
      30-12-2017, 10:44 AM
    • Reply to Freeholder running business in common areas?
      Benzo
      I've finally got through to the council who told me that residential car park to commercial car park does not constitute a planning breach as the land use (parking cars) has not changed.

They did suggest that the freeholders should have consulted us on this change (which they did not) before...
      17-01-2018, 12:07 PM
    • Demise of the loft
      Affinity
      We are three leaseholders sharing the freehold of a property (which is divided into three flats).
      The recent buyer of the top flat asked for the loft to be demised to her (in exchange for her being responsible for the repairs of the roof/gutters). We have amended the lease and demised the loft...
      19-12-2017, 21:33 PM
    • Reply to Demise of the loft
      ram
      This thread is about getting nothing for the loft and nothing for the roof, and the concequences of giving everything away for free, and having only one person / leasholder having sole responsibility for the roof, and being unable to afford a new roof when the time comes.
      Your arguments have validity,
      15-01-2018, 18:47 PM
    • Reply to Demise of the loft
      Vassena
      I believe what RAM says is incorrect.

For residential properties, if the lease of the upstairs flat now includes the loft space and roof (owning the roof de facto means you own the airspace above as per Davies v Yadegar 1990), then the Freeholders have no right to ask for a premium for...
      15-01-2018, 10:37 AM
    • another roof terrace dilema
      boss1234
      Hi there,

I know there have been several posts on this before but each case poses a new problem.

I puchased a flat 4 months ago with share of freehold with 3 other flats. It is on the first floor of a house conversion, with the main bedroom stepped down at the rear of the property...
      12-01-2018, 14:21 PM
    • Reply to another roof terrace dilema
      leaseholder64
      Planning permission usually has about a two year time limit, although you need to look at the actual decision to find this out.

If you believe the roof is now overloaded, you could raise a building control violation report with the council.

The entity (company or tenants in...
      12-01-2018, 14:40 PM
    • Share of Freehold (House converted into 2 Flats) - looking to add a basement
      kmac110
      Hi,

I have share of freehold and a long lease over the ground floor flat and the front garden.
      The Freehold covers 2 leases - the ground floor and the upstairs flat.
      The lease for the flat upstairs covers the complete 1st floor.

I'm looking to build a basement extension...
      03-01-2018, 15:31 PM
    • Reply to Share of Freehold (House converted into 2 Flats) - looking to add a basement
      MisterB
      and if they agree IN WRITING then make sure your building engineered calculations include additional weight due to potential loft conversion...
      10-01-2018, 07:56 AM
    • Boundary wall question
      Neil2011
      Hi
      I own an end of terrace house. The pervious owners had put an extension onto the side which sits right on the boundary line with the house next door. This is a semi detached property. The house next door had attached a basic lean to garage/shed onto the extension wall. The house is undergoing...
      08-01-2018, 10:59 AM
    Working...
    X