Need to register my renting flat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to register my renting flat

Hi I have been renting a studio flat for the past 12 years to private tenants mainly students, however I recently got a tenant who is working but wants to register for council tax. The flat is not registered with the local LA is there a way or department I have to contact to register the flat. Thank you

If its just a flat and not a HMO then there should be no need to register the flat. (unless you are in Scotland or your particular council has special rules?).

If it's not an HMO then the tenant is liable for the CT and should just contact the council to pay.
    They will be happy to take his money without Iinvolving you, unless hes claiming benefit.

Students are exempt from CT but should still have been registered to claim the exemption.
    If they weren't then you may be liable to pay for the years that have been missed.
    TBH though someone must have been regustered as paying/exempt or they would be chasing you by now.

Comment

Check to see what band this address is https://www.gov.uk/council-tax-bands

Comment

There are 2 organisations you need to speak with: if the property has never had any council tax banding applied, you need to contact the voa.gov.uk you would need to supply them with a plan of your flat so they can assess which band the property applies to. Once this is done they will contact the local council and tell them about the banding, you then need to contact your local council - council tax department to register yourself or your tenants details.

Students are except from council tax, but I would have assumed the council would have written to the property address. You can contact the council tax dept, supply the address and see whats on the account. The other flats in the development you can check online to see what banding they are if they of similar layout/size to yours as a comparison.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X