Fees for Subletting leasehold flat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fees for Subletting leasehold flat

Hi All - I am looking for some advice as have no idea what to do.

I have received a letter from the managing agents of my BTL property (e&m who I pay my ground rent to) saying they are acting as agents to Proxima GR Properties Ltd (never heard of them but assume they must be leaseholders) and that their records indicate my property is being sublet - e&m are asking me to complete a form with current tenancy details and all previous tenancies and to pay fees of the following within 14 days.

- to register a new tenancy £130
    - to renew an existing tenancy £65
    - retrospective consent surcharge £45

As a bit of background this was my dad's flat which he purchased as a BTL and I inherited this 4 years ago after he died and have continued to run it is as a BTL. There have been 2 tenants during the time I have owned it (using an estate agent to manage it all/set AST in place etc) and the current tenants have renewed their 12 month AST for the past 3 years. I have a mortgage on the property which was all sorted through probate so imagine (but have no proof) that the leaseholders would have been aware that the property was being sublet as also my mortgage is a BTL mortgage and pretty sure I had to pay managing agent fees for the changing registration names as my mortgage lender name is on the title deeds also. The property has a 125 year lease with 94 years remaining.

I have had a look through the documents I have including a copy of the original lease (with the original owner details etc) and the only thing I can find is within the Covenants Enforceable by the Lessor and the Management Company section which states;

"Not at any time during the said term to sublet the whole or any part of the demised premised save that an underletting of the whole of the demised premises (with the prior written consent of the Lessor and any mortgagee of the demised premises) is permitted in the case of a term certain not exceeding three years let at a rack rent".

Either way it doesn't say anything about fees in the lease or deeds and the wording confuses me as I would have thought consent to sublet would be a one off rather than for every new tenant/renewal of AST? As such I don't know where I stand. Personally I have not sought any consent to sublet (I didn't even realise I had to prior to receiving this letter - tbh I didn't even know what leasehold was until I inherited the flat).

So my questions are

1. Do I have to pay these fees and which of the fees actually apply in this case?
    2. Do I actually need to need to seek consent for every new tenancy or when renewing a tenancy?

See here: https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...ve-fee-request

Comment

There are quite a few threads on this forum covering this subject so it's a good idea to read around the issue.

Do check your lease thoroughly especially Landlords Covenants and any restrictive clauses. Basically, if your lease does not state that you have to get consent to sub let or to pay fees for the same or for assignments of transfer etc, then you do not have to.

However this will not stop some management agents from trying to tell you that you do have to and to pursue you aggressively to comply with their requests or else.

They most likely do not know what the terms of your lease are. A well known tactic is to write a generic letter to all those owners who have a different address to the property and then put the pressure on you to comply with their requests.

I would suggest getting legal advice to confirm your position as regards your lease and if you decide to challenge as it is often very hard to communicate directly with these kind of companies. They usually reply to any challenge by the layman by simply repeating their claims and their threats.

It is also a good idea to get together with other leaseholders in your development.

Caveat - IMHO of course.....

Comment

Erm - is the managing agent for P-GR and collects your annual ground rent payment and the demand note will show P-GR is the freeholder of the building. . You are the Leaseholder because you hold a lease on the flat property. .

On the LEASE website , you search the past LVT / FTT decisions and you will find the name of these companies coming up many times.

if the wording in your lease does not mention the lessee is required to pay £130 , £65 and £45, you can ask them to prove its in your lease.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Retrospective consent being asked for from the Directors by our Management Company
          peachtree
          We have been asked as a Directors on two separate occasions to give our retrospective consent on items that the purchaser Solicitors (of one flat) want clarification on regarding the Lease on behalf of the new owners. The items as such are consent for new windows, the actual purchase of & consent...
          19-11-2017, 13:46 PM
        • Reply to Retrospective consent being asked for from the Directors by our Management Company
          Gordon999
          Ram ,

You must have been over working in your daytime job and missed seeing OP's question in post No. 1 which is asking "how to charge the purchase solicitor for giving retrospective consent ?" .

"Not consented at the time" means work done without...
          22-11-2017, 23:58 PM
        • Share of the freehold issues.
          Djswift
          Good Morning all.
          i have always beena reader and this is my first post on here.

Ok so in 2007 i bought ground floor flat as my first place and ww were told it was share of the freehold.
          There are only 2 flats as its a house conversion.

So my undertanding was the...
          21-09-2017, 08:20 AM
        • Reply to Share of the freehold issues.
          leaseholder64
          The ground rent should not be mixed with the service charge. It is money that really belongs to the company, and appears on its statutory accounts.

You should bill yourself, as it is not really you that is billing you.
          22-11-2017, 23:53 PM
        • Reply to Share of the freehold issues.
          Djswift
          Thanks for responding.
          I should have been more clear in what I was trying to say. I need to implement a service charge seeing I will have the whole freehold. It is what my solicitor advised. It is not based on the spur of the moment. A service charge will happen whether upstairs like it or not....
          22-11-2017, 23:14 PM
        • freeholder breach of lease
          sdm038
          Evening all! I have reached a stalemate situation with my freeholder in regard to gaining consent for alterations. ie building an extension, which would involve taking out supporting walls and building into the garden. In theory they have agreed to the work, but are of the opinion I need to 'buy the...
          21-11-2017, 18:26 PM
        • Reply to freeholder breach of lease
          AndrewDod
          No one here is being remotely rude to you. Nor are they being unhelpful. They are stating straightforward facts which you are choosing to ignore....
          22-11-2017, 22:02 PM
        • does section 20 apply
          belvedere
          I own a flat which has RTM, we appointed a local company to manage ( always reliable they managed other blocks where we own flats) they have now been bought by RGM. On checking the accounts I discovered they have a roof survey done which cost £2800 and £185 scaffold hire, they did not consult...
          22-11-2017, 12:18 PM
        • Reply to does section 20 apply
          belvedere
          We are definitely terminating contract, not very happy when found out that RGM had taken over knew they were a problem . W are going to check over our agreement and then take matter further. Its about time there was better clarification with S20. i am sure RGM looked at reserve fund and decided they...
          22-11-2017, 18:14 PM
        • Reply to freeholder breach of lease
          ram
          Your lease is to inhabit the flat for the term of the lease.

The garden is leased to use as a garden in your lease.

You are leasing the garden as a garden, not as a habitable area.

You will not be "buying" part of the garden, you will be changing the
          22-11-2017, 18:12 PM
        Working...
        X