My flat is at the top of the block
    It's been 18 months now
    They management company has tried to fix the leak 3 times
    But haven't managed it
    Now they have agreed to change the whole roof and are getting quotes
    This could take several months
    Am i entitled to a little compensation?
    The service charge is £750 every 3 months
    I'm thinking of asking for two quarters of service charges to be written off
    Please let me know my rights
    Thank you
    Julia

Compensation from who?

The service charge is paid by your fellow lessees, and is calculated as a formula - if you pay less then the service charge account will be bankrupt, because the other lessees cannot be asked to pay more to account for your shortfall (they will already be sharing the roof cost). Compensation is not a service charge item.

Unfortunately the whole structure of law is defective - basically the freeholder is very difficult to hold to account except in extreme circumstances.

Comment

Who were you thinking should pay you compensation? Your neighbours?

Comment

The management company should be held liable?
        For not doing their job?
        18 months is a long time
        Some needs to be held accountable

Comment

Go and talk to a proper solicitor. They may be able to explain it to you!

Who is the Freeholder?

Comment

Originally posted by juliahumming View Post
            Now they have agreed to change the whole roof and are getting quotes
            This could take several months
            A section 21 will be issued ( if the roof payment will cost any leaseholder more than £ 250 )
            If an S21, this can take 3 to 4 months to complete ( Thank the Government for this )

No compensation as Company have at least tried to fix the problem, and are now going to replace the whole roof, so really, they have not been negligent.

Was the company negligent in getting workmen up there to investigate. no, they did it 3 times.
            Managing companies are not tradesmen.
            Would you insist on compensation from Doctors in a Hospital if their first / second / third try at pills to cure your complaint did not work, but the 4th did ?,
            Were the Doctors negligent ?, no they are not.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X