My flat is at the top of the block
    It's been 18 months now
    They management company has tried to fix the leak 3 times
    But haven't managed it
    Now they have agreed to change the whole roof and are getting quotes
    This could take several months
    Am i entitled to a little compensation?
    The service charge is £750 every 3 months
    I'm thinking of asking for two quarters of service charges to be written off
    Please let me know my rights
    Thank you
    Julia

Compensation from who?

The service charge is paid by your fellow lessees, and is calculated as a formula - if you pay less then the service charge account will be bankrupt, because the other lessees cannot be asked to pay more to account for your shortfall (they will already be sharing the roof cost). Compensation is not a service charge item.

Unfortunately the whole structure of law is defective - basically the freeholder is very difficult to hold to account except in extreme circumstances.

Comment

Who were you thinking should pay you compensation? Your neighbours?

Comment

The management company should be held liable?
        For not doing their job?
        18 months is a long time
        Some needs to be held accountable

Comment

Go and talk to a proper solicitor. They may be able to explain it to you!

Who is the Freeholder?

Comment

Originally posted by juliahumming View Post
            Now they have agreed to change the whole roof and are getting quotes
            This could take several months
            A section 21 will be issued ( if the roof payment will cost any leaseholder more than £ 250 )
            If an S21, this can take 3 to 4 months to complete ( Thank the Government for this )

No compensation as Company have at least tried to fix the problem, and are now going to replace the whole roof, so really, they have not been negligent.

Was the company negligent in getting workmen up there to investigate. no, they did it 3 times.
            Managing companies are not tradesmen.
            Would you insist on compensation from Doctors in a Hospital if their first / second / third try at pills to cure your complaint did not work, but the 4th did ?,
            Were the Doctors negligent ?, no they are not.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Applying to Tribunal
              by Paulsen
              I have a complicated history with my managing agent and I have written a few times on here. They have issued debt collecting for “unpaid” ground rent and I don’t think I have an option but to apply to the Tribunal.
              They issued a letter suggesting to use my insurance payment of £3997 against...
              17-01-2020, 15:14 PM
            • Reply to Applying to Tribunal
              by Paulsen
              “Following the expiry of this letter and neither a response nor payment being made, we will continue to collect the arrears in full” this is what it states at the end of the letter. £100 ground rent and £250 fees.

They are acting on behalf of the freeholders, but the managing agent...
              21-01-2020, 00:34 AM
              by fos333
              If they have put your account on hold again it should not be a problem.

Did the letter not contain 'Following the expiry of this letter and neither a response nor payment being made, we will (where applicable) notify the parties with a registered financial interest on HM Land Registry of...
              21-01-2020, 00:04 AM
              by leaseholder64
              Lenders often ask to be informed at an early stage, so I would say they can, and if they are in the habit of it, will do so early.
              20-01-2020, 23:52 PM
              by Paulsen
              Yes the letter from DCA did say to only communicate with them which I have done and they have put the account on hold. I received an email today saying I need to pay them, but I rang again and forwarded the letter from the agent where they are suggesting using my insurance money towards costs. I also...
              20-01-2020, 23:30 PM
              by fos333
              ARMA will not be the redress scheme for your MA, it will be either The Property Ombudsman or Property Redress Scheme.

Google 'leasehold redress schemes' and the information you require is there.

The old MA will be regulated by ARMA who may look at your issues as you already...
              20-01-2020, 22:47 PM
            • Reply to Being removed as a director from freeholder company
              by surreygirl
              Yes I am. I have checked thank you!!...
              20-01-2020, 21:57 PM
            • Being removed as a director from freeholder company
              by surreygirl
              I have just had a notification that I and the rest of the Directors have been removed as Directors from the Company. We have a Managing Agent now and he sent out an email a week ago to say he is now ready to "Manage" the property and has called a meeting for next month to discuss the work...
              20-01-2020, 14:42 PM
            • Reply to Being removed as a director from freeholder company
              by surreygirl
              Thank you all for your comments. Very interesting. The Agent did come back to me and say that we had been put down as owning more the 25% and that was incorrect and so we have been removed as "a person with significant control".

But thank you all for your interest and comments....
              20-01-2020, 21:57 PM
            • Reply to Law Commission's suggested schemes For Leasehold reform
              by TruthLedger
              The doubling of ground rent over a certain period REALLY needs to done away with and so is marriage value and hope value. I also like the idea of not having to pay future ground rent. Of course, it's down to the government to pick and choose from the Law Commission's suggestions and hope for our best...
              20-01-2020, 19:45 PM
            Working...
            X