Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New freeholders requesting sublet fee

Hello,

I saw a long thread about this on this forum but couldn't see an answer to my case (although one person did ask about it).

I've been renting a flat to the same tenants since December 2014. I requested permission from the then freeholder to sublet, and permission was granted, in writing, with no fee.

A new freeholder, {Mod - name removed}, took over towards the end of 2015.

I've just received a letter requesting £140.00 for a sublet application.

The lease says:

Not to underlet the whole of the Apartment except upon terms that the undertenant is liable to pay a rent not less than the aggregate of the rents reserved by this lease and the Tenant's Share of the Expenses and to give notice of such underletting to the Landlord and to pay their fee (being not less than £60 plus VAT).

Does that mean I have to pay the full £140? Does the fact I have already cleared this with the previous freeholders count for nothing?

Thanks.

What does your lease say?
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Written permission from the Freeholder is written permission from the Freeholder.

I reply stating that written consent was granted on date x. Await their response.
      There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

Originally posted by mk1fan View Post
        Written permission from the Freeholder is written permission from the Freeholder.
        I reply stating that written consent was granted on date x. Await their response.
        And, it's only on a change of tenant that you will be asked to pay a fee.

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
          And, it's only on a change of tenant that you will be asked to pay a fee.
          The lease does not in fact say it is per tenant - it says "I am giving notice that I am underletting"

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
            The lease does not in fact say it is per tenant - it says "I am giving notice that I am underletting"
            But when the current December 2014 tenant leaves, a new underletting will commence.
            A new A.S.T, so the freeholder / M.A. wants to know the change of the tenants name, if one 2 or 3 tenants, notifying the block insurance the number of flats let, number of owner occupiers.
            Freeholder /M.A. revising their records, if the letting agent is the same or different.
            Checking to see if the new a.s.t is not in conflict with the lease.

etc etc.

Comment

Yes indeed. But it does not actually say that. What the FH might want (whether legitimately or otherwise) may not be what the lease says he can want. Nor can the FH actually demand to see the actual AST leases (which you suggest he might want) unless the lease says he must. Nor in fact does the lessee have to tell him the NAMES of the tenants or how many there are, or whether they are bisexual, three legged or vegetarian because those too are not required.

We could reword it in English: If you wish to let out your flat, then tell us and pay us a fee. It does not say for each new underletting (well why not every month or every lease year).

The exact words are "to give notice of such underletting to the Landlord" - no more no less.

Comment

If OP has the consent from previous freeholder, then new freehold has no right to demand £60 notice fee .

If you decide pay £60.01, then ask for the VAT number of new freehold company.

Comment

Thank you all for your help with this.

I sent an e-mail to the freeholder confirming that I had already received written permission from the previous freeholder.

They've responded saying that will accept the renewal fee as a gesture of goodwill, and to send that along with the completed application form.

Is anyone positively certain that they have no right to ask for this?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Datopic View Post
                    Is anyone positively certain that they have no right to ask for this?.
                    I have no right to ask for payment for any correct advice given to you, ( looking at the rules and regulations of the Landlordzone.co.uk )
                    BUT I can ask.

You write again by letter, - keep a copy, stating again that you have the previous freeholder's permission to sub-let, and as the sub-tenant details have not changed, there is no fee chargeable, and no fee will be paid.

So what you will do, is to fill out the application form, cross out the word Application, and write - confirmation of details, presumed lost by the current freeholder, then fill it in, as a gesture of good will.

cross out any blanks that are not applicable, so that they cannot add their own hand written comments.

If it mentions fees anywhere, state, If any fees were demanded at the time, ( 2014 ) those fees have been paid.
                    Then -- ( I am not paying twice for the same named sub-tenant )

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
                      You write again by letter, - keep a copy, stating again that you have the previous freeholder's permission to sub-let, and as the sub-tenant details have not changed, there is no fee chargeable, and no fee will be paid.

Then -- ( I am not paying twice for the same named sub-tenant )
                      Personally, I would not mention "same tenant/tenant details have not changed, as this MAY imply acceptance that you need separate permission for each tenant. Say "I am not paying twice for the same permission".

As worded, the clause could be read as "permission is required to sublet. Once granted Lessee can sublet as many times as he likes." You can then use this argument when you get a new tenant.

Comment

I'd suggest they send you the gesture of goodwill if they want the paperwork again.

(I bet you don't hear from them again because they don't really want it. It's just an excuse to collect money from people.)

Comment

Thanks. A couple of things:

- is there a reason why a letter is better than an e-mail?
                          - does anyone know for absolute certain that the fact I notified the original freeholder that I was going to sublet and received written permission from them means I do not need to notify and/or pay the fee of this freeholder (or any future freeholders for that matter)? If so, how do you know?

Comment

The laws on leasehold legislation were drafted many years ago and did not consider email was a reliable form of communication. Some people use software to clean out their in-box or delete infected emails and do not keep emails longer than 7 days.

If you want to send a written letter to landlord , its better to use registered post which requires the recipient to sign on delivery.

Comment

Hello,

I never really got a concrete answer for this, and it's still ongoing.

Does anyone know the answers to any of the following:

1. What does 'to give notice' actually mean? The freeholder told me that 'to give notice' means Is there a legal definition for this somewhere?
                              2. Am I legally allowed to give tenant details?
                              3. Is a fee payable to the new freeholder? If so, what is it for, and how frequently must it be paid? The original contract was a 6 month AST, reverting to a 1 month rolling contract after the fixed term. It is still in the 1 month rolling contract stage.

Thanks.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Help! What does this mean?
                                by smiler2007
                                .....‘On any assignment of this lease (or underletting as the case may be) to obtain a direct covenant from such assignee or underlessee with the landlord to pay the rents hereinbefore reserved and observe and perform the tenant’s covenants and conditions hereby contained and such direct covenants...
                                19-05-2020, 19:02 PM
                              • Reply to Help! What does this mean?
                                by Lawcruncher
                                Clause 2 does not make complete sense. How does it feature in the lease?
                                24-05-2020, 21:51 PM
                              • Section 20 and 18 Month Rule
                                by VPatel2707
                                Good Evening All,

Please can someone assist me with a query?

We are currently in the process of taking the Landlord to a FTT in relation to works completed on a roof.

We believe that there has been a number of substantial flaws with the process - one argument...
                                24-05-2020, 20:00 PM
                              • Service charge bank account.
                                by Nicolas Mollieres
                                I am having trouble opening a bank account for the service charges for the building that I am freeholder for.

It is a small building with 3 leasehold residential flats, and the freehold is held by my LTD company that owns One flat and the personal name of the owner of the other flat. ...
                                22-05-2020, 08:57 AM
                              • Reply to Service charge bank account.
                                by Stacker
                                Do all shareholders have to agree to and give their consent/information so the bank account can be opened?
                                24-05-2020, 18:27 PM
                              • Purchasing common area
                                by Pattyjessie
                                Hi we own a leasehold flat in london, where the freehold is owned by an external management company (not the other lessees in the building). We want to purchase the space that is outside our flat (is small portion of the hallway) that can easily be annexed off. Is it as simple as agreeing this with...
                                23-05-2020, 13:22 PM
                              • Reply to Purchasing common area
                                by Jon66
                                A deed of variation costs around 1500. 750 for your costs and 750 for the freeholder costs. Multiply that x number of apartments.
                                24-05-2020, 17:58 PM
                              • Bird droppings
                                by stum
                                Can anyone please give advice...I have a flat in a purose built block,(30 in total) my lease includes a dedicated car space. My problem is that the car space is directly underneath a gable end of the block and at that point is above the second floor, this is the only car space that has this problem....
                                23-05-2020, 10:14 AM
                              • Reply to Bird droppings
                                by Macromia
                                Service charges rarely are truly 'fair'.
                                However, there are significant differences between the examples you give:

Although, in the instance you describe the intercom repairs may have been in a single flat, all flats presumably have the same intercom system, and all could potentially...
                                24-05-2020, 17:39 PM
                              • Reply to Purchasing common area
                                by Pattyjessie
                                Thank you all. Any idea what type of legal costs would be involved in Andrews solution?
                                24-05-2020, 17:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X