Does our residential management company need to register for Data Protection?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am Company Secretary for our building's residential management company which owns the freehold of the building. There are 7 leasehold flats and I and my 6 fellow leaseholders are the sole shareholders in the company.

The company is not currently registered and has never been registered with the Information Commissioner's Office under the Data Protection Act.

As we obviously need to hold personal data as part of the company records and the records of the property (service charge accounts, leases, deeds etc.), my question is whether there is a requirement for us to register with the ICO and to have to pay the fee of £35 per year.

I have just completed a self-assessment questionnaire on the ICO website which tells me that we are exempt through being a not-for-profit organisation and not having CCTV security cameras.

Does everyone agree with this assessment so that I can sleep easily in my bed at night?

Originally posted by Keith View Post
    No. ( and our Management company has not registered )

You are not getting complete strangers knocking on your door asking for information on the leaseholders, asking how much service charges they pay, or how much they are in arrears ( except from solicitors when flats are sold ).

We hold such info on paper format, not on computer.
    People can ask for such information, and you can refuse to give it,-- simple.
    There is no need to register as you would not disclose private information to strangers anyway.

Comment

Came across the original post above but noticed it was pre-GDPR (May 2018) ...

I am a fairly new director for a non-profit Resident Management Company owned by leaseholders (single share each) in a block of 30 flats. Data held is extremely basic covering just resident names against flat number in a spreadsheet for mail merge letters (e.g. service charge demand). Historical paper correspondence with solicitors regarding past sales is filed in folders per flat.

The ICO on-line self-assessment "not-for-profit" question seems to be heavily biased towards social/hobby clubs and charities.

Can anybody please confirm if we should be registered with the ICO and if not on what basis is the exemption?

Comment

Dear Jericho

The RMC almost certainly needs to be registered as a Data Controller with the ICO. If in doubt, call the ICO.

Comment

Thanks vmart. Phoned the ICO and spoke to the registration team. The guy reckoned our resident management company would be classed similarly to a housing association and we'd need to register if we had any electronic records. If everything was just on paper then we wouldn't. Tempted to delete my spreadsheet of resident names to save £40. Then again I'm sure we'd be some way behind the likes of Cambridge Analytica on the ICO hit list.

Comment

If you have a managing agent, you may fall under the umbrella of the agent's registration otherwise upgrade to a manual record or register,

Comment

Thanks eagle2 - we currently self-manage the RMC. Not sure I'd call moving from an Excel spreadsheet to a piece of A4 an "upgrade" but I note your point.

Comment

If you have ever had a power cut or your computer has crashed or it has had one of those infuriating updates which you cannot stop or Cortana has asked if you want help when you are in the middle of something and you have no need for assistance, you will know exactly what I mean

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Owning multiple falts
                  Sandy1986
                  In my flats one person owns 4 of the flats. I have been told that he still only gets one vote no matter how many he owns. Is this true and can you point me to the documentation behind it so I can back it up. This is not what I've been told....
                  26-06-2019, 19:59 PM
                • Reply to Owning multiple falts
                  josepha333
                  Hi,

My understanding is that if the resolution is decided on a showing of hands, i.e., those attending the meeting (GM) he gets one vote if in person, if a poll is called he will be entitled to 4 votes. He would also be entitled to have 4 proxy votes, again these could be one attendee or...
                  27-06-2019, 01:11 AM
                  Gordon999
                  At a directors meeting, each director can exercise one vote.

At a meeting of leaseholders or a consultation by post, the leaseholder of each flat can exercise one vote.
                  27-06-2019, 01:04 AM
                • Help Please...Example of Completed FTT Form
                  vmart
                  Hi, I just wondered if anyone has to hand (or can signpost me to copies online) an example of a completed 'Disputed service/admin charges' form used by the FTT for leaseholders, freeholders and the panel to complete. I have the form which does not appear to allow much space for comments so would be...
                  26-06-2019, 22:21 PM
                • Reply to Help Please...Example of Completed FTT Form
                  JK0
                  You'll be asked to submit a statement at a later date. The form is really just to tell the FTT what further questions to ask you.

However, make sure you put down on the form all the items you dispute. You can't add them later.
                  26-06-2019, 22:26 PM
                • Forming Recognised Tenants / Residents Association
                  Benzo
                  Hi all

Our block has recently achieved the RTM from a notoriously aggressive managing agent but the other block in our estate has not.

We'd like to form a residents association to ensure that both blocks are represented fairly in discussions with the RTMCo, the front block's...
                  22-06-2019, 09:45 AM
                • Reply to Forming Recognised Tenants / Residents Association
                  Gordon999
                  Residents Association for each block of flat at your estate can help to give "additional voice" by having two groups on your estate; one group each representing the leaseholders in their block.

Each group with having their own set of RA committee members and their leader/spokesman....
                  26-06-2019, 22:09 PM
                  leaseholder64
                  Maybe. The Articles of Association of your specific company.

It is specifically not the case for RTM companies.
                  26-06-2019, 20:26 PM
                • Leasehold Service Charges
                  Paulsen
                  I own a leasehold flat. There are only two flats and the other one comes with the freehold. We were in dispute over works and the managing agent did not issue service charge demands in accordance with my lease. It ended up in court, anyone in property disputes please demand it to be transferred to property...
                  26-06-2019, 18:55 PM
                • Reply to Forming Recognised Tenants / Residents Association
                  ram
                  No, not a bad idea, but preferably not call it a residents association as residents associations have no clout.
                  no meaning, no power, and usually no influence.
                  However, because there are two blocks, it may well be appropriate ( although no legal standing ) to differentiate the 2 blocks from
                  26-06-2019, 17:31 PM
                Working...
                X