Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• andybenw
    replied
    Ok if supplies. If the supply lines are from the meters these are likely demised. Remember this is a small converted house, not a purpose built block with risers etc.

Most old small conversions like this would have had 'supplies' in 17mm/25mm pvc. Which is fine, however nowadays it would be completed in armoured cable instead.

If we all took tradesmans advice on improvements we would all be many pounds poorer. Remember (or conversely you may not know) many modern domestic electricians are poorly trained 'domestic installers' who have not had a 4 year proper apprenticeship and instead have completed a 2-4 week course.

Leave a comment:

• ram
    replied
    electrician has said the supplies to the middle and top flats are old and not fit for purpose, and not that the interior wiring inside the flats are old.
    Why would the electrician go into the middle flat ?
    Surly he means supply lines from ground floor ?

Leave a comment:

• andybenw
    replied
    Unless the building was converted pre 1960's it is likely the wiring is PVC and is ok. There is no requirement to update old fuse boxes to modern consumer units. Electrical wiring is normally demised to the flats.

Leave a comment:

• Tipper
    replied
    The electrician is probably wanting to upgrade the consumer units to each flat to the latest electrical installation regs. It's a common ploy for getting more work. I was advised that this is not necessary assuming the supplies were installed to the regulations current at the time and so will be considered OK.

If you do decide to go ahead get 3 competitive tenders and choose the cheapest as all will be done to the same standard...allegedly!

Leave a comment:

• ram
    replied
    If the wiring is not within the flats - e.g. the power cables run from the ground up through the building ( as it must ) then it would be a service charge to ensure the "building" is safe", and wont catch fire if wires are inadvertently overloaded due to the age.

You have now been told of "bad wiring", so you must inform your block insurance company of the fact, so they can adjust their premiums, otherwise, come a fire due to bag wiring, that you know about, they will not pay out. And you are all homeless and then have to pay off the mortgage - instantly, as the collateral the loan was made against no longer exists if burnt down.

Leave a comment:

• PDW1964
    started a topic Electric supply in converted flats

Electric supply in converted flats

Hi everyone

I currently own 50% of the freehold of a house converted into 3 flats. The other 50% is owned by the leaseholder of the middle flat. My mother is the leaseholder of the GF flat and the top flat is owned privately by someone else. He is currently refurbishing his flat and claims that his electrician has told him that the supplies to the middle and top flats are old and not fit for purpose and that they need upgrading. His electrician has quoted £1500 for this and he is suggesting that it should come from the service charge fund and the cost be bourne by all 3 leaseholders. My mother can't really afford this and her supply seems fine as she lives in the GF flat where the original supply comes in. My suggestion is that this is an internal issue and the cost of any upgrade to wiring should be paid by the individual flats.
    I wonder if anyone has had experience of this and who may be in the right?
    Many thanks

Dan

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X