Window cleaning - who is responsible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Window cleaning - who is responsible

I own a flat in a block, it is leasehold. I sublet to a tenant. I believe the lease says that the management company are responsible for the external cleaning of the windows to my flat, and that I am responsible for the internal cleaning of the windows in my flat. I argue that the following point in the lease makes them responsible

Schedule 6 Management obligations of the lease and it reads as follows 4.6 Cleaning etc. Keeping the serviced areas and common parts; "clean and tidy and cleaning of the outside of the windows in the estate at such times as the management company shall reasonably consider it necessary or desirable to do so.

The management company have said the clause 4.6 referred to above is in regard to common parts and not individual owner's windows which are not communal and that the following clause in the same lease make me responsible

Schedule 4 Tenants obligations - Reads as follows 1.2 Repair, Decoration and cleansing The tenant shall clean the windows and glass in the premises at least once in every month. Has any body come across this issue before and how could I enforce the management company to perform the cleaning, assuming I can? The windows is at a height which I cannot reach, not even with a ladder.

What is the definition of "serviced areas" in the lease?

They sound different to "common parts" as there's an reference to serviced areas and common parts.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Common parts wouldnt mean individuals flats.

So it comes down to what serviced areas means.

Personally Id agree with management company... 1.2 clearly says you must clean the windows, although you could argue that only means the inside.

If you believe the MC should so the work simply employ a cleaner, send the MC the the bill and sue when they dont pay.
      Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

Hi, funny old caper leasehold. Before RTM our external windows were never cleaned on the service charge even though, unlike your lease, ours said in simple English "Clean the external windows of all flats every four weeks" in the service charge schedule. No SC cleaning for 30 years! The rain washed the windows. Never short of the stuff.

When we got RTM, some flats mithered that all the windows should be cleaned every month on the SC as the lease said. Had us cornered. So we did. The unavoidable cost for each flat miffed those mithering because obviously all flats paid the same because all flats had their windows cleaned - maybe they thought Santa would pay?

Given the ambiguous wording in your lease my first thought would be, are there any windows in the communal parts? If not, contra proferentem could hardly be taken as intending cleaning non-existent windows. No excuse for claiming it was an off-the-shelf contract.

Second thought would be, is the block high-rise more than ground floor and first floor? Hardly reasonable to have intended every lessee climb cherry pickers to clean their outside windows.

On the other hand, if your block is low-rise within say two stories and you could pay a local bloke with a ladder and a wet shammy or one of those more common hose and long pole thingies, you could have your own windows cleaned when you liked and at least control the cost and timing.

Pays to be careful what you wish for in this caper.

Edit: As your lease uses the word verb "clean" twice in the same sentence, I'd personally say you have some grounds to argue the clause, contra proferentem, refers to two separate service charge actions: (1) Keep the common parts clean and tidy as one act, and (2) clean the windows in the estate as a separate act. If your flat is not within the estate then either you have the wrong lease, the wrong agent, or a lease reader at the 'professional' agents who doesn't understand commas are strangers to lease draughtsfolk.
        Do not read my offerings, based purely on my research or experience as a lessee, as legal advice. If you need legal advice please see a solicitor.

Comment

Originally posted by t_trader View Post
          The windows is at a height which I cannot reach, not even with a ladder.
          Sounds like a job for a magnetic window cleaner?
          https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...l_2aqswqim8z_b

Comment

Who owns the windows? are they demised to the flat or the freeholder?

Comment

Most windows get cleaned when there is heavy rain in stormy weather and for most rental flats , the majority of rental tenants don't care if the windows are cleaned or not.

For compliance to Safety Requirements , most window cleaners will not work on ladder higher than first floor windows .

Comment

I can only imagine the tenant is moaning the outside of the windows need cleaning. I can't think of any other reason for the op post. If so, tell the tenant what Gordon999 just said.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
                  by Flatman78
                  Thanks Gordon999

You can see from above reply to Macromia that's your comment wouldn't be relevant to me. there is no managing agent. It's just me (FH) and LH in upstairs flat.
                  Thanks for taking time to reply though....
                  23-05-2022, 20:29 PM
                • S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
                  by Flatman78
                  Hi LZ Community

Just wondering if anyone's had/having any issues with S20 and allowing leaseholder 30 days to review estimates, raise concerns etc.

Building material prices have fluctuated massively since covid and brexit.
                  with a combination of Brexit, impact from russia/ukraine...
                  23-05-2022, 14:42 PM
                • Reply to S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
                  by Flatman78
                  Thanks Macromia, I'm hoping not to have to request quotes to include extra 'contingency' as I know some building materials literally jumped by up to 80% pretty much overnight and so I / we could end up paying a hell of a lot more than we have to go with a 'protective' quote.

It's only me...
                  23-05-2022, 20:27 PM
                • RTM Hand Over Issues
                  by martin15
                  RTM handing over issues

Our RTM companies comprise 4 blocks of 6 identical two bedroom flats and each block is registered at Companies House as a separate company.
                  Following the acquisition date, it was discovered the former directors ignored legal advice and changed property management companies...
                  23-05-2022, 19:36 PM
                • Reply to RTM Hand Over Issues
                  by ash72
                  You could sue the other company for the money owed.
                  23-05-2022, 19:48 PM
                • Reply to RTM Hand Over Issues
                  by Hudson01
                  I am clearly no expert but i think this statement from the all knowing WWW appears to fit the bill for what has happened to you.................

'' Fraud can be broadly defined as the deliberate use of deception or dishonesty to disadvantage or cause loss (usually financial) to another...
                  23-05-2022, 19:48 PM
                • Reply to Old managing agents accounts
                  by Gordon999
                  You could show the last service charge demanded by previous managing agent . There should be a final summary of the service charge account.to show the unspent funds.
                  23-05-2022, 18:26 PM
                • Old managing agents accounts
                  by jazzythumper
                  Since obtaining the RTM and changing the managing agent, we have never been given full accounts / receipts for the previous year(s). We believe that as the old freeholder and leaser holder of one of the flats were represented by the same solicitor that prior to the sale of the freehold, we were subsidising...
                  20-05-2022, 11:21 AM
                • Reply to Building works & S20 process
                  by Macromia
                  Good questions.
                  The fact that the cost of work means that Section 20 consultation is required doesn't necessarily mean that it is major work that will require a project manager and, although most leases will contain clauses that allow the cost of project management to be recovered from leaseholders,...
                  23-05-2022, 18:23 PM
                • Building works & S20 process
                  by RichA
                  Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance...
                  21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
                Working...
                X