Implied covenants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrSoffit View Post
    Can I step back a smidge: (1) Are you a member of the company? (2) If you have an RMC that owns the freehold, was it via collective enfranchisement and some flats didn't join in? Or did/do all 'Owners of a House" get a share interest in the freehold company on assignment of their lease? (3) Is there a different class of share for some reason?
    Hi again Mr Soffit

(1) Yes
    (2) Each leaseholder of houses (not flats) has a share and is required to have. That is situation from when leases were granted.
    (3) No.

Shareholders' rights depend on the rights attached to their shares under the company's articles of association. If there aren't different classes of shares and if every lessee is automatically a shareholder, the company must give all shareholders in the same class the same rights as I understand it, so how/when did some company members get to vary their leases to more 'friendly' clauses and block other members having the same right to do this? How does the company make decisions? Who are its directors?
    Rights of shareholders and leaseholders are legally distinct. I suggest in RMC's one often gets a group attempting to manage on the basis of "what the majority want" even if it ignores the rights of a leaseholder. ARMA express it correctly:

ARMA Advice Note “Understanding Residents’ Management Companies”

“Your rights as a leaseholder are not restricted if you’re also a member of an RMC.”

“An RMC board should never, and has no legal right to, take a decision that’s against the terms of the leases for the block — even if there’s complete unanimity. No managing agent should ever advise this either.”

The varied to more " friendly clauses" occurred when the leases were first issued and i believe, although i could not be certain, that a lease with more "friendly clauses" was dated/issued to the original leaseholder at an earlier date than the date when my lease was issued to the original leaseholder of my property.

Comment

An RMC can't act against the lease, but if all the shareholders in a freeholding RMC agree to vary the lease that's not the same as acting against it. If they don't then it needs a tribunal application.

As I understand these setups the RMC and its articles and lessee share class kick in after all the leases are assigned by the developer who then bows out of control? Or along those lines - which would suggest, as you think, that the RMC did not create the different leases. I guess this explains why the one with a better lease never saw a reason to agree to a unanimous shareholder vote to grant variations to the rest to bring them all into line? But I'm confused why if only one house has the better lease, you say 'some' shareholders did major alterations and are making it difficult for others? Is the 'luckier' leaseholder a director?

On non-lawyer reading of the clause in post #3 it binds a new lessee to the lessee obligations in that lease, but contradicts itself by binding all other owners of houses to the same stipulations despite there being different lessee clauses in one lease. It could be the whole thing was a bodge at drafting stage of one lease as it was sold. Not an RMC shareholder myself - just a humble RTM company member.

At least we've cleared the fog better for anyone who might answer the question whether the 'binding' clause could be a ground for an F-tT application to gain the same stipulations. I've explained why I can't have that confidence. But one objector isn't fatal to a tribunal application to vary the lease if that is the only way to bring everything into line.

One quick answer regarding consents to alterations could be to stand as a director with anyone else being held back. You say there are only 14 shareholders. Or is the situation now too broken to get elected?
      Do not read my offerings, based purely on my research or experience as a lessee, as legal advice. If you need legal advice please see a solicitor.

Comment

An RMC can't act against the lease, but if all the shareholders in a freeholding RMC agree to vary the lease that's not the same as acting against it. If they don't then it needs a tribunal application..
        I agree as to the outcome, I thought it was if EACH and ALL leaseholders agreed to the deed of variation it kicked in. ie Unanimous support but not via the shareholders in the RMC rather by leaseholders agreeing. If it was via the RMC after a unanimous vote then there is always the danger that the Directors "redefine the issue" when implementing it.

As I understand these setups the RMC and its articles and lessee share class kick in after all the leases are assigned by the developer who then bows out of control? Or along those lines - which would suggest, as you think, that the RMC did not create the different leases. I guess this explains why those with better leases never saw a reason to agree to a unanimous shareholder vote to grant variations to the rest to bring them all into line.
        if i recall in this case there were two companies, one the freehold company the other the management company. I think the developer had a "controlling share" in the management company until after the last property was sold. Then the freehold company and the management company were combined/merged, i would have to dig out old papers to get the exact answer.

On non-lawyer reading of the clause in post #3 it binds a new lessee to the lessee obligations in that lease, but contradicts itself by binding all other owners of houses to the same stipulations despite there being different lessee clauses in different leases. It could be the whole thing was a bodge at drafting stage of new leases as they were sold. Unless somebody knows if this is common - not an RMC shareholder myself - just a humble RTM company member.
        I suspect it was a clever solicitor for one of the purchasers, who managed to negotiate some better covenants.

At least we've cleared the fog better for anyone who might answer the question whether the 'binding' clause could be a ground for an F-tT application to gain the same stipulations. I've explained why I can't have that confidence.
        Thanks Mr Soffit for your time and patience it is not always easy to set out the detail and nuances of these issues.

As well as what you describe as the binding clause there is my original question as to whether there is any general "obligation that is implied" for the leases to be on similar terms.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Building works & S20 process
          by RichA
          Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance...
          21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
        • Reply to Building works & S20 process
          by scot22
          It is relatively simple to administer process. However, definitely engage professional to define necessary work and project manage.

If I can, anybody can.
          21-05-2022, 20:19 PM
        • collective enfranchisement
          by flyingfreehold
          Does a leaseholder have to be a registered proprietor to join a collective? Or is it sufficient for her/his/it to be a transferee whose interest is not yet registered?
          21-05-2022, 18:51 PM
        • Reply to collective enfranchisement
          by Tipper
          Ask lease-advice.org
          21-05-2022, 18:59 PM
        • Reply to Levy
          by scot22
          Thanks Gordon. There was no info other than amount and invoice which explained nothing !
          21-05-2022, 17:16 PM
        • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
          by Macromia
          They are correct that the purchase of the freehold has no relevance (although it would allow the three of you to alter the leases if you are all in agreement).

Unless you alter the leases you continue to split service charge costs according to what the terms of your leases say - sharing...
          21-05-2022, 17:14 PM
        • Changes to lease wording
          by bigalxyz
          In the process of buying freehold for our building. 9 participants (from 11 flats).

Our solicitor will extend leases to 999 years for an additional fee if we want to. She has asked, as part of that extension process:

“Are there any amendments that you are seeking to make...
          14-05-2022, 12:27 PM
        • Reply to Changes to lease wording
          by Lawcruncher
          If the leases are going to be for 999 years there is not a lot of point imposing a restriction in such terms. It is also open to interpretation. You have to decide first if you are going to allow subletting at all. That has to depend on what people want. If any owner already sublets then you cannot...
          21-05-2022, 17:09 PM
        • Reply to Levy
          by Macromia
          ...And it still going to depend on what it is for (and on what your lease allows to be charged for, and when.

Service charge demands have to include details such as a service address for the freeholder, and have to be accompanied by an appropriate copy of 'leaseholders rights and responsibilities',...
          21-05-2022, 16:53 PM
        • Reply to Changes to lease wording
          by Lawcruncher
          The solicitor has said: "Are there any amendments that you are seeking to make to the leases once you have acquired the freehold? Any important amendments should be detailed in the PA so that the parties know they are bound to comply later on. Please do let me know your thoughts." That is...
          21-05-2022, 16:49 PM
        Working...
        X