Can I refuse my own managing agent access to my flat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I refuse my own managing agent access to my flat?

I own a leasehold flat in a block of 18 flats. All of the leaseholders also own an equal share of the freehold of the building.

I have had a longstanding problem where there has been leak from my balcony into the flat below me. As far as I am aware that this leak has been ongoing for at least 10 years and several attempts had been made to locate and repair the fault. Late last year the cause of the leak was finally identified, a report was prepared, a quote of £1,800 accepted and the work was authorised in January 2016. At this point one of the members of our residents board fell out with the managing agent. He cancelled the authorisation and another agent was appointed.

After many months I have finally got hold of the new managing agent and asked him to authorise the repair. He has stated that he wants to get another builder to have look at it and provide a quote. I have no problem with this and said that that was fine. When trying to arrange the quote he said that as he was responsible for the building both he and the board member would have to attend with the builder. I advised that I had no problem allowing the builder access but would not grant permission of him (he has no relevant qualifications) or my neighbour (the residents board member) access. He has said that unless I allow them both access he will not organise the builder. I should point out that my problem with the managing agent is entirely personal. Shortly after taking over the management he was incredibly rude to my wife, not realising that we owned the flat, and are not tennants. I gave him a bit of a rollocking over this and his insistence on access does feel like payback (he knows that it will infuriate my wife).

Can he do this?

I have a freehold myself.
    We have had problem with birds, and the Managing Agent attended there while 3 pest control company visited to provide soon after a quote.
    I guess (unfortunately for your wife) that is quite standard.
    Said that, there is no justification in being rude, to the longlease holder or tenants or no ones.

Comment

You can refuse to let in named persons if you wish, and the agent cannot insist that the repairs will not take place if that names person is not allowed in.
      Tell the agents that you will sue them for not maintaining the propery under the terms of the lease if they do not send tradesmen round to quote.

However, I am in the possition of running an in house management, and I need to see for myself what the problems are, specialy if it has been ongoing for 10 years.

I have to produce the service / maintenence schedules, so I HAVE to know the history of the place, and to have seen the problems first hand.
      The freeholder, or a representative of the freeholder is normaly allowed to gain access to your flat, as normaly stated in the lease ( with or without workmen ) so you can't realy object if the The freeholder, or a representative requires to inspect the problems first hand.

If I had to only talk to a builder to get information on a problem, then I would not be able to "see" the problem, and not be able to do my job.
      I have to see the problem, and also look to see if any other anomilies in and around the balcony that may require investigation in future, and to see if your problem will occur on other balconies

Never rely on a builder to do this investigation for you.Always go with the builder to the flat concerned, as that is the only waqy to get a true picture of problems.

Let the memeber in with the builder.

Comment

For once I agree with Ram. Tradesmen are notoriously poor at diagnosing defects. They will simply do what they are told to do. Often they will do a good job of what they are asked but due to improper diagnosis the problem remains.

Is there someone else in the management company who could attend as a bit of a compromise? Or one of the directors?

Comment

The rights and wrongs of this are not worth arguing over. Let them in.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
            The rights and wrongs of this are not worth arguing over. Let them in.
            Probably sound advice. Arrange a time for when your wife is out.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
              by Lorimer
              There isn't much case law on this but even when an RTM is in place and it is the RTM that is responsible for dealing with consents, I believe the freeholder CAN charge a reasonable admin fee simply for the freeholder's time in reviewing the consent application. This is because the RTM company cannot...
              12-08-2020, 20:33 PM
            • RTM - Admin Fees Charged by Freeholder
              by chris1544
              We have RTM in place for our two flat building. Recently the other leaseholder put in a request to the RTM company to install an air vent. I duly wrote to the freeholder, notifying them of our intention to grant approval for the works, giving them the statutory 30 days notice.

They have...
              12-08-2020, 11:04 AM
            • Reply to Late ground rent payment charge & legal fees no warnings
              by Stew
              sounds like a major win
              12-08-2020, 20:22 PM
            • Late ground rent payment charge & legal fees no warnings
              by KingstonBee
              Wonder if you can help... This week I have received a Court Claim form pack with what seems to include a ‘particulars of claim’ and ‘lease’ for ‘outstanding arrears of Ground rent and insurance’.

Now this is a huge shock as I’ve not received any letters at all, no emails or phone...
              10-06-2020, 20:13 PM
            • Reply to Can I let this freehold indefinately ?
              by ChrisDennison
              Well but who’s to judge that intention? If I as the freeholder only want women, kids and one armed pirates in my block of flats and therefore put a restriction of use to that extent in the lease isn’t that my pretty unambiguous intention?

Well put. I have a property with...
              12-08-2020, 19:14 PM
            • Can I let this freehold indefinately ?
              by Boab
              Is there any reason why I cannot let a freehold flat on a two flat maisonette where there are two freeholders with a deed of covenant between the two to cover such issues as maintaining the property? There appears to be nothing in the covenant restricting renting my property out and it’s been done...
              10-08-2020, 06:12 AM
            • Reply to Late ground rent payment charge & legal fees no warnings
              by KingstonBee
              FYI - I pressed and stated facts and quoted the law etc and they eventually backed down... Mega Chuffed. Didn’t even have to pay any of the legal fees or additional costs. It helps that in the lease as mentioned they had to email or send mail via recorded delivery... Their legal team agreed and dropped...
              12-08-2020, 19:00 PM
            • EGM via Zoom breach of GDPR
              by Stacker
              Our directors refuse to call meeting and now are using some government quote Corporate Insolvency and Govt Act 2020 Section 37 and Schedule 14 of the Act..basically the articles don't say we can hold electronic meetings so can they be held via zoom?
              12-08-2020, 17:53 PM
            • Variation of lease
              by scampicat
              I own a flat with a lease of 125 years starting from 2012. The ground rent is at present £150 pa, but increases as follows every ten years: £225... .£337.50.... 506.25.... 759.38.... 1139.06.... 1708.59.... 2562.89 ....3844.34. There are no more increases after eighty years. I am considering a variation...
              25-02-2020, 08:57 AM
            • Reply to Variation of lease
              by Gordon999
              Many flats with ground rent increasing every 10 years are not able to get a mortgage loan . Taylor Wimpey have set a side £130 Mil for correcting the ground rent demands in their leases . If your flat was built by this company, you should contact the company for correction of the lease.
              12-08-2020, 17:41 PM
            Working...
            X