Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rats in Loft Area - landlord wants a new roof - help please

Hi
    There are rats in the loft area of a block of 4 flats. The landlord says that the roof needs repairing and needs replacing at some point in future. They have now decided to replace the roof and seek dispensation under emergency procedures because of the rats.
    I understand that the rats have not caused the broken roof therefore the roof replacement cannot be an emergency - where do we stand?
    The roof could have been repaired and the rats baited for much less than £12000
    Not happy - please help
    Will they get dispensation

How do the other 3 leaseholders feel about it?. You could instruct a surveyor between you to carry out an inspection of the roof and report his findings and then you can use this against the freeholder and as evidence if you need to go to the ftt.

So get a survey done and if it does show you are correct and the roof can be repaired rather than requiring a new one then inform the landlord of this andthat you will be taking him to the ftt to decide.

Comment

Thanks, there is one other leaseholder and 2 tenants.
      We will challenge but before are they within their rights to claim an emergency?
      Surely dispensation will not be granted on rats

Comment

You would think not, but he is free to try and the ftt will decide on the merits of his case and you are free to contest it so a surveyors report backing you up will help your case, and the threat of it may slow the freeholder down a bit and start looking at other alternatives.

A quote from rentokill or other exterminator and their opinion on the matter probably wouldnt hurt either

I have not personally been involved with s20 dispensations but i would imagine the freeholder or the ftt would have to write to all leaseholders regarding what is proposed and giving you the opportunity to respond.

Comment

madmaxwell,

Thank you very much

Comment

Replacing the roof because of a rat infestation seems odd. The rats won't be living there full time. They will be coming and going. I grew up in a badly maintained bungalow in the country, so I know a bit about rats. They like to have a warm, dry space (your loft) for breeding, but will be going out to find food. They may be accessing the drains, so I'd want to look into that before thinking about replacing the roof. If the roof is replaced before the food and access problems are addressed, it won't take the rats long to get back to their favourite habitat.

Do you know anyone with a small, fighty terrier that could be put up into the loft to hunt the rats?

You need two experts to survey your building:
            1. A chartered surveyor, to tell you exactly what physical defects there are;
            2. A pest controller to advise on rat control.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• collective enfranchisement
              by flyingfreehold
              Does a leaseholder have to be a registered proprietor to join a collective? Or is it sufficient for her/his/it to be a transferee whose interest is not yet registered?
              21-05-2022, 18:51 PM
            • Reply to collective enfranchisement
              by flyingfreehold
              at risk of answering my own question, the leaseholder has to prove title which is a bit difficult if not registered........
              21-05-2022, 21:23 PM
            • Building works & S20 process
              by RichA
              Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance...
              21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
            • Reply to Building works & S20 process
              by scot22
              It is relatively simple to administer process. However, definitely engage professional to define necessary work and project manage.

If I can, anybody can.
              21-05-2022, 20:19 PM
            • Reply to collective enfranchisement
              by Tipper
              Ask lease-advice.org
              21-05-2022, 18:59 PM
            • Reply to Levy
              by scot22
              Thanks Gordon. There was no info other than amount and invoice which explained nothing !
              21-05-2022, 17:16 PM
            • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
              by Macromia
              They are correct that the purchase of the freehold has no relevance (although it would allow the three of you to alter the leases if you are all in agreement).

Unless you alter the leases you continue to split service charge costs according to what the terms of your leases say - sharing...
              21-05-2022, 17:14 PM
            • Changes to lease wording
              by bigalxyz
              In the process of buying freehold for our building. 9 participants (from 11 flats).

Our solicitor will extend leases to 999 years for an additional fee if we want to. She has asked, as part of that extension process:

“Are there any amendments that you are seeking to make...
              14-05-2022, 12:27 PM
            • Reply to Changes to lease wording
              by Lawcruncher
              If the leases are going to be for 999 years there is not a lot of point imposing a restriction in such terms. It is also open to interpretation. You have to decide first if you are going to allow subletting at all. That has to depend on what people want. If any owner already sublets then you cannot...
              21-05-2022, 17:09 PM
            • Reply to Levy
              by Macromia
              ...And it still going to depend on what it is for (and on what your lease allows to be charged for, and when.

Service charge demands have to include details such as a service address for the freeholder, and have to be accompanied by an appropriate copy of 'leaseholders rights and responsibilities',...
              21-05-2022, 16:53 PM
            Working...
            X