Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New lease extension

Hi guys,
    Help, I brought a flat originally I believe it was a large studio flat, there was a stud wall put up to create a bedroom, this was done not by the previous owner but the one before, the freehold company owns all the flats/maisonettes in the area, all identical and everyone that has been put up for sale has done the same and all the agents floor plans show this.
    I have enquired about an extension to the lease and have been told that as my flat is at present in a refused rent schedule because of a breach of covenant the freeholder will not acknowledge my request for an extension.

Any help please???

Are they refusing service charges as well? Did your solicitor not draw your attention to this when you bought?
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

I am not sure the FH can refuse a statutory lease extension.

When I had a leaseholder in breach of covenant, I asked my solicitor if I could refuse a future statutory lease extension request and was advised I couldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
        Are they refusing service charges as well? Did your solicitor not draw your attention to this when you bought?
        They actually forgot to charge me for 6 months so I rang them and they realised their mistake and now I pay DD, they was more concern at purchase regarding a satellite dish which I had to prove I had removed even though I hadn't put it up!

Comment

Oh, well see if anyone else comes along to confirm my views:

Assuming it's not a RTM company demanding the service charges rather than the freeholder, it seems to me that they have waived the breach by acting as if the lease is continuing. If they don't respond to your request for a new lease, I believe that after a certain period the notice is deemed to be accepted.
          To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to AGM cancelled.
            by eagle2
            Any meeting which you decide to hold will be an informal meeting only, you do need to follow the correct procedure if you wish to hold a valid meeting,

The Articles should state whether or not directors need to declare conflicts of interest and whether or not they are entitled to vote on...
            26-01-2022, 13:30 PM
          • AGM cancelled.
            by Grumio
            Is this legal?

A bit of background, we currently have three directors, we are allowed to have up to a maximum of eight directors according to the articles of association. We are all leaseholders. Last summer the three directors decided to hire a managing agent who is now in charge of the...
            26-01-2022, 00:46 AM
            by Grumio
            It is both a managing agent and a residence Association. But we want to go back to managing the block ourselves.

Thanks for the reply, yes invitations have been sent to all our members. And I agree, they should not cancel the AGM, especially when they haven’t got a plausible reason to...
            26-01-2022, 12:12 PM
          • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
            by sgclacy
            Doubling every 25 years is simply a guess as to what inflation may be, if inflation of the current levels ( about 6% ) was to continue the real value of the rent would fall by 77% and doubling would not address the enormous damage done by inflation. However, if inflation was less than 2.81% per annum...
            26-01-2022, 11:57 AM
          • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
            by Section20z
            You are clearly using the informal route and can thus negotiate whatever terms you like.
            freeholder will want to retain some ground rent but avoid the doubling clause, maybe suggest small fixed rises every ten years....
            26-01-2022, 10:40 AM
          • Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
            by Santa Fe
            Hello. I own a flat in a block of four. The new owner of the smallest flat is disputing their contribution to service charges based on floor size. All four flats have historically paid 25% each, but of the four leases only mine states that I pay 25%. I have spoken with a solicitor about this and he...
            24-01-2022, 22:55 PM
          • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
            by Section20z
            Quite, there is also the question here of who the actual freeholder is and whether the whole thing is any concern of the OP who only ever need pay 25% !!...
            26-01-2022, 10:25 AM
            by eagle2
            Yes, I am confused too. If there is a Residents Association, it is required to comply with its constitution.

There seems to be a Company involved as well. Whether or not it is required to hold an AGM depends on its Articles, AGMs can be cancelled for various reasons, lockdowns are an example,...
            26-01-2022, 10:19 AM
          • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
            by eagle2
            I think that we have found 3 possible alternatives already and no doubt we could find more, As Section20z says it is very rare for a court or a tribunal to intervene, The lease appears to allow the freeholder (?) to decide what is fair and reasonable and it has decided that an equal share is reasonable,...
            26-01-2022, 10:01 AM
            by fos333
            Is this a Residence Association or Residents Management Company?

Had invitations to the AGM been sent out to all members? If invitations had been issued then no the AGM should not have been cancelled.

If the 2 directors are "good friends of the managing agent" they...
            26-01-2022, 10:00 AM
          Working...
          X