Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Own share of FH can't get other party to extend leases

Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma and have been reading of these forums for a while and was hoping someone might be able to offer me some guidance.

I'm in the process of selling my maisonette flat which I own a share of a literal freehold, with the other flat upstairs (so there is no management company or declaration of trust) My lease however is "only" 65 years and the buyer's mortgage lender is insisting on at least a 75 year lease. However the other freeholder has now decided to stop answering my calls so it seems I'm totally reliant on them agreeing to sign the surrender and re-grant new leases with a 999 year extension.

What options are open to me? Can I for example extend just only my own lease without their consent to the required 999 years?
    Is there an Act I can use to apply for a court order to compel them to extend the lease? (Although litigation is highly undesired).

Any help would be much appreciated as I think about to lose my buyer and can't afford to have this take any longer as I'm due to complete on my own flat I'm buying in just over a month's time.

Is the lease to the other flat the same length? If so its really in their interest to extend too.

If not are they holding out for money? Have they indicated why they won't sign?

Unfortunately you are at their mercy as you want to sell quickly.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
      by Santa Fe
      Hello. I own a flat in a block of four. The new owner of the smallest flat is disputing their contribution to service charges based on floor size. All four flats have historically paid 25% each, but of the four leases only mine states that I pay 25%. I have spoken with a solicitor about this and he...
      24-01-2022, 22:55 PM
    • Reply to Service charges according to floorspace vs lease stipulation
      by Lawcruncher
      Whether the complaining owner goes to a tribunal or a court, I think that on any assessment a basement bedsit paying the same as a two bedroom flat is not "fair and reasonable". You do not really want to be getting into tribunals or the like. I suggest you propose that the two bedroom flats...
      26-01-2022, 09:01 AM
    • AGM cancelled.
      by Grumio
      Is this legal?

A bit of background, we currently have three directors, we are allowed to have up to a maximum of eight directors according to the articles of association. We are all leaseholders. Last summer the three directors decided to hire a managing agent who is now in charge of the...
      26-01-2022, 00:46 AM
    • Reply to AGM cancelled.
      by Andrea Cunningham
      Call an EGM. Make sure you give proper notice and that it is legal (download a boilerplate notice off the internet). In that EGM you can vote new directors in, or even vote the old directors out.
      26-01-2022, 07:14 AM
    • Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
      by SouthernDave
      Has anyone had dealing with doubling ground rents?
      i have just asked for a quote for a lease extension and they are proposing new ground rent terms of a doubling ground rent every 25 years. My commercial guy has said some lenders don't like these which may reduce the value of the property of i...
      25-01-2022, 22:53 PM
    • What can I do about my right of way.
      by Trevor62
      I live in the upper flat of a maisonette, I have a right of way that goes around the back of the building from the side entrance, there are only two flats in the building.

Anyway for years there has been a gate with a lock to go through the right of way, now for the past year the flat has...
      23-01-2022, 23:01 PM
    • Reply to What can I do about my right of way.
      by Trevor62

This is the ROW as it is in the land registry.

Can I ask another question?

As you can read it says Boundary determined by edge of pavings. Before the other party moved out they built a fence along the boundary though they build it on my side of the...
      25-01-2022, 20:58 PM
    • Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
      by Andrea Cunningham
      The estate I live on has 2 blocks. All the leaseholders are members of the company which owns the freehold and manages the block ("Share of freehold").

Suppose one of the 2 blocks decides to go it alone - so in other words gain the freehold from a company they are already a member...
      04-10-2021, 12:07 PM
    • Reply to Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
      by Andrea Cunningham
      As I said right at the beginning, there are some very sound reasons to do this which I wasn't going to go into. Suffice it to say that the current situation is one where the building I live in suffers under the tyranny of the majority of the larger building. So what is being sought is genuine control...
      25-01-2022, 20:24 PM
    • Reply to Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
      by Andrea Cunningham
      There is already no ground rent collected - so as I understand it the value of the freehold might be quite low anyway.

If this is all done by negotiation then it is a moot point regardless, and it brings me back to what I was actually asking about, which is how to fairly and equitably split...
      25-01-2022, 20:10 PM
    Working...
    X