Is insulation part of the roof?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is insulation part of the roof?

As I am new to this whole leasehold arena, I have yet another question...

Is roof insulation to be included as part of the roof?

Freeholder and I share the maintenance and repair of roof 50/50. I own the maisonette which includes an attic room, so I am first to experience any roofing issues, i.e leaks. He is solely on the ground floor.

We are having some roofing done, and this has raised the issue of insulation, being way below current building regs. I have been advised that it may have to be upgraded. We may be having the whole roof done, or in any event, it will be more than 25%.

There is no specific mention to insulation, but the roof structure is included. I do not have the lease in front of me, so cannot provide the clause where it is covered right now.

There is no service charge other than insurance, so we will each find our 50%, as and when.

Anybody out there with experience of this?

Cheers

the insulation laid in the roof space is not part of the sloping roof tile structure . The insulation material comes as rolls of pricky fibreglass insulation and is laid over the plaster board ceiling of top floor to stop heat loss escaping from the flat below. Previously a layer 3-4 inches thick was laid by the builder but now is considered not adequate. You may find some electricity firms offer thicker insulation up to 10 inches thick at discount price to comply to government energy saving requirements.

Take a walk round B&Q or Wickes Warehouse. The insulation rolls are sold in different widths to fit between the joists.

Comment

It is the application of building regulations relating to roofing that specify insulation required when reroofing over 50 percent(I think) of a roof. Therefore such insulation is inevitably part of the roof for maintenance purposes as without it the roofer cannot complete the job to building regulation standards.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Thank you very much.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to on -going leaks
            by JackBluebird
            ah i understand, sorry for confusion. As far as I'm aware, there is absolutely no reason to let anyone representing another leaseholder into your apartment. are you obliged to? no.... will your claim hurt if you dont? almost certinaly not... As i understand it she is essentially challenging the survey...
            19-05-2022, 00:17 AM
          • on -going leaks
            by finest1
            Hi All,

The flat upstair has been leaking for some years. The ceiling soon partially collapsed stopping me fro m letting the flat. The leaseholder upstairs kept claiming that the leak was not coming from her flat despite sending them photos of her wet subfloor. I sent a letter claiming...
            18-05-2022, 17:09 PM
            by finest1
            Thank you for your response. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear but the freeholder has already sent a surveyor and they are satisfied that the leak has been caused from upstairs.

It's the leaseholder who wants to send their own surveyor or architect, and has refused to allow their insurance...
            18-05-2022, 19:52 PM
          • Levy
            by scot22
            What details must be given in an invoice for a levy ?
            18-05-2022, 17:43 PM
          • Reply to Levy
            by scot22
            Thanks for reply but doesn't really matter. Issue is what must leaseholders be told about reason and how it is being spent.
            18-05-2022, 19:45 PM
          • Reply to Levy
            by Tipper
            Can you expand...levy for what?
            18-05-2022, 19:12 PM
            by JackBluebird
            On one hand people may argue, the freeholder has rights to access and assess the property in accordance with the lease whenever it is reasonable or essential to do so. However if you initiate the disrepair protocol you will have much more leverage, but it is not for bluffing...

18-05-2022, 18:17 PM
          • Reply to Insurance
            by jazzythumper
            I’ve managed to get the refund from the previous insurers, which is good, over £1,000 that we wouldn’t have had otherwise in our funds.
            18-05-2022, 15:51 PM
          • Insurance
            by jazzythumper
            When the freehold of our building was sold, the old freeholder cancelled the buildings insurance which we had paid for in advance through our service charge.

A new policy was taken out by the new freeholder. A refund for the previous policy has been given to the previous freeholder but...
            03-04-2022, 20:24 PM
          • Breaches of Model Articles
            by Starlane
            ram Our articles require a quorum for board and for shareholder meetings. It has come to light after the event that a director has called a meeting on their own and appointed another director, the meeting was inquorate and no members were made aware that this was going on, additionally no meeting has...
            06-05-2022, 16:02 PM
          Working...
          X