Mould/damp issues in first floor flat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carine, if tenant is drying washing anywhere in the flat, you will have condensation in your wardrobe.

How about just removing the doors, so they can't be shut?
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

The inside of the wardrobe doesn't look that great unfortunately so the doors hide a lot.
      The wardrobe takes the whole wall and goes all the way to the ceiling so yes no doors would make a difference.

Comment

You mentioned alu windows that suffer from condensation, and that you are going to replace them. Been there - done that.

This is going to make your problems worse, the condensation on the windows will now find somewhere colder to settle.

I have had success by using passivator vents (that is a normal vent with some wadding inside, no draughts, so tenants do not block it up, and moisture can get out. Then a fan in the attic to push dry air into the house, I have it set up to slightly warm the air coming in so that the tenant does not turn it off.

Cost a few hundred to install, a hundred a year to run.

They do similar vent systems for flats.

Comment

paulamis,

Positive Ventilation has had good reviews, and bad reviews. In my flat it was useless due to the layout. Even with an extractor in a single room you need to position it correctly to avoid dead spots, with PIV for a whole flat you can be peeing in tbe wind if the layouts not suitable.

Comment

paulamis,

The new U-PVC windows will have trickle vents. If these are constantly open, will it not help?

I'll look into passivator vents. The problem with those is you need an extract. I do have one where the boiler flue used to be but doubt I would get permission to create another one in the wall. There is one flat above mind so no loft space.

Wouldn't insulating the cold wall help my case?

Comment

with regards to drilling through the wall to see if the brickwork is wet, would you recommend then taking a reading with a damp meter?

Comment

Originally posted by Carine View Post
                with regards to drilling through the wall to see if the brickwork is wet, would you recommend then taking a reading with a damp meter?
                No, what happens is the surveyor removes the dust from the internal of the brick and then places a weighed sample in a moisture tester. They won't do it unless asked as typically people don't like holes drilled in their walls. (Obviously this makes it a no go for surveys where you are not the owner.)

Damp meters don't actually measure damp but conductivity. They read salts as damp(typically chimney breasts), they read remnants of lead paint as damp (in victorian properties).

But they are quick and easy for a surveyor when completing a homebuyers as they just recommend further surveys anyway. And obviously they will pick up condensation as damp, which is ideal for a chemical dpc salesman who will show the meter in the red whilst diagnosing rising damp and recommending a chemical dpc. They're only ideal for what they were designed for which is testing wood.

Drilling/testing is good for conclusively proving condensation or actual penetrative damp.

Comment

Originally posted by Carine View Post
                  paulamis,

The new U-PVC windows will have trickle vents. If these are constantly open, will it not help?

I'll look into passivator vents. The problem with those is you need an extract. I do have one where the boiler flue used to be but doubt I would get permission to create another one in the wall. There is one flat above mind so no loft space.

Wouldn't insulating the cold wall help my case?
                  Vents only work when tenants open them, mine tend to shut any vent and tape over those that will not shut, you just have to work with them, they want to minimize heating bills and if it costs you...

I tried insulating walls first, insulated drylining helped a bit, plasterboard backed with foam insulation was better, this just moved the damp to adjacent walls/ceiling. This was a house I had actually lived in prior to letting for several years, there was no problem while I lived there.

Despite the damp being upstairs and downstairs, front and back, the fan in the attic did the trick, to prevent the tenant just turning it off to save on electricity I had to put in a power meter and pay for the power it uses myself, about £100 a year, but way better than fighting the damp.

Comment

I would suggest that you consider :

1. renewing the roof gutters and any vertical drain pipe on outside of wet wall at an early date. The existing gutters may be too shallow and not deep enough to carry all the rainwater coming off the sloping tiled roof. ( using the building service charge account to pay )

2. after a dry spell in June or July, paint the outside wall with masonry paint to water proof the outside wall surface. ( also using the building service charge account to pay )

3. Inside your own flat use a dehumidifier to dry the inside wall of room with wet problem and install plaster board to wall . ( cost charged to your own rental account )

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/wet-walls.htm

https://www.homebuilding.co.uk/2014/...iring-gutters/

http://www.sandtex.co.uk/products/sa...masonry-paint/

Comment

I have now completed the works to my flat.
                      I have:
                      - re-built the wardrobe on the other side of the room (against a internal wall, not cold wall)
                      - insulated the cold wall

My tenant has said that the room is a lot warmer now.
                      Next I'll be replacing the aluminium windows.
                      I'm hoping the condensation problem has now gone away.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to collective enfranchisement
                        by flyingfreehold
                        at risk of answering my own question, the leaseholder has to prove title which is a bit difficult if not registered........
                        21-05-2022, 21:23 PM
                      • collective enfranchisement
                        by flyingfreehold
                        Does a leaseholder have to be a registered proprietor to join a collective? Or is it sufficient for her/his/it to be a transferee whose interest is not yet registered?
                        21-05-2022, 18:51 PM
                      • Reply to Building works & S20 process
                        by scot22
                        It is relatively simple to administer process. However, definitely engage professional to define necessary work and project manage.

If I can, anybody can.
                        21-05-2022, 20:19 PM
                      • Building works & S20 process
                        by RichA
                        Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance...
                        21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
                      • Reply to collective enfranchisement
                        by Tipper
                        Ask lease-advice.org
                        21-05-2022, 18:59 PM
                      • Reply to Levy
                        by scot22
                        Thanks Gordon. There was no info other than amount and invoice which explained nothing !
                        21-05-2022, 17:16 PM
                      • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
                        by Macromia
                        They are correct that the purchase of the freehold has no relevance (although it would allow the three of you to alter the leases if you are all in agreement).

Unless you alter the leases you continue to split service charge costs according to what the terms of your leases say - sharing...
                        21-05-2022, 17:14 PM
                      • Reply to Changes to lease wording
                        by Lawcruncher
                        If the leases are going to be for 999 years there is not a lot of point imposing a restriction in such terms. It is also open to interpretation. You have to decide first if you are going to allow subletting at all. That has to depend on what people want. If any owner already sublets then you cannot...
                        21-05-2022, 17:09 PM
                      • Changes to lease wording
                        by bigalxyz
                        In the process of buying freehold for our building. 9 participants (from 11 flats).

Our solicitor will extend leases to 999 years for an additional fee if we want to. She has asked, as part of that extension process:

“Are there any amendments that you are seeking to make...
                        14-05-2022, 12:27 PM
                      • Reply to Levy
                        by Macromia
                        ...And it still going to depend on what it is for (and on what your lease allows to be charged for, and when.

Service charge demands have to include details such as a service address for the freeholder, and have to be accompanied by an appropriate copy of 'leaseholders rights and responsibilities',...
                        21-05-2022, 16:53 PM
                      Working...
                      X