Problem with block management company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with block management company

I need to report a block management company for rudeness and bullying towards landlords with leasehold flats but I cannot find their membership of an ombudsman scheme. I don't know where to go.

Rudeness and bullying of leaseholders is common occurrence because leaseholders have no ownership in the property and really just long term rental tenants.

You can go to Companies House website and search for names of directors for both freehold company and managing agent.

Comment

The redress scheme is explained here > https://www.gov.uk/government/public...edress-schemes I think you have to visit all 3 schemes and search for company, not sure what you do if not a member, it maybe like some other laws, where technically its an offence but its near impossible to get anyone to do anything about it.

You can still complain to FH, who we assume employs him ?
      Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

Don't bother.

I reported a block management company, and got no where.

I was asked to re-apply to the management company and ask them to send me a copy of their complaints proceedure, which of course, they did not.

When I finaly got a reply back from who ever the "association" was that the M.A. was affiliated to, they basicly said, without saying it, they did nothing wrong, and don't have to obey the lease regarding change of Company Secretaries, which they changed 4 times without the authorisation of the shareholders, and many more violations of proceedures.

Your best plan is to itemise everything they have done wrong, ask the other flats what they did wrong, then send a letter, itemised with the wrong doings to EVERY person in that M.A's Office, including to their home address.

State that if they do not rectify all the problems, and also pull thier finger out, your letter will go to press.

I assume your place is managed by a Managing
        Agent, usualy housed inside an estate agents.

Or if its an in house "company" that sub-contracts the running of the company, then contact the Directors ( who are normally shareholders and leaseholders ) to chastise the M.A.

The M.A. works for the freeholder, so contact the freeholder first.

Comment

Thank you for your full response which does not unfortunately help me. This company, owned and run by one individual, does not seem to have any affiliations. They report to an RTM company, not the Freeholder, of which I am a member but whose directors are even worse so I cannot go to them. The other flats are owned by these directors and would not dare complain so I am on my own. The only real complaints I have are about their teatment of myself and my letting agent who has given up anyn delaings with them but I am being pursued for an unfair invoice with no proof of fault. My last resort will be my local MP and then the press but I will probably threaten court first.
          Rgds.

Comment

Sounds to me that they should be member of a redress scheme, if not, investigate starting legal criminal proceedings and ask RTM why they involved in unlawful acts ?

I see that here > https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...me_leaflet.pdf it says it doesnt cover a RTM company but I believe it would cover a management company employed/instructed by an RTM.

Penalties

If an Agent does not join a government authorised consumer redress scheme they can be subject to a £5,000 fine from the local authority and can be ultimately closed down if they continue to breach their legal requirement to join such a scheme.
            After joining a scheme the Agent must comply with the scheme's Ombudsman decision as failure to do so may result in the Agent being removed from that scheme. This may then result in the Agent being unable to join another government authorised consumer redress scheme.
            By joining the Property Redress Scheme, the Property Professional confirms they will comply with the decision of an Ombudsman if a complaint goes that far.
            Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

We have the same issue. We have a Chairman and about 6 directors. The Chairman thinks they are the CEO of a FTSE 100 company and instructs all emails and basically runs the show, all final decisions seem to stop with them. They control everything, gets their relative to give their opinion and uses companies that they wants to use, we get the usual three quotes but of course they hold all the cards. I for one am unahppy with it, they do not even live at our flats but rents their flat out. I end up doing most of the work as I live here as most of the other directors cant be bothered. She is rude and a bully and tries to get sub-committees together to do gardening etc i.e get the residents to do it to save costs, again I am not happy about this. Pleas tell me there is something I can do. Trouble is they have managed to get their friends on the board on their side as they are all pally!!!

Comment

Where RTM companies are involved there is very little you can do to change the way a block is managed if you are not able to get support from a majority of the RTM shareholders.
                If you are able to get majority support (which will usually require you to be more convincing than the existing directors, simply being more knowlegable about leasehold laws and better able to manage the block won't nevessarily help), you should be able to use the companies Articles/rules to replace the directors.

If you can't get sufficient support from other leaseholders, your only option may be to look towards getting a manager appointed by tribunal (this can be done by a single leaseholder).
                This may be costly, especially if you are doing it alone, and would be time consuming, and you would need to first provide the RTM company (+ perhaps also freeholder) with full details of how they are at fault and give them time to put this right.
                If the management of the block doesn't improve by the set deadline, you would be able to ask a First Tier Tribunal to put a manager of your chosing in charge of thd block - but you would have to sufficiently prove fault with the existing management and show that it is "just and convinient" to have a manager appointed.
                The fact that a director/managing agent is considered rude is highly unlikely to be enough if the block is otherwise managed well (but it could be a relevant factor alongside other failings).

Comment

Regarding the management company who are apparently not members of an approved redress scheme, I would definitely suggest that they should be reported to the local council (and if no action is taken, take this up with your local councillor and MP).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X