Does the RTM get dissolved when the Freehold is purchased?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the RTM get dissolved when the Freehold is purchased?

Last year we successfully set up a RTM, taken over from our Freeholder. 3 of us became members of the new RTM Limited company (only 6 flats in the building). The Chairman of the RTM had his own property management company so was appointment as the company to manage the building.
    We then purchased the freehold of the building, each having a share, but one of the leaseholders didn't want to partake so the aforementioned Chairman bought 2 shares. He has continued to manage the building.
    The aforementioned Chairman has unfortunately proved to be rather a rogue, taking money from us all to replace a roof (9k), and the work not being done satisfactorily and it is now leaking badly. We have also found out from the previous Freeholder, that he actually paid alot less for the freehold purchase than we were advised - therefore not actually paying anything himself but acquiring 2 shares! We have taken legal advice, and the only action is to go to court which will cost approx 15-20k and we may not get these costs back. In the meantime we have a leaky building, with quotes of 16k to put right!
    My question is, does the RTM still exist, and therefore his appointment as the Management company? Can the new freeholders overturn him and manage the building ourselves? There are 4 of us, and he has 2 shares (6 in total).
    Or alternatively can we take the roofing contractor to Small Claims Court, given that we aren't the Management Company. Advice on way forward would be so appreciated as we are stuck in a very large rut!

1. If you have all the documentation on buying the freehold and he contributed nothing for his 2 shares , you could try making a claim in the local County court. Court fees for claims 15K to 50K are about £400.

For info on County Court fees , get a copy of EX50

2. The RTM company has the legal right to claim and take over the service charge administration from the existing managing agent appointed by the Freeholder. If the freehold has been sold to another company which is owned by 5 flats and not to the RTM company, then the RTM should still exist and still have the legal right to manage the block.

3. If the Management Company has a signed contract to administer the service charge account, , you can ask the RTM company to show you the MC's Service contract and see what notice period is required to terminate the Service.

Comment

Firstly you need to get rid of the RTM Chairman. I suggest an EGM is called and his resignation is sought.

If that doesn't work then sack him as a director of the RTM company. The RTM M&As should set out what you need to do.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Managing Agents Massively Screwed Up Section 42
        by divadee
        We are the freeholders to a block of flats. We own the freehold in a limited company.

Apparently one of the flats issued a Section 42 back in April with a date of July for any counter offers.

Our managing agents have only just told us about this TODAY and we are way out of...
        04-08-2020, 12:24 PM
      • Reply to Managing Agents Massively Screwed Up Section 42
        by sgclacy
        Is the address of your managing agent the same as the address at the Land Registry for you as freeholder?

If you believe the figure offered is too low, you could have therefore regarded the notice as invalid and that is why you have not responded. They would then have to apply to the court...
        05-08-2020, 20:54 PM
      • Reply to Advise & Guidence
        by ontljoshi
        As per lease - everyone supposed to maintain their frontages. The road is made private long time ago and there's no owners currently it is bona-vacatia now.
        05-08-2020, 19:10 PM
      • Advise & Guidence
        by ontljoshi
        HI All,

previously, the forum has helped me.now i need bit more advise & guidence.

I bought my massionate in 2016 at 310500 with 125yrs lease to live in and don't know due to what circumstances I feel that it hasn't increased in the valuation.
        my question is are...
        05-08-2020, 15:38 PM
      • Section 20 process
        by Seluoy2
        I am one of 6 leaseholders in a block of 6 flats. We have had historic issues with the roof, our Community Interest Company changed from one managing agent (with a public history of failings) to another, both have carried out poor repairs in the past.

Before Christmas the current managing...
        04-08-2020, 09:05 AM
      • Reply to Section 20 process
        by Gordon999
        Usually the scaffolding is put up by the scaffolding rental company. The roof repair work will be done by roofing company who worker may not be aware of the scaffolding on site.
        05-08-2020, 18:14 PM
      • Reply to freeholder snuggling to recover arrears
        by Gordon999
        Here is the website giving rules on claiming interest at the small claims court.

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-...k-out-interest
        05-08-2020, 18:07 PM
      • freeholder snuggling to recover arrears
        by Tim_woods
        Hi All,

I have a leaseholder that constantly refuses to pay service charges and ground rent. I’ve had endless court cases but they are slow and I’ve then struggled to get court fees back which have been added to everyone’s service charges including mine!

I’ve decided...
        03-08-2020, 14:54 PM
      • Freeholder in Administration
        by Mel A
        I am representing a group of investors in a property where the developer/freeholder has gone into administration. Two questions - does the administrator now technically own the freehold? and can they demand payment for repairs to the building that the freeholder should have carried out in order to protect...
        05-08-2020, 17:22 PM
      • Reply to Freeholder in Administration
        by Gordon999
        You can check online at Land Registry website for the name of current freeholder of your building. You may have to pay £3 by credit card to download. Also check the listing of company at Companies House website.
        05-08-2020, 17:57 PM
      Working...
      X