Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maintenance charger + reserve fund

Good afternoon,

I have received an application for payment of the maintenance charge for a flat I own, this charge also included an additional reserve fund (300 gbp).

3 years ago, I attended an AGM where the maintenance company at the time suggested adding this reserve fund in order to cover exterior decorations, it was agreed by all attendees that this would be for 2 years. A new maintenance company took over the previous company approx 2 years ago, last year the maintenance charge included the reserve fund, as expected, this year, I did not expect it.

Before I go back to them, I just want to know if I am right to question paying it when it was agreed for a 2 year period only. (The exterior works are due to happen next month)

No AGM has taken place since the last 3 years ago and no letters have been sent out stating that it will continue to be charged. It could well be a mistake but I just wanted to know my standing point in this.

Many thanks

Do you have any Printed Summary or Minutes of Meeting from AGM which can be quoted if you want to refere to what was agreed 3 years ago ?

Comment

To the best of my limited knowledge if it was agreed for a two year period only, and minuted as such, then that stands. I would certainly query it.

Comment

Thankyou for your replies.

I contacted my contact at the maintenance company.

He acknowledged that he was aware that the reserve fund was agreed for 2 years but he took it upon himself to demand it again "owing to the forthcoming decorating works – scheduled in the coming weeks. Further to this, the internal areas will need to be considered next, so the raising of additional funds does seem to make sense."

I'm not 100% clued up with the processes of how things should be done and affording it isn't the issue, it's more the principle of having to pay a sum I wasn't expecting and against what was last agreed..

The joys of apartments! I guess I just have to go along and pay up?

Comment

MarkGolf

You do not say if the AGM was a Freeholder company AGM (do you own a share of the Freehold?) or a Resident Association meeting.

I help run a block of flats where the tenants own the freehold, and we have a managing agent that we keep on a tight leash. What I have learnt over the years though experience is that the Freehold company AGM can vote on whatever they like (and it is good to have full agreement in case of a LVT hearing in case of disputes), but if the AGM decides to override the lease then the management company would be in a weak position to collect if a tenant decides to not pay.

So in your case, if the Lease allows for a sinking fund or a maintenance reserve or some other form of equalisation of service charges across years, then the Freehold company can do this (normally the directors would decide, or they would defer to the company AGM).

If not, you may still decide to go along with paying the demand, as it is sensible to have some reserves and to spread the costs, and £300 seems quite reasonable. From a personal point of view, I would be more concerned that the work that is going to be carried out has received several competing quotes so you are not overpaying for the work. The management company will charge a percent for managing the works (so they are not incentivised to find you the lowest quote). Tenants have the right to get involved in this process, and you should receive Section 20 notices of the work.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Recurrent leaks from flat upstairs
            by JK0
            Do you have insurance for the contents? Maybe there is loss of rent cover included there.
            18-05-2022, 06:11 AM
          • Recurrent leaks from flat upstairs
            by Ldawg
            The flat I rent out has suffered from recurrent leaks from upstairs since I purchased it, 4 leaks in 4 years. It's caused me to lose one tenant already. I feel like there is no incentive for the owner upstairs to sort the problem (check the plumbing etc) as the cost is always covered by insurance and...
            24-01-2022, 19:48 PM
          • Reply to RTM director service charge arrears
            by fos333
            This is the important question, what are the reasons for non payment?

Have demands been correctly served including the correct summaries of rights and obligations?

Are the landlord obligations under the lease being carried out?

Have service charge end of year accounts...
            17-05-2022, 21:48 PM
          • RTM director service charge arrears
            by ARG
            Hello, I am new here so please excuse me if this question has already been asked, but a search has drawn a blank.

I am a director of an RTM of a property with 25 flats. I would be very grateful if anyone here can advise whether a resident who is more than six months in arrears with his...
            17-05-2022, 15:38 PM
          • Reply to Neighbour Dispute over Bins
            by vmart
            Is there a restrictive covenant in the title of the commercial-property owner (CPO) giving you and the other lessee a right of way over the land?

Is the CPO a freeholder or leaseholder of the land?

With regard to the point related to '20 years' you are referring to adverse...
            17-05-2022, 21:06 PM
          • Neighbour Dispute over Bins
            by Tony-Edwards
            Hello

I could do with some guidance if anyone has any knowledge on this.

I have a 100 year old flat that was split from a larger building in 2000 and has a 999 year lease, it is next door to a commercial premises.

The only way to get to my flat is across their...
            17-05-2022, 14:40 PM
          • Reply to RTM director service charge arrears
            by vmart
            The RTM can make a money claim online but as this enquiry concerns service charges the lessee will have the right to have the service charges determined unless already agreed. Depending upon the lessee's response to the claim, the County Court may refer the claim to the FTT.

What are the...
            17-05-2022, 20:54 PM
          • Reply to Recurrent leaks from flat upstairs
            by Ldawg
            Thanks for your response.

All costs are being covered by the management company. So currently I'm not actually losing out so I'm not really sure what I'm claiming for! More just the stress of it all. And the potential loss of earning and making unrentable/saleable as you say. Yes the floor...
            17-05-2022, 20:22 PM
          • Reply to Lease Extension - Relativity
            by comm1985
            I for one would appreciate a more stable approach in deriving the premium...

In this instance what would

1. The sensible premium be?

A)£32000 (based on the value the actual short lease was just sold for i.e Relativity 65%)
            or
            B)£20,000 (based on graph...
            17-05-2022, 20:19 PM
          • Lease Extension - Relativity
            by comm1985
            Hoping to get some clarification,

If a flat (Outside Greater London) with 60 years left is sold for £110,000 and comparable properties with longer leases attain £160,000

What is the relativity in this case?

Would it be £110000 less 5.5% (to estimate for no act...
            17-05-2022, 15:12 PM
          Working...
          X