Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major Works after buying a Flat

Hello

Please would someone be able to help me. We recently purchase an ex local authority flat this month, the freeholder is a SE London council.

When we purchased the flat we were told that there was a service charge apportionment as we were completing during the financial year. We agreed to pay the vendor a portion of the annual service charge. The situation arose as on exchange/completion day (same day exchange and completion), we were only given the amount on email without the freeholder statement. As the amount was only £652 we were not too concerned and was happy to complete on this basis.

We were sent afterwards the statement which does show the remaining amount as £652 however there was a current balance of around £3,000 in respect of major works which was billed in June 2015.

Although we haven't been chased by the freeholder I'm woried that the major works plus any new major works bills we might be liable for. We never agreed or was asked during the purchase transaction to pay any of the major works and am taken aback by this.

Can anyone advise where we stand and if we ae liable considering we completed in July 15 and these were billed in June. Additionally if new major works bill arose which I assume would have been tendored for previously would be also be liable? I have read that you can go to theTrubuneral?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreiciated.

Your conveyancing solicitor should be answering the questions you have raised. its normal for buyer's conveyancing solicitor to make enquiries with freeholder on the cost of planned works before any exchange contracts.

Comment

Sounds like the seller did not forward the June statement / bill, and can be understandable if they are moving out, and maybe forgot to forward, but the freeholder will have know about all the curent and proposed service charges, and if asked ( Note :- if asked ) to produce costs for works not yet started, but part of the service charges, freeholder would have forwarded these costs to you.

If they did not, then they are not at fault, as they don't have to answer any questions from the buyer.

If there is planned maintenence, or proposed maintenence, or items deemed to need doing after you bought the lease, but not yet started, and not yet paid for, then as you are the leaseholders, you are responsible to pay for maintenence, or any works that have been planned to be undertaken, but not yet started.

Like a car, "he did not tell me it needed a Full service, new tyres and an expensive gearbox in 3 months time, when I bought the car"
      Car belongs to you, you pay for the repairs and maintenence, and not the previous owner.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
        by Flatman78
        Thanks Gordon999

You can see from above reply to Macromia that's your comment wouldn't be relevant to me. there is no managing agent. It's just me (FH) and LH in upstairs flat.
        Thanks for taking time to reply though....
        23-05-2022, 20:29 PM
      • S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
        by Flatman78
        Hi LZ Community

Just wondering if anyone's had/having any issues with S20 and allowing leaseholder 30 days to review estimates, raise concerns etc.

Building material prices have fluctuated massively since covid and brexit.
        with a combination of Brexit, impact from russia/ukraine...
        23-05-2022, 14:42 PM
      • Reply to S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
        by Flatman78
        Thanks Macromia, I'm hoping not to have to request quotes to include extra 'contingency' as I know some building materials literally jumped by up to 80% pretty much overnight and so I / we could end up paying a hell of a lot more than we have to go with a 'protective' quote.

It's only me...
        23-05-2022, 20:27 PM
      • RTM Hand Over Issues
        by martin15
        RTM handing over issues

Our RTM companies comprise 4 blocks of 6 identical two bedroom flats and each block is registered at Companies House as a separate company.
        Following the acquisition date, it was discovered the former directors ignored legal advice and changed property management companies...
        23-05-2022, 19:36 PM
      • Reply to RTM Hand Over Issues
        by ash72
        You could sue the other company for the money owed.
        23-05-2022, 19:48 PM
      • Reply to RTM Hand Over Issues
        by Hudson01
        I am clearly no expert but i think this statement from the all knowing WWW appears to fit the bill for what has happened to you.................

'' Fraud can be broadly defined as the deliberate use of deception or dishonesty to disadvantage or cause loss (usually financial) to another...
        23-05-2022, 19:48 PM
      • Reply to Old managing agents accounts
        by Gordon999
        You could show the last service charge demanded by previous managing agent . There should be a final summary of the service charge account.to show the unspent funds.
        23-05-2022, 18:26 PM
      • Old managing agents accounts
        by jazzythumper
        Since obtaining the RTM and changing the managing agent, we have never been given full accounts / receipts for the previous year(s). We believe that as the old freeholder and leaser holder of one of the flats were represented by the same solicitor that prior to the sale of the freehold, we were subsidising...
        20-05-2022, 11:21 AM
      • Reply to Building works & S20 process
        by Macromia
        Good questions.
        The fact that the cost of work means that Section 20 consultation is required doesn't necessarily mean that it is major work that will require a project manager and, although most leases will contain clauses that allow the cost of project management to be recovered from leaseholders,...
        23-05-2022, 18:23 PM
      • Building works & S20 process
        by RichA
        Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance...
        21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
      Working...
      X