freehold house purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

freehold house purchase

I’m after some advice please for my partner’s parents. They have 2 properties on leasehold.

Property 1:

They have asked the management agents who act on behalf of the landlord about buying the freehold as they wish to sell the house. The letter they received was a request for £235 from another company (not the managment company)who represent the landlords. It has no details of what they get for the money and they also state if they pay £325 it will be processed quicker?

I’m in the thinking of composing a letter saying that we require details about the landlord/s so we can contact them directly as I’m a little bit wary of this letter with the demands for a figure without anything being done except a fee to process the application. I would think this is classed as unreasonable costs already but I’m not an expert.

Property 2:

They purchased a bungalow that was a wreck at auction. After unsuccessfully trying to contact the landlords to pay the rent and discuss buying the freehold they are in limbo about what to do next. The paperwork they do have has the landlords address but they fail to communicate back via their own solicitor. My main concern on this is the lease expires in less than 25 years time and the property is now valued at 4 times what was paid (major repair work). The paperwork from some years ago asked for £20k to buy the freehold. What are the options and can we force the landlords to at least communicate or force the sale through arbitration even if they object.

thanks

Lease-advice.org gives valuable advice on enfranchising your freehold and lease extension using the rights in law for leaseholders. It's government sponsored so can be trusted.

You can get your freeholders' names from the Land Registry website by downloading a copy of the title for £3 each. Make sure you use the .gov website and not one of the many money grabbing fakes!

Comment

If the freeholder is a company , you can make a check for the company's registered address and directors names at Companies House Records.

You can also check if the company asking for £235 enquiry fee has the same registered address and directors ?

You can download the free guide to enfranchising a leasehold house from www.lease-advice.org .

Comment

I have the details of the freehold via the land registry but the company in question went into liquidation in 2008 & that's were the trail ends. As far as I'm aware the company was brought out so I'm thinking that the person has also acquired the freehold but who? Plus there are 2 other names which I've tracked to another company?

I've cross referenced the management company & directors but nothing has linked them except that the 2 parties (management company & agents)were involved again in a dispute with someone buying a freehold & it ended up in an arbitration - on that alone I'm suspicious. Yes it may be nothing but both linked together from a previous case?

Comment

You should be able to check Companies House records for name of 2008 Liquidator Firm and if the company in liquidation was actually dissolved , in which case the freehold may have paased to the Treasury office solicitor. You should use the company number to track the change of names.

You need to study the free guide to work out cost of buying the freehold for the leasehold bungalow with only 25 years left on the lease.

Comment

If the freehold held by dissolved company has passed to Treasury Office , this website for Bona Vacantia may help :

https://www.gov.uk/apply-to-buy-your...reversion-bvc4

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
              by Flatman78
              Thanks Gordon999

You can see from above reply to Macromia that's your comment wouldn't be relevant to me. there is no managing agent. It's just me (FH) and LH in upstairs flat.
              Thanks for taking time to reply though....
              23-05-2022, 20:29 PM
            • S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
              by Flatman78
              Hi LZ Community

Just wondering if anyone's had/having any issues with S20 and allowing leaseholder 30 days to review estimates, raise concerns etc.

Building material prices have fluctuated massively since covid and brexit.
              with a combination of Brexit, impact from russia/ukraine...
              23-05-2022, 14:42 PM
            • Reply to S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
              by Flatman78
              Thanks Macromia, I'm hoping not to have to request quotes to include extra 'contingency' as I know some building materials literally jumped by up to 80% pretty much overnight and so I / we could end up paying a hell of a lot more than we have to go with a 'protective' quote.

It's only me...
              23-05-2022, 20:27 PM
            • RTM Hand Over Issues
              by martin15
              RTM handing over issues

Our RTM companies comprise 4 blocks of 6 identical two bedroom flats and each block is registered at Companies House as a separate company.
              Following the acquisition date, it was discovered the former directors ignored legal advice and changed property management companies...
              23-05-2022, 19:36 PM
            • Reply to RTM Hand Over Issues
              by ash72
              You could sue the other company for the money owed.
              23-05-2022, 19:48 PM
            • Reply to RTM Hand Over Issues
              by Hudson01
              I am clearly no expert but i think this statement from the all knowing WWW appears to fit the bill for what has happened to you.................

'' Fraud can be broadly defined as the deliberate use of deception or dishonesty to disadvantage or cause loss (usually financial) to another...
              23-05-2022, 19:48 PM
            • Reply to Old managing agents accounts
              by Gordon999
              You could show the last service charge demanded by previous managing agent . There should be a final summary of the service charge account.to show the unspent funds.
              23-05-2022, 18:26 PM
            • Old managing agents accounts
              by jazzythumper
              Since obtaining the RTM and changing the managing agent, we have never been given full accounts / receipts for the previous year(s). We believe that as the old freeholder and leaser holder of one of the flats were represented by the same solicitor that prior to the sale of the freehold, we were subsidising...
              20-05-2022, 11:21 AM
            • Building works & S20 process
              by RichA
              Hi. I have a freehold after selling a leasehold flat in a block of 4 flats. We don't currently have a managing agent, so these duties currently fall to me (I am holding off appointing a managing agent whilst the leaseholders consider whether they want to RTM).

The block needs some maintenance...
              21-05-2022, 17:20 PM
            • Reply to Building works & S20 process
              by Macromia
              Good questions.
              The fact that the cost of work means that Section 20 consultation is required doesn't necessarily mean that it is major work that will require a project manager and, although most leases will contain clauses that allow the cost of project management to be recovered from leaseholders,...
              23-05-2022, 18:23 PM
            Working...
            X