Estimates for non qualifying works (not major works)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Estimates for non qualifying works (not major works)

We're an RTM and are planning works which will cost less than £250 per flat/leaseholder.
    Are we required to obtain more than one estimate or can we go ahead with one if we believe the price is reasonable?

No matter if you think the price is reasonable, it is normally wise when engaging a contractor to get 3 quotes in. Your estimate may not be in the correct ballpark, I have had a couple of jobs completed recently at a half of my initial estimate pre quotes. It's not as if it is difficult to get a few quotes.

As to your actual question I don't see any reason other than above, but will your leaseholders not get a bit peed off if this was to be common practice and you weren't seen to be trying to get best value. .

Comment

Thanks Andy. Oh believe me we do give our leaseholders best value and have done so ever since we took over the management of the block.
      In this case, we have received a previous estimate for this particular job. The problem is the two contractors are providing a different solution to remedy a water ingress problem so they are not a like for like estimates. One contractor seems a lot more experienced and knowledgeable though.

Comment

Water Ingress is a pain. We currently have a leak but do not know the cause, and a roofer and seperate builder have both not managed to fix the problem. Has the source of your leak been positively ascertained.

Comment

Originally posted by Carine View Post
          less than £250 per flat/leaseholder.
          Are we required to obtain more than one estimate or can we go ahead with one if we believe the price is reasonable?
          Yes and no.

Your job is to get the job done for a reasonable price, but you are also charged with getting the best tradesmen to do the job.
          If the best, most reliable, caring, logical, no problem too small, gets mistakes rectified without question, then if that man is the dearest, then you consider all aspects, and not the price.

i have to make the same decisions as you.
          I often say, I only trust one or two to do this job, so have only asked for 2 quotes, and one did not quote. I don't rush out to get another quote as I know the one and only one that quoted will do the job properly
          They trust my judgement here ( most of the time ).

Some times only one quote is received, and I have to go with that one.

Comment

As to quotes in general. I have a 'goto' plumber, carpenter, electrician. But I always get competing quotes to check the prices I am given. As Ram has intimated every time you use a new contractor you are introducing an element of risk and price is not the only element. Some leaseholders (in my case fellow freeholders) struggle to see past price.

Comment

Originally posted by andybenw View Post
              Water Ingress is a pain. We currently have a leak but do not know the cause, and a roofer and seperate builder have both not managed to fix the problem. Has the source of your leak been positively ascertained.
              Not 100%.
              We have a building surveyor's report but the cause is not clear cut. We had cracked pebble dash for years which was one of the causes. The wall has now been re-rendered however the lower section of the brickwork to this particular wall was saturated with water which means we couldn't render it at the time. We left it until the good weather to allow it to dry.
              Now we can do the works. One contractor wants to remove the brickwork completely (we think it is unnecessary), they are the people who did the render and we are not particularly happy with their workmanship, the other suggests building a new flashing wall around it and cap it along with a new flashing curb that will make the water drain away from our building. That sounds like a good solution as it not only deals with water ingress to the wall but to the ground as well.

Water ingress is indeed a pain.

We've identified another problem on the same side of our building. This is a never ending story.

Ram - thank you.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to AGM cancelled.
                by Andrea Cunningham
                Call an EGM. Make sure you give proper notice and that it is legal (download a boilerplate notice off the internet). In that EGM you can vote new directors in, or even vote the old directors out.
                26-01-2022, 07:14 AM
              • AGM cancelled.
                by Grumio
                Is this legal?

A bit of background, we currently have three directors, we are allowed to have up to a maximum of eight directors according to the articles of association. We are all leaseholders. Last summer the three directors decided to hire a managing agent who is now in charge of the...
                26-01-2022, 00:46 AM
              • Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
                by SouthernDave
                Has anyone had dealing with doubling ground rents?
                i have just asked for a quote for a lease extension and they are proposing new ground rent terms of a doubling ground rent every 25 years. My commercial guy has said some lenders don't like these which may reduce the value of the property of i...
                25-01-2022, 22:53 PM
              • Reply to What can I do about my right of way.
                by Trevor62

This is the ROW as it is in the land registry.

Can I ask another question?

As you can read it says Boundary determined by edge of pavings. Before the other party moved out they built a fence along the boundary though they build it on my side of the...
                25-01-2022, 20:58 PM
              • What can I do about my right of way.
                by Trevor62
                I live in the upper flat of a maisonette, I have a right of way that goes around the back of the building from the side entrance, there are only two flats in the building.

Anyway for years there has been a gate with a lock to go through the right of way, now for the past year the flat has...
                23-01-2022, 23:01 PM
              • Reply to Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
                by Andrea Cunningham
                As I said right at the beginning, there are some very sound reasons to do this which I wasn't going to go into. Suffice it to say that the current situation is one where the building I live in suffers under the tyranny of the majority of the larger building. So what is being sought is genuine control...
                25-01-2022, 20:24 PM
              • Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
                by Andrea Cunningham
                The estate I live on has 2 blocks. All the leaseholders are members of the company which owns the freehold and manages the block ("Share of freehold").

Suppose one of the 2 blocks decides to go it alone - so in other words gain the freehold from a company they are already a member...
                04-10-2021, 12:07 PM
                by Andrea Cunningham
                There is already no ground rent collected - so as I understand it the value of the freehold might be quite low anyway.

If this is all done by negotiation then it is a moot point regardless, and it brings me back to what I was actually asking about, which is how to fairly and equitably split...
                25-01-2022, 20:10 PM
                by Macromia
                That potentially raises an interesting question about what happens to any money that needs to be paid for the enfranchisement.
                At the moment payment is handed over, all those in the block being enfranchised would presumably cease to be members of the company - so wouldn't be entitled to any share...
                25-01-2022, 19:40 PM
                by Macromia
                That may not be your intention, but it definitely seems like you haven't given proper consideration to what enfranchisement would involve.

What do the leases specifically say about what is included within service charge/maintenance costs and how service charge costs are to be split?...
                25-01-2022, 19:25 PM
              Working...
              X